You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Rocky" started this thread

Reg: Nov 29th 2010

Friday, March 16th 2012, 11:33am

Running out of milk??

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My LO is 7 months old and I started weaning about 6 weeks ago. He is not fully established on 3 meals a day yet and the amount of food he eats varies. He generally always has breakfast - something like ready brek and some days he will finish the pertion and other days just have 2 or 3 spoons. I always give him another meal - either lunch or dinner and some days both. LO is constantly waking in the night for feeding - 3 or 4 times. Most of the time I think he is hungry as I can hear him drinking but occasionally it must be habit/comfort. Anyway, the reason for my post is because I've had a feeling that my milk supply is dwindling so I have just expressed and only got 50ml (under 2oz) out of both boobs. I had just given him a quick feed from 1 boob but I'm sure he didn't take much as I couldn't hear him gulping it down like sometimes.
Is this normal once weaning has started?
I feel like I need to start expressing again to build my supply back up but don't know if I can face the thought of it and don't know when I will fit it in. The reason I am concerned is because he wakes up so often in the night so maybe I don't have enough milk at each feed to keep him satisfied for long enough.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks x

Friday, March 16th 2012, 11:46am

Just to add as well....I really don't know what I'm doing with the weaning as I am still giving the same amount of breastfeeds as before but he must now be taking less milk. Am I suposed to cut out some milk feeds now? I feel like we get the timings all worng - he either doesn't seem hungry for real food (too much milk?) or doesn't seem to take a lot of milk (too much solid?). Is it possible that I'm giving him too much real food so that he doesn't take enough milk and then my boobs produce less?

Friday, March 16th 2012, 12:31pm

Hi Rocky,

I don't think I can give you much of advise Bcs I had my first LO 11 years ago but one thing I remember exactly that even when he stopped taking milk from me, I still had 700 ml!!!! from both boobs for the next 6 weeks, then I needed to take pills Bcs I wouldn't stop producing milk naturally. So I think it can be different with each lady.
I ve been recommended to cut out milk feeds if i would give a real food (like instead of 4 milk it should be 3 milk and 1 real food and so on) and make changes slowly. Did you try to express milk before feeding him to see how much is there? It would certainly give you an idea if there is enough. Also you could try to give him some water in between to extend his feed time in the night. But again, it seems like in every country they give different recommendations, I hope someone else will come and give you more useful advise.

Lots of love xxxx
TTC since Nov.2009
2011 clomid 6x :BFN:
2011 clomid,gonal,ovitrelle 2x :BFN:
Feb.2012 clomid,gonal,ovitrelle :BFP:
6w+2 seen a lovely [zx076]

12w+5 everything looks perfect, measured 66mm OTD 4th of Nov.

It's baby7 arrived on 15.10.2012

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, March 16th 2012, 1:49pm

Hiya,

If you are weaning then your LO will naturally reduce his milk intake. Don't forget he is only 7 months old. He will still be getting used to eating solids.

The other thing is that expressing is not really an accurate measure of how much milk you are producing. The best way to get milk out is through bf'ing.

With the weaning we gave a milk feed an hour before meals. It did seem like we were constantly feeding one way or another. As he starts to take more food he will slowly cut out his milk himself.

Their main supply of food until they are 1 year old is milk so I wouldn't start cuttin gout feeds just yet. Food isn't a replacement for milk, its more like an addition at this stage. You should offer water with the meal but breastmilk is both food and drink so I wouldn't worry too much about this yet.

What times are you weaning at and what times are you milk feeding at?

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Friday, March 16th 2012, 3:55pm

Hi Flic,

Usually he wakes up at about 6.30am and isn't that interested in milk so has a few minutes. Then I give him some breakfast around 8- 8.30am. He then has a nap at around 9.30 - and I feed him to sleep most of the time. Sometimes he's asleep for 1 hour and other times 2 hours (if he sleeps for 2 hours he usually wakes after about 40mins so I feed him again and then he sleeps for a further 1hr20). After this I give him some lunch - 12ish depending on when he has woken and then another nap at 2.30ish for 30 mins-1hr. Then tea is at 5.30 and I feed him to sleep at bedtime about 7.30pm. It does vary depending on when his naps fall and how long he sleeps for. I usually feed him to sleep unless he doesn't seem interested (he doesn't take a lot) and also feed him when he wakes most of the time as well. As you have said I have always tried to time it so that he has a breastfeed and then 1hr later offer solids. I'm just not sure how much solids he should be having and if I'm giving too much, this might be putting him off the milk. He is usually always happy to BF but just recently I have noticed that he is not gulping it down anymore.
In the very early weeks I expressed exclusively for about 4 weeks as I had a lot of problems with BF and I used to get out 150ml from both boobs (total) so I know it has gone down.
As Loveistheanswer has suggested I could try expressing before a feed .... but as he won't take a bottle now I am reluctant to do that as then I wouldn't be able to feed him.

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Friday, March 16th 2012, 8:15pm

Rocky - The whole weaning thing really freaked me out and I spent ages worrying that Freya wasn't eating enough. Someone told me this saying which helped a lot, 'Food is fun before they're one'. In other words, milk is supposed to be their main diet until they are about one, anything else that gets eaten is just part of the learning curve. I did BLW and just let her eat as much as she was interested in trying. I found that Freya started to drop feeds for herself over a period of time, I never forced her into it, I used to offer her milk at about 8.00, 12.00, 4.00 and 8.00. She dropped the lunchtime one first, then the mid afternoon one, then the morning one and I'm still working on the bedtime one! She really didn't start eating food in earnest until she was just over a year old and is now a pretty good little eater, although some days she is less interested.

She used to wake in the night for milk too, mostly out of habit because I always fed her to sleep too and she liked the comfort of it. I started putting her to bed awake at just over six months old and it's amazing how quickly she learned to put herself to sleep. I did use controlled crying which I know isn't for everyone, but for us it was the only thing that worked. She only just sleeps through the night now and that is shaky.

Not sure if any of this waffle is useful or not, just letting you know my experience. Sorry, am no help regarding your milk supply issue, I've never had a clue about how much I've had or how much Freya has taken. I do know that my boobs shrank back down to their normal size and I was convinced I was running out of milk but that wasn't the case, I think my body just figured out what was needed and works it out on a supply and demand basis.

Oh, Freya would never take a bottle either! She just about tolerates a drink of cows milk from a beaker now but she doesn't drink the recommended amount! Thank goodness for yoghurts and cheese!

xxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, March 16th 2012, 8:26pm

Hi Rocky,

If your LO is still feeding then I doubt very much that your milk supply is dwindling - you'd know if it was because he'd be crying for more after feeding because he's still hungry and increasing the frequency of his feeding. Some babies can become a real stickler for habit (mine included) like yours my son is waking frequently in the night and wanting a feed but he's not really hungry, he's doing it because he's always done it - still not sure how to break him of this habit. He sucks just enough to satisfy his need for comfort and then promptly tries to go back to sleep and not taking a full feed.

Try to be consistant with his weaning, decide which you're going to introduce first and introduce it every day that way he gets used to expecting it and his system gets used to getting solids at certain times. Starchy carbs are good for tea as they take longer to digest and therefore, in theory, should keep him going all night - hasn't worked for my boy sadly but it did with my first son.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Grace" (Mar 16th 2012, 8:31pm)

Saturday, March 17th 2012, 9:07am

Thanks Gracie and Grace. I had another bad night - he was up 5 times with some wake ups being 1hr 20 after the last! I'm not sure if it's comfort or hunger. I have expressed one side this morning again - in the hope of encouragingmore milk - and only got 10ml. If this is all he is getting then maybe he falls back to sleep in the night because he is tired but then hunger keeps waking him. Either that or it is just comfort.

Gracie - \i've been doing a mixture of purees and BLW. I really wanted to exclusively do BLW but my HV said I should puree because of his night time wakings and I needed to fill him up more. Can I ask how you did it, what did you give fro breakfast? As I've been giving ready brek but obviously have to spoon feed him as I've let him try himself and it's everywhere and he gets none. Also... the controlled crying....which I keep saying I'm not going to do but am now getting desperate.....how did you do it. If I put him in the cot awake, he moans and then cries and it turns into screams and he won't calm down. Any tips?

Think I must be trying to give him too much solid food so maybe I should try giving him less so that he takes more milk. I feel like the HV's don't know much about BF beyond the first few weeks and really don't think there is enough help for BF and weaning. Mum's that bottle feed are able to know how much milk to give as there are guidelines but I just think it's all confusing with BF.

