You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "northern_monkey" started this thread

Reg: Apr 8th 2009

Children: 1 wonderful little boy

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 8:04pm

10 month old not sleeping at nursery

DS has been going to nursery for about 3 months now and for the last few weeks it has been for 5 days a week. On the days he's not at nursery he has 2 good naps, one in the morning for about an hour and a half and another of an hour after lunch. This seems to suit him well, and he sleeps a good 12 hours at night without waking. I always put him down awake and after 10-15 mins chattering to his giraffe he settles down to sleep. However, at nursery he only has one nap and that's for one hour on a good day, sometimes less. This means by the time he comes home he's really tired, very whiney, struggling to eat his tea and falls asleep on my knee when I give him his milk at bedtime.
I know that the reason he's not napping well at nursery is because they put them down in a travel cot in the room with the other 0-1 yr olds and there's just too much light and noise for him to settle well. I guess when he comes into a light sleep he's hearing the other children and its too exciting to just go back to sleep. They also tend to only put him down when he's obviously tired whereas I've always done it more to a routine, DS is the text book baby so this always worked well for him. I have asked them to put him down at the times I would do at home but of course if he's not completely exhausted he's just not prepared to try and sleep.
So, any ideas? Is this just something we have to live with and it will get better as he gets older and needs less daytime sleep or is there anything I can try?
Feel so bad about him having to be there so much anyway I just want to try and do the best I can to fix any problem that comes up. Everything else seems to be fine, he seems to love being with the other children and we've never had any crying or signs of seperation anxiety (well only in me, not in DS :smile: ).
Sorry for the long rambling post. I always come here when we've any problems before and so far we've sorted most things by searching the forum. Couldn't seem to see anything for this though.
Polycystic ovaries.
First IVF cycle - amazing BFP.

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Thursday, February 2nd 2012, 8:05am

HI there

A few months ago I could have easily written this post myself. Meg started nursery when she was 13 months old. At home she'd sleep 12-13 hours at night and have 2 sleeps a day, we were very lucky. When she started nursery I told them her routine and they tried to get her to sleep and she wouldn't. When she first started she didn't sleep at all and oh my goodness when we picked her up she looked as pale as a ghost. In the baby room the cots are just down one end of the room so its very noisy, not dark at all, a completely different environment than she has for naps at home. I also put her in her sleeping bag for naps at home and at nursery they only had thin blankets because the room is lovely and warm. They persevered and she now sleeps for about 45 mins - 1 hour every day just after lunch BUT when she's at home with me on non-nursery days she still sometimes has 2 sleeps a day to catch up and she's 16 months old. Meg only goes to nursery 1.5 days as DHs parents help out with childcare too so we've just learnt that on nursery days we take home a very tired toddler who is hard to look after for a couple of hours in the evening. It's not ideal. Meg moves up to the toddler room next week so I'm wondering if she may sleep more there as they all have a nap after lunch so there wont be as much going on, we'll see.

I have seen some of the other Mums bring their buggies in for the babies to sleep in. Would your nursery let you do that? You could then put one of those sunshades on it that covers the buggy to make it dark and he may sleep better? or could you ask that he has some quiet time with one of the girls in the afternoon for a cuddle and snooze perhaps? A little bit of a rest may help him recharge his batteries perhaps?

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

Thursday, February 2nd 2012, 9:13pm

thanks lalazig, it's always good to know you're not the only one having these problems. I'm not sure the buggy would work as unfortuntely he doesn't sleep well in that either :rolleyes: It has to be moving for him to sleep in it, as soon as we stop he instantly wakes up. I'm afraid he's too much like me, I can only ever sleep when I'm in a proper bed with no noise and dim or no light. I never sleep when I'm travelling, on planes or in cars etc. I think we will just have to accept it and hope that it improves as he gets older. It wasn't so bad when he was only in nursery 3 days a week, as we could catch up with longer naps on the days he was at home. 5 days is just too much.
Polycystic ovaries.

FC79

Ace

Reg: May 19th 2009

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 9:53am

hello, I have worked in lots of day nurseries and am really surprised they dont have a separate sleep room. All the nurseries I worked in had a darlk, quiet sleep room for the babies. I know its a drastic suggestion, but would you consider changing nursery to one that does?

Im sure he will get used to the noise eventually as babies are very adaptable to their surroundings, but in the meantime you will have a miserable over tired baby to deal with in the evenings.

Having been a nursery nurse, I would say its not unreasonable for you to go and have a one to one chat with a member of staff-does he have a keyworker? They should be able to suggest ways of improving his sleep problem. Things I would suggest if I worked there would be: Give him a quiet cuddly time at his usual sleep times you stick to at home, to wind him down before putting him in the cot; Bring a light sleeping bag from home and put him in it in just his nappy so he doesnt over heat but still associates it with sleep time; bring a favourite soft toy from his cot at home; Put a blanket or something over the cot so it is darker.

Hope this helps, it must be hard being at work all day and when you see your baby he is over tired.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 9:21pm

Hi, thankyou for the suggestions. Yes, you're right, it does upset me a little that the only time I get to see him in the week is when he is over tired. It makes me feel even more guilty about him being in nursery all week. He's not been too well over the last few days (nothing too bad) so he's been at home with me for that last day and a half. It's been lovely to have some proper Mummy and Matthew time. Today he fell straight to sleep when I put him down at 9:10 this morning and he slept for nearly 2 hours. Then he had a nap at 2:15 for an hour and a half and still went out like a light at 7pm. When I suggested to the nursery that he should have 2 naps and the first should be sometime around 9 they looked at me as though I was mad. But it works really well for him, he was bright as a button all day, even though we're all suffering with a stomach bug at the moment.
I can't really consider changing nurseries unless there was something majorly wrong. It's the only one within walking distance and I don't drive. When I went to visit to check it out, it passed all my list of questions (taken off the FZ site of course) and all the children there seemed happy, so we gave it a go. Everything else seems fine. The ladies who look after him all seem to take good care of him and he seems to enjoy himself so all though the napping is a problem I don't think it's enough to take him out.
He does have a key worker and she is understanding off the problem but doesn't seem to have any ideas of how to overcome it. I will go armed with your suggestions on Monday and see if we can improve things. I like the idea of putting something over the cot to make it darker. He is particulary bothered by light. I used to have a dim night light on in his room when he was very little so that I could see when I had to get up to him in the night. One night I didn't turn it on and that was the first one he slept straight through. I did feel stupid :O I'll never know how many nights of not being woken up I missed.
Thanks again for the advice.
Polycystic ovaries.