You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Blue

• "Blue" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 11:53pm

Feeding non-stop since birth - help!

Dear all,
...HELLO!!!
My beautiful, gorgeous little man is now 5 weeks old. He is just perfect in every way, we all adore him. He is a lovely baby, loves to be kissed (I think it's because my nose brushes his cheek and he thinks it's a nipple :-). He now coos a little bit, and occasionally, after much cajoling, gives me a non-wind related smile.
One problem - he wants to breastfeed all the time. From 6am to 9pm, he'll want to feed every 90 minutes for at least an hour and wants to be cuddled the whole time. Night times aren't so bad though, probably 20 minutes every 2 hours or so.
Ever since he was born, he latched on well (or so I was told) and fed, and fed, and fed. By day 17 I was getting upset at never having two hands free (couldn't even log on FZ!), and I was upset and missing spending time with the girls. So I went to the LLL folks, and they told me that my little one has a shallow latch. And he does, it looks like he's sucking on a straw. They were also concerned it took him longer than 2 weeks to regain his birthweight (weighed 8 pounds at birth, took 17 days to regain). But at that point, I wasn't sore, so they said to see how things go and if he was still feeding all the time, they'd check him for tongue-tie.
I never went back, it's just so hard to get out of the house because of the non-stop feeding. It's hard to do anything at all. He seems to be gaining weight well, 360g/13oz every week since then. He is sick a bit after some feeds, but nothing that concerns me. And his latch hasn't changed, still shallow.
That was a very rambling background but in short, I need to reduce the time my LO is feeding and get him used to falling asleep without being on me. He has never fallen asleep without suckling, and if I gently stop him, he will start routing and wake himself up. I have been getting a little sore, but I don't think that's from the latch - it from overuse! It has never been painful after the first few seconds of him latching on.
Any advice would be gratefully received. I need to go back to work very soon, only part-time, but the thought if filling me with dread. I need to know someone other than me can soothe him.
Thank you thank you thank you!
B
x
P.s. I'm sorry I am going to have to post and run, I will catch up with everyone as soon as I can.

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Blue" (Apr 22nd 2012, 11:54pm)

Reg: Sep 10th 2010

What's Up?
Tired but happy!

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 1:12am

Shallow latch! That's what I might rename my little Missy! That's pretty much my issue with her, there's been no mention of tongue tie with her but I've been told her chin is set back (inherited from DH!) so she struggles to get a good mouthful of nipple. She also oversucks so makes a huge sucking noise with every gulp, makes a right old racket. So basically I'm not being very helpful here other than to say it takes forever to bf her and she still needs a top up (varying amounts) Sometimes she goes on really well sometimes she doesn't, I can feel the difference between a good latch and a poor one (good one tickles poor one gets sore after a time). Keep persisting! i didn't find the nose to nipple approach work for us because of her little chin, instead shaping my breast and going for a shove on has proved more effective.

Lovely to hear from you btw! And as you can see I'm still trying the bf! It's more 30/70 bf to formula but I'm not killing myself over it and nor should you (I remember what you said in my diary!) As for the soothing maybe a dummy? We're finding that occasionally one of em likes to have a little bedtime suckle that isn't food related, it really is non-nutritive sucking and the dummy works a treat. Only used it 2 or 3 times, and this from us who thought we'd never ever use a dummy but that helps when they're not hungry and just after comfort.

Sorry nothing helpful in all that but so glad to hear Maveman is well and you're so happy!
[zx102]

IUI Nov 09 BFN ..... 1st ICSI Oct 10 BFP m/c 8weeks ;( ..... 2nd ICSI June 11 [zx076] [zx076]
MY DIARY

Valentine's day twins 2012
And a surprise DS 27/1/15

Reg: Feb 3rd 2011

Children: One beautiful daughter -born Oct '11

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 4:44am

Hi Blue,

Little man is still so tiny and frequent long feeds are normal BUT it may be that he is using your boob as a comfort mechanism as you say he doesn't fall asleep. I don't know how you could address this, just maybe as soon as he indicates he has slightly de-latched (is there a word for that?) then take him off? I don't know too much about shallow latching but have you got a breastfeeding peer support group near you? Mine was at the local children's centre and they are BRILLIANT. Loads of mums and councillors to help you and I guarentee someoneone has been there, done that.
Sorry I can't be of more help but I ddin't want to read and run.
Oh, and have you tried different positions? Sometimes feeding lying down can help, or even turn baby a different way?
xxx

5 - yes FIVE angels baby5 All early losses due to elevated NK cells.

