You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "hopeful h" started this thread

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Sunday, November 13th 2011, 11:09pm

Follow on milk, is it necessary?

DS is just over 11 months and only has two bottles of formula a day now, 7oz before breakfast and 7oz at bedtime (still won't tolerate a cup or beaker of any kind!) He has a really good diet and eats everything at the moment.

I just wondered about moving on to cows milk or follow on and I wondered is the follow on really better than the cows normal whole milk. DS is currently on aptamil from birth but has cows milk in cereal in the morning and in some meals so I'm hoping when the time comes he won't be too bothered by the change.

Would love to hear what everyone else does. BTW my health visitor just told me to do whatever I felt was the best, hmmmmm, big help!

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Sunday, November 13th 2011, 11:51pm

I personally didnt bother with follow on milk, just after a year i very much ditched the steriliser and the formula and went to cows milk straight from the fridge. however if they were sick and not eating i did give them the follow on here and there so they got the extra nutrients that they were missing from food!
Never had any problems with the change over at all, and was it a good feeling to stop steriling - damn i hated that thing!!
Go with your instincts when the time comes, don't think there are any rules as such x
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, November 14th 2011, 8:00am

We still use follow on milk for our girls (22 months old). It definitely is not necessary. We find it useful though - it has lots of iron in it (which your little one can and should be getting from diet).

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, November 14th 2011, 9:28am

We never used follow on milk. In fact when she turned 1 we let her have a taste of cows milk and we never looked back! She preferred it to formula.

Took me a bit longer to stop sterilising teats though cos of all the bugs so only stopped when we started using a cup.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Mr C

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 30th 2008

Children: Blessed with NonId Twin Girls!

Monday, November 14th 2011, 10:39am

We are planning to skip follow on milk.

Girls are nearly 11months old and they are already reducing the formula they take, they don't seem to want it. They do drink water at meal times and they get cows milk in their breakfast every day.

So, once they reach a year old, we'll switch to cow's milk for their morning and night bottles.
Our Diary
ISCI 1 - Mar/Apr 2009 - :BFN: ICSI 2 - Dec/Jan 2010 - :BFN: ISCI 3 - Mar/Apr 2010 - :BFP:
Our twin girls were born at 38 weeks on 21st December 2010. Feeling very blessed.

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Monday, November 14th 2011, 12:58pm

This is an interesting thread! I am currently musing over the same thing, my thinking is to go to cows' milk but to maybe use a vitamin and iron supplement. Freya is already on an iron tonic as her levels were a bit low so part of me is a bit worried about the lack of it in her diet. She just doesn't seem to like formula though, I am still BFing and struggling with the fact that I really need to think about stopping before too much longer. I think my battle is going to be to get her to drink milk in any form other than from my (.)(.) but that's for another thread I guess..................................

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Monday, November 14th 2011, 4:49pm

I never used follow on milk. I BF til DD was 14 months but started giving her some cows milk at 12 months. My H.V. said that it is all a money making scheme rather than actual necessary nutrients etc. If they have a balanced diet then they should be getting all they need from their food too xxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN :-(
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN :bawl:
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, November 14th 2011, 5:10pm

*Steps on soapbox*
It is against the law to market infant formula to new babies in this country. To get around this, the mmanufacturers have created 'follow on milk' with slightly different levels of nutrients and they can then call this a different product so they can legally market it. This means that their brand name is out there and if you decide not to breastfeed, they hope you will choose their brand. The formula which you give to a new baby is also suitable from 6 months and after one year. However after one year, a child is getting a wide variety of nutrients from their diet and their irone requirements in particular are lower. Cows milk does is a suitable drink (and it tastes much better) from one year and if your child is eating a wide variety of foods including fruit, vegetables, protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats, then they don't need any extra vitamins/minerals from formula milk. If there was a need for it, then your HV would have recommended it.

*Steps down from soapbox*