You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "BooBoo" started this thread

Reg: Jul 15th 2009

Children: one perfect little girl

Monday, January 9th 2012, 10:17pm

introducing finger foods after 4 weeks on purees

Hi peeps
just wanting a bit of advice.... LO is 26 weeks old today. we started giving her tastes of purees at 22 weeks old and she has now tasted a variety of fruit and veg. i was now hoping to give her some finger foods and trying abit of mix and match of purees and fingerfoods. BUT because she started on purrees i'm terrified L will try and swallow before she chews....iyswim.
i know if i was BLW then i would be ok to give her finger foods now but after 4 weeks of purees should i be more careful about it incase my LO decides she wants to swallow and not chew or will she know not to do that... i just feel like i've introduced so many purrees that the next step is to try some finger foods but it does scare me. or do i need to introduce more lumps in her food before starting the fingerfoods to get her used to chewing/sucking. i have some of them net baby feeders but are they bad practice to use? also most books ect seem to say the finger foods are from 7-9 month so i'm confused.

any advice appreciated as i'm just terrrified of L choking cos i've moved onto the next step too soon

thank you :D

1st ICSI :BFN: ;(
2nd ICSI :BFP: happydance

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, January 9th 2012, 10:34pm

Hiya,

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying finger foods. Just put them in front of her and see what she does!

There may be lots of gagging but a baby's gag reflex is a lot further forward than ours so it is normal.

Give a banana to suck on!

The books that say from 7-9 months are olliwing strict stage weaning. If you ask your HV she will probably tell you that finger foods should be introduced from 6 months (mine did!)

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, January 9th 2012, 11:04pm

Hi hun

I started weaning both of our girls on purees at about 5 months, at 6 months I introduced finger foods but kept up with purees or lumpier food until about 8 months when they both decided they didn't want mashed up food and went onto finger foods apart from yoghurt which is still I spoon feed to DD2. Flic is right about the gagging but that is normal, your LO won't necessarily recognise it as food straight away, they tend to pick it up have a feel, drop some on the floor, pick up another bit have a taste, suck a bit, throw some at the dog, grab another bit, wipe it in their hair and the cycle continues. To start with they really don't eat a lot of finger foods until they get used of how to deal with it but that comes with time and experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

xxx

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 8:00pm

thanks flic and polly pocket.

well after reading your replies i was brave enough to buy some organix rice cake loops and gave one to L. she was not impressed!!! she actually screamed crying when she put it in her mouth. so i took it away and then tried again later thinking maybe she was just tired. and sure enough she picked up the rice cake, put it to her mouth then started crying again...bot quite the reaction i was expecting as she had eaten an hour before so wasn;t hungry but its like she was very frustrated! i was thinking of trying with something else tomorrow, maybe a bit of toast cut into a finger with unsalted butter. i was going to try bannana but the puree version made her constipated and she hasn;t done much pooing today so i'm trying to steer clear of bannana.

any other idea's of safe finger foods? i also bought some organix carrot sticks but then i noticed the packet said for 12months plus....i'm assuming thats a stage weaning thing again as other ladies have said the carrot sticks are fine for 6 months onward.

polly i do feel better knowing u have weaned your 2 lo's initially with purees too.

thanks for the info ladies

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 8:11pm

any other idea's of safe finger foods? i also bought some organix carrot sticks but then i noticed the packet said for 12months plus....i'm assuming thats a stage weaning thing again as other ladies have said the carrot sticks are fine for 6 months onward.

Exactly right.

Pear, apple, satsumas, toast, eggy bread, sandwiches, chicken, rusks. All sorts really. Provided its in a shape they can get hold of they should be well away!

Toast is always a good one though!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 8:51pm

thanks again Flic...

satsumas...sandwiches....wow! i'd never have thought i could give L them yet. sometimes i wish i'd have waited and done things the BLW way cos now i've given her purees i feel scared about normal food!

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 9:40pm

When giving her veg now either steam or boil it first so it's soft enough for her to gum or bite little bits off.

We've given our girls all sorts but popular ones are fine asparagus, broccoli, parsnip sticks, sweet potato sticks, swede sticks, strawberries, blueberries, avocado, cucumber, tomato, omelette, chicken, steak, lamb, pork, meat balls and banana pancakes to name but a few. With the veg I tend to steam enough plus a bit more for that nights tea plus some for snacks and lunch the following day. Our girls tend to eat the same as us most of the time, it's far easier and it's nice to leave your baby tucking into food letting you eat your tea warm or even hot! :snigger:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE