You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Newyearhopes" started this thread

Reg: Dec 20th 2009

Children: Hayden -7/08/05 and Cerys 31/01/11

Sunday, September 18th 2011, 10:50pm

A few weaning questions!!!

Hi-am a bit embarrassed really having done all this five years ago but although at the time i never thought i would forget a thing of DS growing up but some things i just cant recall so was just hoping for some advice.

DD is 7 and half months (unbeliveable!!) she was weighed last week and is 16.5lb which means she is dinky but in proportion with height (gonna be a shorty like mummy!!) anyway the HV said that is i should be giving her breastfeed and her solid meal at the same time of day. She has breakfast, lunch and Tea and does love her solids, eating lumpy finger foods brilliantly with no teeth but the problem i have is she will guzzle away her milk from me but if i then put her in the highchair and try and feed her fish pie for example she has two spoonfuls and is full!! I told HV that i was trying to give her breastfeed half an hour/ hour before solids but was told not to,and that she is old enough to have three meals a day and breastfeed before bed!! Any ideas??

In addition as she is only having four big breastfeeds (sometimes extra ones if like now she has a cold) i worry a bit that she is not getting enough fluid as she has a sippy cup and although she can suck through it she often spits it out!! I have been adding cooled boiled water to her purees but now she is having lumpy food its not so easy to get it in to her!!

Thanks for reading x NYH X

ME - 31-PCO DH -32-All fine
DS- 07-08-05 (NATURALLY) DD-31/1/11-(CLOMID 1ST CYCLE) Natural :BFP: 6/10/2014

[/url

babydust TO ALL X XX X

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Monday, September 19th 2011, 4:17pm

Hey

Sounds like your LO is doing brilliantly!

I am still BFing Freya (have decided to carry on until she is one now since it's only a few weeks away) and I have always taken my cues from her. She has three meals a day and a couple of snacks now - she's just over ten months - and is down to roughly three/four BFs a day. I generally offer her milk when she wakes up in the morning and at 12pm, 4pm and at bed time. Sometimes she wants it, sometimes she doesn't, she will soon yell if she does! I've never given it at the same time as a main meal as I can't imagine she would have the room for both. In the morning I try and give her at least half an hour after milk before we have breakfast and just try and space the rest throughout the day.

She's quite little too, on the 50th percentile still, and I've spent a lot of time worrying about her size, but she is happy and healthy and into everything so I've just got to let her get on with things and be guided by her. Some days she eats more than others but over all I think she is doing OK.

As for water,I don't think you need to bother boiling it after six months - or am I being a terrible mother for not doing so?!?! Freya has got a sippy cup with a valve on it, I think it's a Tommee Tippee one, it really doesn't leak and she's really starting to get the hang of it now. I tend to offer her water with her meals and then just have the cup within her reach during the day. It's taken a while but she goes and helps herself now and I've just realised she's pretty much drunk the lot today now - I think it holds a couple of hundred mls. To start with she would just play with the cup a bit, hence why the fact that it REALLY doesn't leak is so great.

If you are still BFing your LO is probably getting enough fluid from that and food itself probably has quite a lot of water in it. If you are getting plenty of poos and wees then I wouldn't worry too much. Ha, listen to me, I am the world's biggest worrier when it comes to this food lark, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about here!!!! :snigger:

I would say just go with your instinct and that of your LO, she will soon let you know what she wants. I have to say I do sometimes wonder about HV's advice, I'm afraid, I'm not very impressed with the ones I've dealt with so I have to admit I tend to steer clear.

Hope this helps a bit!

Love Gracie

xxxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, September 19th 2011, 10:28pm

Hi hun

I've just sat here nodding away to Gracie's reply! I agree it does sound like you're doing a great job! :smile:

I weaned our DD1 18 months ago and have forgotten half of what I did. :innocent: I have just started to wean our DD2, I give her a BF wait an hour or so before giving her any solids or she doesn't want any either and I did the same with our DD1.

With water at this age they don't need a great deal, I remember asking my HV about it with DD1 who would have an ounce of water on a good day. It wasn't until she was about 9-10 months when she started to drink more.

Your DDs weight sounds fine, she's not going to be massive if you're not. 16lb 5oz sounds good to me, our DD1 was 17lb 6.5oz and went up to the 2nd centile when she was 1 which was perfect for her as she's only dinky and the same goes for your DD.

Good luck and I hope you feel better about things soon.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13