You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rachf555

• "rachf555" started this thread

Reg: Jan 10th 2012

Children: My gorgeous Boy now aged 17.

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 2:02pm

Stimm/not very nice nurse questions

Hi there ladies,

Wondered if i can pick your brains??
I'm 34, DH is 33 - I have no fallopian tubes after two ectopic pregnancies and as far as we are aware there are no other fertility issues. IVF is our only option due to lack of tubes. I started DR on 12/02/12 and AF arrived on 21/02/12. Had baseline scan on 27/02/12 and was told to start stimms (Menopur 225 iu) on 28/02/12. Had scan yesterday (day eight of stimms) and the nurse gave me next to no information and was a bit of a cow to be honest. She was clearly rushing and would not answer my questions (This is the third time i've felt them just rushing through and reluctant to divulge any info). she told me i have five small follicles on the left and three on the right. She said that only two follies are a good size (she was reluctant to give me exact sizes on any but when pressed said the two were around 13/14 mm and the rest were too small) She took blood and said she thought that what my scan had revealed was not ideal and that i'd likely have to increase the dose of menopour but that she'd call me later once a dr had decided. I was in there for less than ten mins total.When she called later she said dr had decided to keep me on same dose and just to come back for another scan on friday as already planned. Nurse would not tell me what the blood test was or what it had showed and i was once again left out of the loop! She forgot to add buserelin to my prescription despite my telling her that i'd run out the next day **Moderator Edited Text**
If you guys could possibly de-mistify the whole thing i'd be most grateful.

Does eight follies with only two decent sizes mean i'm a poor responder?
Anyone know why i'd be kept on the same dose despite the nurse being pretty sure i'd have an increase?
Can the follie situation change that much in 2/3 days?
should i ask for a copy of all my notes to try and make sense of it all since the clinic do not want to give me any results or explanation of them?
Lastly, anyone else found their clinic unhelpful in the same way?, i really feel like complaining - They may deal with IVF every day but i don't - this is my first time and its stressful enough without feeling left completely in the dark about the treatment, not being prescribed drugs properly,not being able to get anyone when i ring and generally being made to feel that i'm really an inconvenience to their busy day. Plus its blooming expensive and to be treated like this is a bit of a blow i didn't expect.

Sorry for the rant :hairout and I'd be really grateful for your thoughts smile2
Rachel
Me:37DH:36
EP 1996-Tube removed
DS born 1997
EP in 2003-Tube removed
1st IVF 2012 BFN
2nd IVF Jan 15

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 3rd 2012

Children: Hopefully one day

What's Up?
Gutted

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 2:49pm

Hi Rachf555,

This is awful - you really should complain for 2 reasons:

1. As you say, you're stressed already - the nurses are your first point of contact and she be readily providing you with the information and support you need. They may not know all the answers but should make a note of what they can't answer and get back to you once they have an answer (eg from a consultant). They are trained and paid to provide this serfvice and what you've described sounds like negligence.

2. It could happen to somebody else who is less able to cope with the lack of support/information. IVF treatment is so stressful that putting you in a position where you don't feel like you know what's going on is cruel and is making an already- stressful situation worse!

I found one of the nurses at my clinic to be less than professional through a series of incidents, one of which was telling me to take three-times my FSH dose (incorrectly!) - I could have ended up with OHSS!! I didn't do anything at the time cos I was too stressed about getting through treatment (it was my first cycle) but after it failed, I told my consultant about her during my follow-up visit - he was great about it and told me I'd done the right thing, that he would deal with it and that I would never see her as part of my treatment again! Two treatment cycles later, I've still not seen her!

As far as your response to treatment, unfortunately I can't help much I'm afraid as I've always had the short protocol (fostimon + cetrotide) and I'm not sure if timings are the same in terms of follicle development and what is classed as a good/not-so-good response. I tend to have EC at d10-11 of stimms when there's a few of them 15-20 mm in size. Do you know the names of other nurses at your clinic? Maybe you could call and ask to speak to one of the other nurses and just tell her that you don't feel you've been given enough information.

I hope this helps a little - let me know what you decide and how you get on.

Conny

Me and DH: 39. TTC since Dec 2007 - unexplained infertility. Started IVF Aug 2011: 6 failed cycles (4 fresh, 2 FET); 3 blastos on ice

MY DIARY

Reg: Feb 26th 2010

Children: A beautiful son

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 3:22pm

HI Rach,

I'm really sorry to hear your clinic has not been very helpful with you.

Your follicles amount and size sound perfectly normal. Everyone is different and the amount of Gonal F we are given to start with depends on your situation, age, weight all that stuff. However how you respond to it can only be determined once you actually start taking it. It would be normal for you to continue the dosage, reduce, or even stop all together and coast with nothing for a few days. I had bloods taken too I think 3 times this last cycle, it's to check your hormone levels are not too high. If they are they will need to either reduce or stop your Gonal F. I'm sorry I can't be sure what the hormone is, I think it's estrogen. Anyway yours must be just fine as they would not continue Gonal F if it was too high.

Don't forget this is your treatment, and your body. I think sometimes healthcare workers forget that. If you need more information from them then ask, and don't be afraid to call them afterwards too if there are things you can't remember.

I hope this helps. Good luck for your scan Friday, you will be amazed how much growing your follicles will have done :winking: Come back on and tell us all how you get on.

xxx

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Easter eggs" (Mar 7th 2012, 3:31pm)

Wardie

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 5th 2010

Children: 1 Beautiful Daughter & 1 Gorgeous Son

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 4:12pm

Hi Rachf555

Firstly I agree that you should most definately complain this is not how you should be treated at all and if I was in your shoes I would most definately be complaining. IVF is such a rollercoaster at the best of times and when it is all new you need to know exactly what is going on and I was no different. Even on my first round when I was unsure I rang the clinic and was given all the information I needed and this is how you should be treated. It makes me so very angry when I read stories as yours, some people just clearly shouldn't be doing their profession if they treat you like that! Its their job FFS!!! AAAAHHHH! :rant:

Anyway with regards to your follies please do no worry about this, everyone is different I am always a slow starter and my clinic always keeps me stimming longer and then I always end up with pretty good numbers 1st time 8 eggs and last time 12 eggs despite only showing 3/4 each at my first scan. With regards to your blood test it is just to check your hormone levels, you will probably have another closer to EC so they can determine when you are going to ovulate and take the trigger shot so try not to worry it is all routine. If you are worried then drink some milk if you can stomach it and/or get yourself some royal jjelly tablets. I am lucky that I like milk not sure if either actually help or whether it is a mental thing but it has always worked for me :snigger:

Anyway we are all here to support you so if you have any other questions just ask and I am sure one of the lovely ladies on here will be able to help.

Good luck with your journey and keep strong & smiling blowkiss

rachf555

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 8:49pm

Thank you so much for your replies Constance, Easter and Wardie. I almost cried with relief when i read your posts!
Think i may well complain after the cycle whatever the outcome (just don't feel i have the energy at the moment) I think they should be reminded that its quite stressful for us ladies going through tx and it needn't be made more so. Still a bit down/worried about my follie situation but i feel a darn site better after the reassurance that things may change by next scan so cheers for that guys. Really do appreciate your replies xxx
Rachel
EP 1996-Tube removed
DS born 1997
EP in 2003-Tube removed
1st IVF 2012 BFN
2nd IVF Jan 15

Reg: Jun 13th 2011

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 9:43pm

I suggest u fond first thing in the morning and tell them exactly how u feel !! It's so sad when women have to go through this as if it's not bad enough we have to do it in the first place X( !!! I have always answered every question and sometimes sat for half a hour with scanner and then a nurse we always have a giggle , and then irll phone up again ! :snigger: u really should not feel this way ! [zx127]

The bloods would have been for u oestrogen levels mine have told me exactly both times how many eggs I have in my follies (500per egg) if I ask them they give them to me ( don't like to but they never moan )

This round my scanner said ird stay the same and doc doubled my dose ! The docs know what they doing and I Sri med for a long time and retrieved 11 follies and 11eggs( have a low amh so amazing for me) they thought about 5 when I started :happy: so please don't worry have lots of protien help them grow !

U have every right to request ur notes but they will probably take ages ,u need an app to go through all your questions ! Don't be stressed [zx127] Easier said then done I know but the worst thing u can do . The drugs is a very worrying thing to just stand ur ground , Im nhs and still had to be rude a few time with some nurses as like u say it's just another day in e office and us it's so scary

Please let us know how unmet on really feel for u xxxxx
ttc 5 years
x6clomid:BFN:
aug ivf :BFN:
jan ivf :BFP:

rachf555

Friday, March 9th 2012, 10:26pm

Phew i'm so relieved, thumbup had scan today and feeling decidedly more positive. Now have nine follies. Three are mature at 18,18,17 and 6 are at 14,14,13,12,11,10. womb lining is at 15mm. Having a further scan on Monday and the nurse said EC likely to be Weds! Wasn't given a massive amount of info but the nurse was far better than on Tues.......things certainly seem to be looking brighter than they did. Crikey, i keep reading the word rollercoaster on hear and that most definitely hits the nail on the head. Tues weds and thurs i was soooo :rant: Now its all :cheese:
Ups and downs eh ladies!!! thanks for the responses/good advice. So nice when you're feeling pants to have some support.

xxxxxxxxxx
Ps I may well still complain about that nurse after the cycle, but for the moment i'm going to concentrate on the tx.
Rachel
EP 1996-Tube removed
DS born 1997
EP in 2003-Tube removed
1st IVF 2012 BFN
2nd IVF Jan 15

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE