You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Natural_Horse" started this thread

Reg: May 28th 2009

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 3:23pm

Am I overfeeding my 14 month old?

Hi all,

My 14 month old is a heavy girl and has been in the 98th percentile for weight for about 8 months. She has lost a bit of the baby chub now that she is mobile (has only been crawling/cruising for a few months) and is now in the 91st percentile. However, over the past few weeks it seems she has put on a load of weight.

I am worried that I am overfeeding her. Should I even be worried about this at this age?

I found this website: Little People's Plates which is wonderful but it did say I was putting too much high fat/sugar in her diet. These come from cheese, yoghurt, butter, jam, diluted juice/squash.

In regards to portion sizes, this has recently increased because she is using more energy and is more hungry. A dinner portion might be 4-5 heaped tablespoons. Lunch is a sandwich (ham and cheese), breakfast is one slice of toast and a small box of raisins. Snacks throughout the day are 1 piece of cheese, one pot of yoghurt, 1 clementine and if still hungry one banana.

How does this sound? What can I be doing better? I know dieting/low-fat is not a good idea and she really doesn't look terribly overweight but how can I help her to slim down more? She is constantly on the move, so physical activity is plentiful... am I just being silly and worrying over nothing?

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 4:29pm

What size are you and your OH?

I ask because both my DD's are tiny, I've had a few HV say how tiny they are and that there maybe cause for concern even though both have always followed their 0.4 centiles well and then gone up to the 2nd when I started to wean them. My point is, our DD's are never going to be massive, I'm 4ft 11 and classed as tall in my family. I was slim too, before I had them and that is also a family trait plus DH's family are like whippets so it would be more surprising is they were at the top of the centile charts.

If you and your OH put your heights and weights on the centile charts for 20 year olds in the back of your DD's red book what does it say? I've done this for me and my family and we're all at the bottom, well my nan and aunt don't make it to the bottom they fall off the charts at about 11 years old because they are so tiny. If you or/and your family are near the top then that chances are its her genes.

If you are still worried, have a chat with your HV or GP.

xxx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 9:12pm

What Polly said.

If your LO is eating then I can't really see how you can over feed.

My LO is now 25 months and still has chub despite running and burning energy. Despite my being little my DH is 6'3" and she is most definitely taking after him. She has broad shoulders and you can tell she's gonna be tall. Her feet are massive too.

At 14 months my LO was big and also on 91st centile. When she was born she was on 25th so all the hv's thought she was gonna be like me. Then she started growing and kept on growing!

I wouldn't worry. Your LO sounds like a happy healthy child. The weight will even out when they have a growth spurt or start running around.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 1:54pm

Thank you both for your comments. DH and I were both very chubby babies ourselves but were slender by age 4-5. As mums it is just so easy to find fault in what you are doing.

My LO is good at drinking 9oz of milk in the morning and 9oz at night. I believe recommended milk at this age is 12-18oz, so I am happy with that. I am paranoid with making sure she has enough calcium, so snacks each day are not only fruit but cheese, fromage frais and yoghurt. To cut the fat (and sugar) content down, I could stop giving these as treats every day couldn't I? Just give them ocassionally - what do you think?

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 2:19pm

NH, there is nothing wrong with cheese and yoghurt etc. Its part of the staple diet in our house!

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 2:59pm

Hi Flic - I know there is nothing wrong with it per say. But I give it every day, multiple portions, even though calcium intake is good via milk. I am just worried that it is creating a high fat diet?

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 4:21pm

I do the same sort of thing. She has sandwiches for dinner, toast or cereal for breakfast, and for yea she has whatever I'm making, so today pork escalopes with veg and potatoes.

At this age I think it's all about getting them to eat and learn about food and what is good for them and what isn't. It's not like you're giving ice cream every day covered with chocolate buttons!

I believe that you should have everything in moderation and teach them how to eat until they don't want anymore rather than forcing it down them.

The other thing is that there is only so much variety you can give. I'm not about to go out and buy the best trout and cook it specially for a 2 year old when she probably won't eat much of it anyway. Same with salad. My O won't touch salad, he will eat cucumber and peppers but she doesn't like tomatoes or lettuce.

It's something that will come with age.

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 4:51pm

As mums it is just so easy to find fault in what you are doing.

That is so true, we all do that.

Btw, my girls have cheese and yoghurt pretty much everyday. They have similar to Flic's DD.

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 8:25pm

Flic - you sound like we are both on the same wavelength with food. I don't really care how much she eats of her meal, just as long as she tries it - be that three mouthfuls or 10. As for icecream, Lily has had it twice in her life and chocolate - she has tried it and doesn't like it.

PP - thanks for the message. Why are we so ready to point fault at ourselves huh?

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, March 21st 2012, 8:37pm

Ah, give it time, she will love ice cream! Whenever anyone mentions it now O puts her hand up and shouts 'ME!!!'

The main thing is she eats and she eats healty and knows about food!

FC79

Ace

Reg: May 19th 2009

Friday, June 1st 2012, 8:20pm

Hi, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about weight wise, my little boy is just 12 months and eats an unbelievable amount- 2 weetabix plus toast for breakfast, sandwich, tomatoes and banana for lunch and big dinner plus huge bowl of yoghurt for pudd, plus 2 snacks a day!! The only thing you could think about is cutting down the milk, the recommendation includes the milk they get in food, so if she is having lots of yoghurts and cheese etc, she wont need all that milk. My lo has 4-5os in a beaker with breakfast and again before bed and thats it.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests