You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 10 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

• "Dusky7" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 1:25pm

Anyone seen the Mail on Sunday? ICSI babies...

Has anyone seen this, it's probably in others as is front page of daily mail...

It says that 1 in 10 babies born following ICSI treatment has a defect, twice compared with natural births. A lot is said about clinics pushing for ICSI when not necessary because is costs more...

I was told there was no more chance of defects with IVF/ICSI babies... What about everyone else? Xx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012 : D
2nd ICSI - May 18 - BFN
4th FET - Sept 18 - BFP but Ectopic MTX 7+4

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Curlytails

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:)

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 3:04pm

Here is the article: UK's most popular IVF treatment in turmoil over shock report into baby defects | Mail Online

I have never heard of an increased risk before.

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Reg: Jan 10th 2012

Children: None

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 3:34pm

Hmm I must admit Dusky I have done alot of reseach around birth defects/ICSI. When I was informed ICSI was our only likely chance of TTC I was also informed by my clinic it does come with a greater risk than IVF, amongst those risks are birth defects & defects to male genitalia. I read all different reports on the internet which quite frankly scared the hell out of me. I went back to my clinic with these concerns & they assured me like with any birth comes risks, & all the ICSI babies which reached birth at my clinic have been perfectly healthly.... Whilst I was going through my first cycle I remember new reports hitting the news about IVF drugs increasing the risk of overian cancer & I could have done without reading this kind of news during my cycle. Still I accept life comes with a degree of risk & if we read too much bad news we'd never leave the house. Surely if the risk was signifficant it wouldn't be offered to so many women around the world.... Would it? xXx

1st IVF cycle Feb 2012 :BFN: :sniff:

2nd IVF cycle July 2012 :BFP: bab22

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 4:11pm

From what Ive read, it is unknown what the risks of icsi are to the baby because it's still relatively new and studies haven't been going long enough to have valuable evidence of possible negative outcomes. What I have also read (or may have even been included in my icsi info pack from clinic) is that there 'may' be a risk because the sperm ate injected in and otherwise may not have made it! But saying this, it's like a competition and the strongest one may not be the 'best' one or even a perfectly adequate one :)

I'm sure there were all sorts of scary media stories about IVF when it first began too. I agree that the NHS wouldn't provide it if there were big risks.

Oh and the other thing....it's the Daily Mail :snigger: they love a sensational headline and whipping up worry in people! It's what they're best at!

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 7:00pm

my little boy was created by icsi, born nov 07. the only defect he has is my disability, born without kneecaps.

my youngest ds was a miracle natural and we suspect he has no kneecaps either. so at least in my case personally i think with current partner my mutant kneecap gene is the dominant one. and icsi or naturally hasnt overcome this. but i will read the post.

try not to worry too much ladies

xxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 10 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE