You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Livinginhope" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: One beautiful baby girl born on Christmas Day 2010

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 4:09pm

9 month old, suddenly doesn't like to be spoon fed.

The title says it all really! Has anyone else noticed their babies do this?

Lilee-Mary has always been a really good eater and will take whatever is given to her, so we've been really lucky in that respect. Now, I am noticing (only in the last few days) that if I try and spoon feed her, she gets all upset but if I give her finger foods, like toast, fruit, rice cakes, pizza, etc, she is fine. She has had a mild tummy infection since last Saturday and the doctor said it could be this, but I read that this is about the age where they start wanting to be independent. I'm not worried, in fact I am all for encouraging her, it means that I can get on and do stuff, but I must admit I am in need of some inspiration for finger food ideas...can anyone help me please?
Me (33) DH (34) LSC 2 x ICSI and 1 FET (09) - all BFN's!
ICSI MAR/APRIL 10 - BFP!!!! :happy: First scan 11/05 - saw the [zx076]
Dating scan 15/06/10 - Our gorgeous baby girl arrived on Christmas Day 2010 xx

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 4:49pm

It could also be that she is teething and her mouth is sore ?

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 5:08pm

Hey

Freya has never let me spoon fed her, unless it's her precious yoghurt (hence why I did baby led weaning). Try just loading the spoon and letting your LO pick it up and put in her mouth for herself. Messy to start with but it's amazing how quickly their aim improves!

x

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 7:01pm

Hiya,

O was the same as Gracie's Freya. Wouldn't let me spoon feed her at all unless it was yoghurt so we also went down the baby led weaning route.

Finger food can literally be anything. If she's enjoying eating and feeding herself you could make your own pizza's, or chicken strips, or breadsticks, anything really providing you make sure there's not much salt in it.

We've always given O exactly the same as what we've had so it could be dairylea sandwiches, or ham sandwiches, or pie and veg, or homemade burgers, or anything!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 9:55pm

Hiya

Have you tried giving her a spoon to play with at the sane time? It can help as a distraction x

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 10:04pm

I also think it could be her teeth because Daniel goes exactly the same sometimes when he is getting more teeth. He also gets an upset tummy due to teething sometimes.

Hope this helps xx

Thursday, September 29th 2011, 10:37pm

Thanks to all of your responses. She did actually let me feed her some cauliflower cheese today, which she normally woofs down, but after 5/6 spoons she started crying and wouldn't let me feed her any more. So I gave her an assortment of finger food and she took that. She does like playing with the spoon, but ends up putting it down the back of her throat and gagging, but I suppose its all part of the learning game. :)

Thanks for your idea's on the finger foods. I have been up till now, concentrating on being creative on the spoon-fed foods, so haven't had a chance to think about finger foods too much. I went on-line today and got a few idea's from Annabell Karmel, not sure about buying her book, 100 finger foods, can anyone recommend it?

Not sure if it is her teeth or not. I don't think she is cutting any that I can see or feel. I think perhaps it is more her tummy and that she wants to be Little Miss Independent! :smile:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Livinginhope" (Sep 29th 2011, 10:39pm)

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, September 30th 2011, 7:36am

My LO is very independent so I know what you mean.

I've got it but was given it by a friend. There are some good snacks in there but the main thing I recommend is just goig her everything to try. If she's happy and ok feeding herself then I would be inclined to let her.

We all eat together round the table and we all eat the same thing and O loves it. She feels included and it teaches her how to behave round a table.

There's a bit in the baby led weaning section with recipes for finger foods. Don't forget it doesn't have to be 'clean and dry' food, pasta and bolognese is a good one!

Friday, September 30th 2011, 7:58am

Thanks for that, I may see if I can loan it from the library.

We eat around the table too, and LM really enjoys being part of it. Your right, its definately good to teach them how to behave around a table.

She loves pasta and bolognese, but I didn't think of it giving it to her as a finger food as thought it might be too slippy for her to pick up, but I shall give it a ago. Mind you, if she can pick up banana which is very slippy, then I am sure she'll master the art of picking up the pasta. :happy:

I suppose my only concern is that, if she is feeding herself then sometimes a lot of it goes on the floor or in her bib. When I am feeding her, I know that she is eating it. I suppose its all part of the learning process!

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Friday, September 30th 2011, 3:45pm

Frusili (sp) pasta is great, the spirals pick up a lot of the sauce and Freya certainly has no trouble scoffing them down!

You are right, that's the only thing with letting them feed themselves, you don't really know how much they are eating! Still, as long as there is plenty your LO will stop when she's had enough as babies are self regulating.

xxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, October 1st 2011, 4:19pm

It is a massive learning process. Once she learns how to pick stuff up and get it in she'll be well away. She may even surprise you!

She'll keep eating until she's had enough. Eventually she will be feeding herself anyway, Mu LO has Been eating with a fork and spoon for a couple of months now and it's scary how mast they grow up!