You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 12:08pm

how many calories do i need to be eating while breastfeeding?

Hi Ladies, Im pregnant with my second and determined to breastfeed. I breastfed DD1 for about 4 weeks but found it very stressful and i had a very fretful baby perhaps because i ate very little and she was always hungry. Looking back im quite sure I had PND as I completely lost my appetite for over 8/9 months and found it hard to connect with her in the first 6 months. This time around im prepared for the lack of appetite again (PND aside, whenever im stressed / busy or experiencing change in life i tend to completely lose the ability to feel hungry). I am going to conciously try and make sure im eating 3 times a day but is there any sort of vitamin i can take which will help? How many calories a day do i need to eat to make sure im producing enough milk? anyone else experience completely diminished appetite?
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 9:01pm

Hi there

I breastfed my daughter for 9 months but didn't ever suffer lack of appetite but know in the first few weeks struggled to find time and remember to eat proper meals. It's tough having a tiny baby and we put ourselves at the bottom of the pecking order. Good advice I was given was that when I sat down to breastfeed to have a big drink and snack next to me to have whilst feeding. It meant I kept my energy levels up and was hydrated. You need to drink loads and loads when breastfeeding. I really hope you don't suffer with PND this time. Make sure you look after yourself and try to eat little and often :hugs:

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

Reg: Oct 21st 2008

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 9:08pm

I think you need an extra 500 calories a day in addition to your normal daily intake. I never experienced lack of appetite but do know that you need these calories to successfully breastfeed. Also I carried on taking pregnacare which is meant to be taken whilst breastfeeding as I think this definitely helped too!

Good luck and also see if you have any "breast mates" classes in your area, normally free or small amount to go along and they really helped me in the first week when I struggled and I managed to breastfeed till my daughter was 6 months old and she decided herself not to go to the boob!!!
1st ICSI -May 2009 BFN
2nd ICSI -Oct 2009 BFN
Took a break
3rd ICSI - Dec 2010 - BFP - Ruby born 13th September 2011

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, April 15th 2012, 10:54pm

First things first, make sure that your iron levels are where they should be. As Lala says, drinking plenty is essential. You can't produce liquid if you're not taking liquid on board. And last but not least just three good meals a day will suffice. Unfortunately it isn't a reason to stock up on cream cakes but it IS a reason not to skip meals.

A good multivitamin as suggested will boost any reserves that are low and make sure that you've got enough in the tank to spare for baby.

These fortified cereals are wonderful for breakfast. I think the activia yoghurts are good for getting calcuim into you and helping your tummy tick over (and avoiding thrush). A wholemeal sandwich and a bowl of soup for lunch and some meat, spuds and green vegetables for dinner. Wash it down with plenty of liquid, ease off the coffee and snack on fruit. Job's a good 'un x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE