You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Rocky" started this thread

Reg: Nov 29th 2010

Wednesday, May 30th 2012, 1:55pm

When to feed?

Hi,

LO is 9.5 months now. He has been ill twice over last month and his appetite for solid food never recovered after his first spell of illness - then he got ill again and almost completely lost his appetite. He is getting better now but has had a bad cough and cold and wasn't even able to breastfeed well because of the cough. Thankfully he is now taking milk again but doesn't seem v interested in solids. I know that this can be typical when they are ill but I'm just wondering if he is having too many milk feeds and isn't hungry enough for solids?
He is now feeding 4 times during the day (unfortunately still 3-4 at night....some of you will remember my night problems!). He usually has a feed at 6-6.30am then again mid morning 10-11 then mid afternoon 2-3 and bedtime 7-8 (although bedtime varies from 7-9.30 at the moment as now he's crawling it's really difficult to get him to stop and relax for bed).
I generally space out the milk and solids so that breakfast is 8-9, lunch 1-2, tea 5-6. e doesn't seem to need any snacks but does sometimes have a bit of banana if he's not taken a lot of food at meal times.
He doesn't necessarily 'ask' for boob - I just offer and he usually takes - if he doesn't then I offer again later. I let him feed for as long as he wants.
So my question is whether I should be doing things differently and whether I should drop any feeds etc. Maybe he's just not regained his appetite yet. He was doing so well with the finger foods (refuses a spoon most of time) but doesn't seem that bothered about picking things up anymore.
Any advice? xx

Wednesday, May 30th 2012, 2:02pm

I should probably add he is quite small for his age - only on the 9th percentile line. Don't know if this matters as to his feeding pattern?

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Wednesday, May 30th 2012, 6:03pm

Hi Rocky

I would say try not to worry too much about how much actual food he is eating. If he is still BFing well then he is probably getting everything he needs from you. I was told the saying 'food is fun before they're one' and it helped me not to worry so much! Freya didn't eat a huge amount before she was one and even after then it took a while.

If he's been poorly for a while then perhaps he is just taking his time to get back into the idea of eating. It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing, just offer him milk and he'll let you know when he's ready to drop feeds. As long as he is gaining weight along his percentile then I wouldn't worry too much about that either!

Freya is only on the 50th and I spent so much time stressing over the whole weaning thing and worried about every meal. As it turns out she is not a bad little eater now (just coming up for 19 months) but still chooses not to bother much some days. Still, she is following her line and has bags of energy so I guess all is fine! I did BLW weaning with her and really let her guide me rather than the other way around.

Hope this helps a bit, I'm sure you're little man will pick back up where he left off when he's ready.

xxxxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Thursday, May 31st 2012, 12:23am

Hi Rocky

My DD1 was the same when she was ill, she went back to just BF for 4/5 days at nearly 10 months after having D&V and it took a few weeks for her to really start to want solid food again, she was having some just not as much as I would have liked or as much as she was having before. She's always better about food if it's someone else's, she likes sharing and that seems to help her regain her appetite plus we always eat together. My DD1 is also small and was on the 2nd centile back then and despite have bouts of not eating much at all when she was weighed at 2 1/2 she'd gone up a centile.

If he's not asking for a BF you could always try offering him a snack at the time you'd normally offer him a feed, blueberries or strawberries are nice this time of year and were about the only thing our DD1 would wolf down after being ill.

Good luck and I hope he starts eating more soon.

xxx

Gracie

What's Up?

Thursday, May 31st 2012, 8:34am

Ah yes, Strawerries! Freya goes mad for them too! Leave them out of the fridge for a while, they taste loads better.

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Thursday, May 31st 2012, 11:47am

Thanks for your replies. He has eaten a bit more today - half a weetabix for breakfast (struggled to get the last bit down him). It's just that I know of lots of babies that are younger and eating more (a full weetabix or more for breakfast). I do keep wondering if this is why he feeds so many times in the night - but I seriously cannot get any more food into him. He used to love strawberries and small fruits but is even off them. He's just not as interested in picking his food up. We do always eat together - I hope that it will improve now his cough and cold are getting better.

Just another quick question....now he has 4 teeth - is it going to cause tooth decay feeding him during the night? I do clean his teeth well but then he has milk during the night?

Gracie

What's Up?

Thursday, May 31st 2012, 12:50pm

I would say half a weetabix is quite a lot! Freya will just about manage a handful of shreddies even now or an oaty thing I make that is a tablespoon of oats with some fruit. All babies are different and I've come to realise that comparing yours to everyone else's just stresses you out. As long as he is fit and well and happy then you are doing a fine job.

I wouldn't worry about his teeth either, I can't imagine BF does them any harm at all.

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Thursday, May 31st 2012, 3:58pm

Neither of my two would have eaten half a weetabix at that age, even now DD2 at 14 months doesn't eat much for breakfast she'll eat about a tablespoon of cereal and about 5 blueberries or a few slices of banana that's it.

Monday, June 11th 2012, 12:17pm

Hi,
Just a quick update....I have now weaned off the night feeds - 3 nights ago. I used the pick up put down method in the end. 1st night wasn't nice and there was lots of crying but there's not as much crying now. LO is still waking often though and needs me to settle him. I am rubbing his back at the moment. Then when he wakes about 6am I feed him or else he will not settle - he then has been going back to sleep until 8ish. One problem I am having now though is that his top teeth have grown a little bit more and are digging in me when feeding - actually cut my right nipple so I'm quite sore. Does this mean the end for BF now? Can't see a way around it - I have tried altering his position but the teeth still dig in. He is not biting me it's just where his teeth sit.