Thanks for all your advice x

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Saturday, March 17th 2012, 11:23am

Hi Rocky,
Sounds as if your boy is grazing, so not always taking enough to last a reasonable length of time. Perhaps trying to introduce a more structured pattern would get you back on track.
How often was he feeding during the day before you started solids? If you make 3 of those times his "meal times" with a b/f to follow, he'll gradually reduce the amount of milk he takes as he eats more solids. If he wasn't waking for feeds in the night before, he doesn't really need to now. He's probably just looking for reassurance that you're still there, so maybe a cuddle, or offer a drink of water and put him back to bed. It's worth a try. Forget the expressing unless you really need ebm for babysitters. Your milk supply is well established, and although your breasts don't feel full any more, it's because your body is so efficient it makes milk while your baby's feeding, so no need to store it, so the amount you express bears no resemblance to the amount your baby is getting.
Hope this helps. :)

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, March 17th 2012, 1:40pm

I'm sorry chick but your HV is talking rubbish. Feeding and weaning doesn't make a baby sleep through. It is total myth.

I bottle fed but fed on demand as my boobs didn't work. I did BLW and spoofed yoghurt and my LO has always slept through so your HV is talking crap. They really wind me up.

You've been BFing on demand so weaning shouldn't be much different. BLW works with BFing because the child decides how much to eat and how much boob juice they want which is when they realise that food does in fact fill them up.

The best advice I got with weaning was to just go with the flow and not get stressed. If you eat at the same time they will eventually get the idea.

It doesn't matter if your LO just plays with it. If he's hungry he'll tell you.

Don't get stressed about it.

Re: sleeping, we did pick up put down, she quickly realised that she may get picked up if she cried but bed means bed and she would be put back down again.

Gracie

What's Up?

Saturday, March 17th 2012, 5:21pm

Hey

I personally don't like HVs as I've never found a helpful one! That's just me though. I have tended to 'wing it' and make things up as I go along! I think you are right though, I don't think they know much about BLW or BFing after the recommended six months has passed.

I used to give Freya a rusk with milk and a fruit puree for breakfast or an oaty breakfast (which I still make) Don't make it too liquid then your LO can eat it with his fingers, yes it's messy but it's amazing how quickly they become tidier eaters. Freya hated me coming at her with a spoon which is why I ended up doing BLW. For the oaty one mix two tablespoons of oats with five of water, heat it gently to soften the oats and fling in whatever fruit you fancy. Banana and blueberry is very popular in my house! Top it off with some natural yoghurt.

The controlled crying is hard and don't try it if your LO is poorly or teething. I got my DH to do it in the end as it proved more effective, although we've had nights where we've had to put up with yelling for two hours! We put Freya down and if she crys go back in after ten minutes (yes an eternity) and just sooth her but don't pick her up again. DH then goes back in every ten minutes until she goes back to sleep. It's really awful, especially as she can say 'Mummy' now but it does really work. She has started to sleep through now but she is a lot older than your LO and TBH we didn't even attempt to get her to sleep through until she was over a year old because I am too soft and also just wanted to sleep so used to pick her up and feed her back to sleep. The trouble with it is that if she is poorly I obviously don't leave her to cry and then you kind of have to start again once she is better. I know it's not for everyone but it has proven to be the best solution for us.

:goodluck: if you give it another try!

xx

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Sunday, March 18th 2012, 4:15pm

Fi's mum - yes I think he might be grazing as well so I'm trying not to feed him at every opportunity now and wait 3 hrs or so before he has a feed. Hard though as it's so much easier to feed him to sleep for his naps. He was feeding every 3 hours before solids and I've been told to BF then offer olids 1hr later. BUT he has always woke in the night. We did have a really good spell of about 2-3 weeks (ages ago) where he was only waking once and then other times twice a night. It's been since Xmas that it's all go haywire and he's waking more often. That's when I was advised to start solids as the HV thoughthe needed more - but it's made no difference.

Flic - I've decided to stop spoon feeding so much as it was making no difference to the sleep so I'm going to do BLW with the finger foods and just give some things on a spoon. I've also done a bit of pick up put down but am never consistent enough as I just do what I can for a quick result as I'm so knackered. Will have to try it again.

Gracie - I don't mind that he doesn't sleep through. It's just that he's up 3, 4 or 5 times and I can't cope with that. If it was once or twice I really would be OK. It doesn't help that all the other mums at my mum's groups go on about how good their babies are and how they have slept through for weeks now!! I'd be happy if I could get it back down to 2. I really don't know what's made the difference as he used to do that. We're co-sleeping at the moment as well which I know a lot of people don't agree with. But it's the only way I can keep m sanity with being woken so often!

Gracie

What's Up?

Sunday, March 18th 2012, 4:25pm

Rocky - I feel your pain, although Freya never woke more than a couple of times a night. We really have only just licked it now and Freya is 16 months. You do whatever is best for you, I've had Freya in bed with me a few times out of desperation for some peace and quiet. Don't worry about the other Mums, I bet there's not whole truth in what they say some of the time anyway!!

Glad you have decided to give BLW a full go! I am so pleased that I did it and will do it again with number two. Have you read the Gill Rapley book?

Hope your LO's sleep improves soon.

xx

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Sunday, March 18th 2012, 10:36pm

Does he sleep in your room still?

My DD2 had very broken sleep like your DS when she slept in our room, we have noisy neighbours and when DH and I went to bed we woke her up so she always ended up in our bed, tbh, I love having her snuggled up next to me. I had her in with us until she was 10 months or so, I didn't want her to go into her own room and it's only recently after she wakes up I try and settle her back down in her room and she seems to sleep much better than she was. I still BF in the night, my DD2 is one tomorrow and I'll continue for a while yet, DD1 was 16 months old when I finally got her to sleep through and I should think it will be similar for our DD2.

She is also BF, I did/do a mixture of BLW and spoon feeding (mainly yoghurt) and it wasn't until she was about 8-9 months that she started to get the hang of it and eat more solids, DD1 was the same. They do gradually reduce feeds as they get better at eating solids. I also wouldn't worry about your milk running out, expressing isn't an accurate indication of how much milk you have especially when you're worry about it. Your body has been clever enough to nourish your DS from an embryo up until now, so have a little faith. :)

xxx

Monday, March 19th 2012, 10:27am

I thought I had replied to this! Sorry you are still having sleepless nights sweetie. Not really sure what the answer is, but wanted to offer my support.

How much solids is he taking just now? What is he eating? How are his bowel movements? How are daytime naps going? Persevere with the bottle. Try offering the teat once a day and see how it goes. BUT don't do if you have enough on your plate - you have to prioritise and if you are having sleepless nights make life easy on yourself - don't express, don't do the bottle just feed your baby and get through the day. Maybe go and have a lie down in your bed, take your boob out to the side and let him suckle while you have a rest too. I've done that with N when i've been super tired and we both love it, plus that extra suckling time would increase your milks supply as well. With the solids - why don't you whizz some up and give it on a spoon, but offer finger foods too. I find with N I give her finger foods after i've spoon fed anything, if anything as she has shown herself to be a natural baby led weaner and won't eat from a spoon that often! It distracts her otherways.

On the controlled crying/put up pick down - this is what we did. Consistentcy is important, so get your partner to be there and help you, even to just get through the crying. We didn't really follow the rules properly and did our own thing, but it did seem to work! I did pick up, put down solely for a few nights. This seemed to be working well, but N got wise to it by the third night! She would scream the place down as we were putting in her cot again, so we had no option but to leave her for a little bit. I am not a fan of controlled crying and was really nervous about leaving her, but decided within myself that I wasn't doing anymore than 7 minutes. That was long enough for me! So I left her for 3 mins and went back, picked her up and gave her a big cuddle until she settled, put her down (usually crying again!) and left her for 5, repeated with cuddles etc, did 7 minutes, repeated with cuddles then 2 minutes into the next 7 minutes she was asleep. The next night was easier and the next easier again. This worked for us as N really likes being close and the comfort really helped her, but for some babies I think it could make it worse, so try it out and see how you get on. A really good bit of advice a friend gave to me was to stop reading books, listen to advice from others, but to read your baby as they are all so different and respond in different ways to different things. I think that is what makes parenting hard - there is no quick fix! It has not only helped N to soothe herself better, it has also helped me to take a step back a bit and see that a lot of the times I was jumping too quickly when she was crying to go to her. Now i wait and listen and 90% of the time she is just wrestling and having a bit of a grumble with no real problems and falls asleep again. If she is more distressed I will go to her. It is so hard to know what is wrong sometimes, especially when breastfeeding.

Hope it helps and hope you are doing ok sweetie. It is so tiring at the best of times let alone when you are up so much, but rest assured the phase WILL pass. XXX

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Amazing Grace" (Mar 19th 2012, 10:29am)

Monday, March 19th 2012, 12:33pm

Gracie - I have the Gill Rapley book. I have given him mini shreddies this morning instead of spoon feeding him ready brek. Last night he had a bit of meat and a potato wedge with veg sticks - most of which ended up on the floor LOL! I just worry a bit about the choking as last night he managed to bite the meat but too big and was looking like he was going to swallow - so I ended up taking it off him as I was a bit scared.

Pollypocket - Yes we are in with him - we have a sofa bed next to his cot with 1 side off the cot at the moment so we're all on 1 level. The idea was supposed to get him used to his cot but be easier for me because of all the feeding so I don't have to keep getting out of bed. It's reassuring to know that others co-sleep. There is such a lot of contraversy around it that I find I don't like to admit to it. I do like having him with me but I worry that he shouldn't be. Not only because of the guidelines but because I feel pressured that he should be on his own and in his own room now.

AG - replied on the other thread mostly but:
Daytime naps are OK - except I either feed him to sleep or stoke his back. He was eating 2-3 meals of all sorts (spoon fed) but I've now cut back to finger foods in the hope that he takes more milk - as milk is more calorie laden isn't it - so maybe more filling?? Bowel movements are every 2-3 days now (instead of 2-3 per day). Just don't want to do CC until I'm sure that he's not hungry or in pain. The thing is I have kind of tried this in my own way. During the day sometimes I leave him to cry but I am there lying down with him and I stroke his back. I find that once he has had a good scream he will then calm down and start to go to sleep (but not without me stroking his back). Unfortunately, this sometimes is OK and he will sleep for 1 hr but sometimes he will wake after 20mins to feed and then go back to sleep. So, what I'm saying is that sometimes I get it wrong and he must actually be hungry before his sleep. If I knew for sure it was just habit and not hunger then I'd happily give it a proper go. It's just the not knowing. It's really good to hear your experience though. At least it helps to know that other mums do struggle as well.

Now wondering whether to put him in his cot tonight with us back in our bedroom and just bear the getting out of bed to feed and see if it makes a difference. If not the other option would be to disassemble the cot and move it into our bedroom with 1 side off next to the bed. As we can't keep sleeping on a sofa bed!

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, March 19th 2012, 12:47pm

I have to concur with Polly on the sleeping thing. Our LO was with us until 6 months but then went into her own room and slept far far better as she didn't hear us moving about.

Also with the BLW, please don't worry about choking. They do gag, A LOT, but that is because their gag reflex is a lot further forward than ours. Choking is when they go quiet and can't breathe, heaving and yaking is all good :D

At 6 months old a baby can tolerate solid food and they need to learn how to eat and how much to fit in their mouths. And when there is too much spit it out. The more practice the more you'll find less and less going onto the floor.

BM is more calorific than baby puree so feeding purred food to a baby will not make them sleep through. Plus with BLW you actually get to eat the same meal as them AND its hot!! Its also suppoed to make them less fussy eaters and you're also supposed to get them to taste pretty much everything before they're one! But it is essentially playing and learning about food.

With regards to the naps, if you are feeding him to sleep for a nap then he will be thinking that you will feed him to sleep at every sleep he has and that when he wakes up then boob will be there. Maybe try putting him down awake at nap time, let him have a play. Feed him but make sure he stays awake.

If he is grazing then he won't really be hungry. Put him down after food and milk but my money is on habit rather than hunger now.

Gracie

What's Up?

Monday, March 19th 2012, 12:51pm

I'm with Flic, try not to worry about the gagging. It is a bit alarming but it's amazing how quickly they learn to chew and it stops! Freya is dreadful, she stuffs huge amounts of food into her mouth and I really don't know how she copes with it but she does!

Monday, March 19th 2012, 3:19pm

I am still a bit scared RE:choking, but it does get easier. I am using that same book as you for recipes and it is wonderful! The moroccan chicken is so easy and so lovely. To be honest I whizzed a little up and gave N a bit of chicken and other bits for finger - just breaking me into the whole thing basically and I do want to encourage her to use a spoon as well, but she ain't that interested. Getting better. Breadsticks are fantastic and really crusty bread as it doesn't go so soggy and stick to the roof of their mouth. Flic has explained it really well. Yacking and gagging is great because they are learning to control the foods, but choking will rarely happen. Just make sure that you know what to do, so that you are more comfortable - we researched and watched a few Utube videos on baby first aid.

There is a lot of contraversy regarding the co-sleeping in the UK, but here my HV was more shocked to hear I wasn't co-sleeping as it is common practice here. Funny how things can be so different on the same things in different countries!!

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job sweetie. xxxx

Gracie

What's Up?

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 1:06pm

For the oaty one mix two tablespoons of oats with five of water, heat it gently to soften the oats and fling in whatever fruit you fancy. Banana and blueberry is very popular in my house! Top it off with some natural yoghurt.

Oops, forgot to add you need to shove it through the blender! :rolleyes:

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 12:31pm

Hi all,

Not been on this thread for a while as have been trying different things - but still no joy! LO is now 8 months old and still waking 3 times a night or more. I tried putting him to bed in his own room but he woke just as much and I had to keep getting up to see to him (and feed). I've also tried pick up put down and just generally soothing him when he wakes. Sometimes if I turn him on his side when he wakes he will settle for another half hour but then he wakes again and I have to feed him. If I don't feed him he gets hysterical and won't calm down. I have tried this a few times and it results in him waking himself up and not going back to sleep. I'm doing finger foods with him now as the pureed food wasn't filling him up any more than this. He's eating reasonably well and has 3 meals and some puddings but the amount he eats varies daily (although the Last night DP tried to give him EBM in sippy cup (he won't take a bottle) but he got hysterical. The EBM was from the freezer though and I think it has a bad taste - it's not off but I don't think it freezes well as it has all bits in when defrosted and the taste has definitely changed. LO is not good a drinking from a sippy cup so I'm sure he was frustrated at this in the night.

I'm still offering as many BF as before - sometimes he drinks well and other times he's on and off for a few mins. How do I know whether to stop offering and if he's cutting down? (Also this is different everyday). If he is in a bad habit of feeding in the night then surely BF on demand has caused this - and is the only way to break this habit controlled crying? I'm not sure I can do several nights of that. I'm really not sure what to do now - I wouldn't mind still feeding him once in the night but 3 times just seems too much for an 8 month old? Any suggestions?

Gracie

What's Up?

Monday, April 16th 2012, 12:53pm

:hello: Rocky

Sorry you are still struggling with nights. I was still getting up twice most nights with Freya until she was over a year old, only because it just felt easier to keep on getting up than to try anything else! In the end even giving her my boob wasn't helping much so we had to resort to controlled crying. It is hard and awful but effective. I got DH to do it while I hid under the duvet. The only trouble with it is that if your LO is poorly or teething you tend to go a bit backwards but overall it's the only thing that kicked Freya's habit! If you can bear it give it a try as overall it made a massive difference to us. Freya is still not a fantastic sleeper, currently she wakes up about about 5.00am and I'm naughty and take her to bed for a cuddle as at that time of the morning I can't be bothered to spend an hour trying to get her back to sleep only to then have to get up anyway!!

I was still offering feeds throughout the day when Freya was 8 months old. She did drop them herself in the end, apart from the occasional day here and there. I only managed to drop the morning feed just after she was one (I had to be out very early one morning so just had to leave Daddy to get on with things and decided it was a good point to stop) and I'm still working on the bed time one!

Freya would never take a bottle and it took ages to get her to drink milk from a sippy cup. She is still not a great milk drinker now but I make sure she eats plenty of other dairy stuff to make up for it. She just about drinks her night time milk from a sippy cup now (BF aside, she's not drinking my milk, just doing it for comfort and I think she's starting to get bored of it as her concentration on it is not what it was) but I struggle with a morning cupful.

Your LO will get there in the end, they do things in there own time and they are all different so I can only tell you how Freya is and what I did with her.

Hope this helps a bit!

xx

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, April 17th 2012, 11:22am

Hiya,

The only advice I can give is on the sippy cup and that is to just keep offering it. It takes time cos its a different suck to learn and a different sensation so it will take a lot of time. I had different cups for different drinks, so a certain one for milk and a different one for water which I think helped.

The only way to know when to stop offering a feed is to stop offering it and see if he asks for it or whether he just misses it out.

As he eats more and more he will cut down the amount he feeds. If he's on and off that would say to me that he doesn't really want it, he's just having it cos its there. Especially as he's having it great sometimes.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE