You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

• "Grace" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, December 1st 2011, 7:56pm

More sleep problems

As the title suggests I have encountered another problem that leaves me helpless (and frustrated). L has been sleeping no problem (waking every 3-4 hours to feed) from 6 till 5:30/6am he settled at night really easily, he had his bath, some baby massage, feed, swaddle and then bed. He might give a few squeaks or wriggle a bit before he would settle down and go to sleep, for the last week though as soon as he realises that bathtime is over he starts to fuss, then he stops to feed but as soon as he's full he starts to fuss some more, he's then swaddled (still fussing) and put down to bed where he starts to wail with a vengence. I have tried to calm him down in various ways before putting him down to bed but he wails if you hold him and wails if you put him down. To start with it would only be for about 30 seconds before he would then just go to sleep, it moved to 1-3 minutes within a few days and this evening it took me an hour to get him to go to sleep with repeated picking up and walking round to calm him down and I even removed his swaddle and put him in a sleeping bag in the hope that would help. Why are we going backwards? it used to take us an hour to get him to sleep a month ago but then he got really good and we've gone backwards again! removing the swaddle did calm him down a bit but then his arms kept waking him up and I'm sure that he's now going to wake every 1-2 hous tonight because he won't resettle himself to sleep at the end of a sleep cycle without his swaddle on (I'll be knackered tomorrow). He's tired but not too tired, I have never left him alone to cry and he won't suck anything or breastfeed to sleep any ideas on what my next move should be? when he wakes in the night he usually settles no problem it's just when he goes to bed initially.

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Thursday, December 1st 2011, 8:15pm

Oh Grace, I can't offer any sensible advice, I used to be very naughty/lazy and keep Freya up with us when she was tiny and then just BF her to sleep! You have my sympathy though as we have gone backwards on the sleep front too. Freya keeps waking up and the only thing that seems to work is a quick BF, we did two hours of CC last night before I caved!

Hope you have a better night tonight. Sending :hugs:

xx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Grace

Princess of the Universe

• United Kingdom

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, December 2nd 2011, 7:07pm

Thanks Gracie, Sadly I had to do what I didn't want to do which was I had to put him down wailing and walk away. I tried everything to stop him crying after his last feed and he just wouldn't (see I thought tonight I was going to feed him and instead of putting him into his bed when he fussed I would walk around and cuddle until he got all sleepy but NOOOOO he had other ideas). Eventually I put him down and walked to the door and sat there, he cried for about 4 minutes (although it felt like 4 hours and I cried too) then he went quiet for a minute (I carried on crying as i'd got into the swing o it by then) then he cried for another minute before going to sleep. I feel awful, I don't want to put a 10 week old down to cry but I just don't see what else I could do, he cried more if I held him :( The noise he makes isn't an upset one it's an angry one, he seems furious about something.

J used to wake in the night (always at 2am) and what we did was dh would go to him and offer him a drink out of a cup (water or milk) he would, of course, refuse as he wasn't really hungry then we would do CC and offer him the same choice (and always dh went in) he cried for about an hour before going back to sleep and we were lucky as he didn't do it again. Hope you have a better night tonight too as it's so frustrating when you can see that full night of sleep but it's just out of reach!

Gracie

What's Up?

Friday, December 2nd 2011, 8:09pm

Aw Grace :hugs: It's awful listening to them cry isn't it. Glad he went to sleep after just a few minutes though.

We've done CC and offered water with only DH going in. It was nearly two hours the other night before I caved in as I couldn't stand it any longer. Freya is very cross too, she rolls around the cot and won't look at water at all. Last night I had to pick her up, I cuddled her for a few minutes and she went back to sleep until I put her down, of course. I think her teeth are on the move though so some Calpol and a quick BF did the trick. She is being quite slow with her teeth, she only has two so far and will be 13 months next week. This is not helping with the quitting BFing though!! :rolleyes:

Hope your little man settled more easily tonight. :cuddle

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, December 4th 2011, 8:39pm

Oi. Stop beating yourselves up. You are fabulous Mummies.

Grace, maybe thats what he wanted, to be put down. O is like that. I put her down awake and when she was little she had a bit of a cry and then went to sleep! Even now she doesn't like being cuddled to sleep. In fact she doesn't like cuddling full stop! Prefers to settle herself. My friends daughter however likes being cuddled to sleep and soothed. The thing is don't beat yourself up about putting him down. Sometimes you exhaust everything else.

Gracie, hope the calpol helps and you get some sleep soon. Teeth are a pain.

Sending you both lots of loves.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Gracie

What's Up?

Sunday, December 4th 2011, 8:49pm

Thanks Flic :cuddle

Grace - How have you got on the last couple of evenings?

We've not bothered with anything the last few nights so it's back to normal, still feeding in the night, but it's much less stressful and frankly quicker! I know I have to deal with this at some point but for the moment I can live with it. No sign of actual teeth yet but F had a very hot red cheek this avo, haven't given her anything yet as she didn't seem distressed so we'll she how she gets on tonight. Teeth are a pain, it would be so much easier if we all had false ones! I mean, they are a pain coming through in the first place, then they all fall out, then you go through growing a load more and then you have to spend a small fortune making sure they don't fall out for as long as possible!! Guess they are quite handy though................:snigger:

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Grace

Princess of the Universe

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, December 7th 2011, 8:24pm

He's been variable, some days he starts wailing before bedtime and sometimes half way through bathtime. Today I've been trying to get him to sleep in his bed during the day as he's refusing to sleep in his chair in the lounge now. Needless to say he spent a lot of time wailing before I gave up, in the plus side he was so knackered this evening that I put him in his cot and it was like I'd tranquilised him :) So if I can cope with the crying during the day then I get a good bedtime! It's a good job he's really cute or I might have given him away to the postman today!

I asked for advice from a nanny with some 25 years experience and she said that babies if you get them sleepy enough (but not too tired), swaddle them and then put them down, full, comfy with a clean nappy they should drift off to sleep. Is this true? If so why does this not apply to either of my sons?? She seemed baffled by the fact that L wouldn't go to sleep even though he needed to and there was nothing wrong (other than the fact that he was tired and was cross about it). Do other people children go to sleep on their own? mine don't!! J didn't go to sleep during the day without a fight until he was 8 months old, where am I going wrong?

Poor Freya, J always gets 4 teeth at once but they don't seem to bother him that much, he's terrible if he's got a cold but teeth don't seem to hurt him - that said the ones he's currently growing do seem to be bothering him as he keeps telling me they hurt, they are molars so they don't cut through the gum well. I hope her teeth come through soon, usually once they've cut the gum they get much better.