1st IVF january 2011 resulted in our beautiful daughter born Oct 2011 bab10

My diary

Reg: Sep 13th 2009

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 10:05am

Congratulations...just wanted to add my experience. My little man was like yours and after a few weeks we found out he was slightly tongue tied, so we got that sorted but the constant feeding didn't really change. I then paid to see a private midwife who just said some babies like to snack more than have a meal and also to comfort suck and maybe I should be more strict. Basically she suggested more of a routine approach than demand feeding, which I was totally against but needed to try something. So for 2 days I didn't feed him every time he cried and only allowed him a certain time each side and it made a huge difference, I was converted. She said if they get used to snacking they never get a belly full and keep going all day, if they know they can always get a bit. I know I could easily snack all day :) Anyway, I changed my opinions because a routine helped us all and it worked for us and my nipples!!! I know each baby and person is different but it might be worth thinking about. My supply wasn't effected, in fact it went up as he was being more efficient for his feeds because he soon learnt it wasn't on tap all day.

Good luck
4 MC - High NKC, DQ A Match
3rd IVF - Immune protocol - baby born April 2011
Jan 2012- Shock natural BFP - due 4th Oct

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 10:17am

hi lottie,

sorry weve not spoken before.

my LO for the whole 6 mths i bf'ed him was feeding every 1.5 hrs day and night. totally knackering. i did try expressing but never produced enough to be able to do that. have you tried expressing? its not for everybody though, i produced enough milk for him to feed on but not enough for expressing. i tried twice and got so frustrated that i thought ba**s to it, i carry on feeding properly. i was told by my h/v not to introduce a dummy until after 6 wks as doin it earlier runs the risk of confusing the baby. sorry have no advice on going bk to work. i was told it demand and supply. baby demands and your boobs have to catch up to fill the supply. on the 'getting sore' problem. i found quite a few tubes of lanisoh was a godsend. quite expensive and you cant get it on prescription (2 yrs ago was £9.95 a tube) but by god was it worth it! i used it before every feed, it has no taste for baby, and not harmful and after a feed, after rubbing dribbled bm over and around the nipple as well. as for the using to pacify and sleep, my LO did it all the way through, but when he was 8 or 9 wks i introduced the dummy slowly and eventually was able to wait for his breathing to change to sleep breathing then detach him and shove the dummy in quick.

sorry if this is no help, but i am trying. if not, im sure someone else will be along shortly who is more knowledgeable than me. either way good luck and i hope you find a way that you're both comfortable with.

take care

xxxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 10:26am

Thanks so much everyone, it is so nice to know I'm not alone. I'm going to get stricter about detaching. And I might hire a private lactation consultant, just because I honestly can't figure out how the two of us can leave the house at the moment to go to my local LLL group. I'd love a routine.... it would be a huge relief having one in place (even though I never had one before for my girls). It would mean other members of my family could enjoy him, at the moment it's always me and him (which is lovely, I am so loved up). But others are missing out.
Love to all,
B
x

My Diary

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 1:22pm

Hi lovely lady!! Afraid I can't be of any use, just wanted to say I hope you get it sorted soon. Delatching and not so demand feeding sounds like a good idea and worth a go. Thinking of you and let us know how you get on, when you can x lol xxxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN :-(
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN :bawl:
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 5:59pm

I'm glad you're not becoming worried that he isn't getting enough or that he's 'too hungry' for you. He sounds like a 'sucky baby', baby who just simply loves to suck. It can be very draining :rollseyes:

I would agree on the points that yes, small babies feeding often is absolutely normal. They digest the milk so effectively (hence lower incidence of colic, constipation, reflux etc) but the downside is that no sooner is it in, it's digested and out of the other end :pinch:

It's hard to strike a balance, to step back, clear the fog behind your eyes and think "hang on, this is a tired baby with a full tummy who wants to suckle himself to sleep". It's so easy to quiet a grizzly baby with a magic flick of the nursing bra but I would be inclined to agree with Lottie that, at this stage he can go an hour or two between feeds, allow him to empty his tummy and then fill it up again. I think it would help you to write his feeds down, see if there's already some sort of pattern and then go about making that pattern into a routine that gives you back some control.

It's hard to be strict bout it or stick to someone else's plan because your baby and your milk are so dynamic. If you're not hydrated or if your iron levels are low then you may find that your baby uses you more to settle. If he's snacking lots while sleeping then he might be overly tired which may make him even more grizzly and even more inclined to feed from you..... so many variables!!

Have a plan and stick to it but factor in the ebb and flow of your day.

Blue

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, November 29th 2012, 1:22pm

I'm so sorry I never replied Bells, your post did help, I just had my hands full, literally, at the time.
My little one, who is now a rather chunky 8 month old, is still feeding very frequently. But now he is able to do more, and play more, he can last 3 hours or so. The nights are still bad. We co-sleep, and during an average night he'll wake me every 90 minute or so. I'm pretty sure he's just suckling for comfort, not having a proper feed because he's hungry. But it still wakes me up and at times, it feels like it is too much. Is this normal?! He is almost walking (can stand and take a couple of steps unaided). So I'm wondering whether he is going through a phase of lots of learning, and he needs to keep on suckling through the night to calm himself down. Oh I don't know! I just hope it improves!

My Diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE