You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Janniewall" started this thread

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Tuesday, June 12th 2012, 12:48pm

Twin Toddlers - Sleep Issues

Help. My lovely twosome are starting to become a bit of a handful when it comes to sleeping and this has only happened in the last week. They are 19mths old now and really become 'little people' with lots to say and opinions to voice!

All of a sudden one or both of them refuses to go to sleep at the normal time of 7pm to 7.30pm. We follow the same routine every night, with bath, brush teeth, books etc. Plus they only have one sleep a day of approx 1hr which is normally at about 11am.

It now ends up one or both of them being with us until nearly 9pm. Then more often than not one (or both of them) are up during the night for 1-2hrs. So they are not getting enough sleep and I am DEFINITELY not getting enough sleep.

Not sure how to get them back into a decent routine. I love spending time with them, but because I work full-time, it means I don't get a chance to do all my chores in the evening (ironing, cleaning, preparing food for them, or even eating my own dinner!) so things are falling behind and if I am honest I am starting to feel like a complete failure as a mother.

Any advice would be wonderful - I just find it odd how both of them have started to push-back on this routine at exactly the same time - it is as though they have been planning it together!!

HELP
Jannie
xx

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Tuesday, June 12th 2012, 1:25pm

Hi Jannie

first of all have a :hugs: You know how experienced I am at sleep problems! :snigger:

It sounds like a developmental phase to me. It is really common around that age for to suddenly start refusing to go to sleep. There have been a few ages that my DS has done this and it always coincides with a new development. he did when he fist learn to crawl, when he started to walk and also whenhis language started developing. Their brains are so busy and I think they find it hard to switch off.

I usually leave DS to chat away in his room and sometimes it takes forever but he does finally drop off, other times after a while he gets tired but then can't drop off which is when I go up and settle him again. Would your two just chatter in their cots for a while on their own? If not, another thing you could try is if they are going to bed at 9, ech night, or every other night reduce the time by 15 minutes thatbyountake them up to bed. It's very light late in the evening too, we've just added a black out blind to DS's room to see if it might help him sleep!

The night waking for an hour or so is a killer, I know. The only thing that has worked for DS is the 'Wake to sleep' method. If they wake at a similar time each night, say 2am...you set your alarm, for an hour before and go into their room and you semi wake them. YOu can stroke their head or touch their arm, I have had to li bens arm before, to rouse him slightly, you want to do it enough so they sigh, or turn over half asleep, then you quietly exit the room. This is meant to change their sleep pattern and they start to readjust the habit of waking ahh that time. It worked well for us, but you do need them to be waking about a similar time of night most nights.

Hope you get some sleep soon blowkiss

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

• "Janniewall" started this thread

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Wednesday, June 13th 2012, 12:41pm

Thank you BGE, I know it makes sense because their little brains are absorbing so much and the word I use to describe the constantly is 'busy' they just look so busy all day, so no wonder they cannot settle.

Unfortunately the personality types are so different. With Emilia we have always (until last week) been able to put her to bed, she waves us night night and then settles herself. In the last week she has cried and we have always gone back, but last night I decided to block my ears and after 15mins she did finally go to sleep - but boy was it hard to listen to her crying.

Now, softie Oscar is a whole different story! He has needed cuddled to sleep every night since birth. He cannot settle himself and controlled crying has not worked with him. If he wakes up during the night, I have to literally leap out of bed and get him out of his cot in seconds or he screams the house down - and it has to be me, he won't accept DH going to get him, he just screams more! I think he has a slight separation anxiety issue. So basically every evening, we go up to the nursery as a family, read books, put Emilia to bed and then take Oscar back down stairs to be cuddled to sleep. He likes rocked to and fro, which is a bloody nightmare now because he weighs a ton! God only knows how I will ever get him out of that routine. I think we will have to go with separate rooms at opp. ends of the house, so Emilia can't hear him screaming, because if he wakes her she gets very upset and worried about him and shouts 'Oda, Oda, Oda' (she has not quite grasped Oscar yet, and he calls her 'Elia') over and over at the top of her voice!

I love your idea about waking them gently just before they are due to wake. Last night Emilia slept through, but Mr Cuddly was up at 01.45 and would only settle if he came into bed with me and lay with his nose touching mine on the pillow, so DH was off to the spare room again. So tonight, I might gently wake him at about 1ish and then cuddle him back to sleep. But the problem is, it is never the same time. Sometimes they wake at 9pm, the next 11pm, or any other time up to about 5am. So not sure it is routine driven. I think with Emilia she does try to get back to sleep then just gets furious that she can't get back to sleep, with Oscar he goes into a panic that I am not there and yells from the second he wakes.

Hopefully I will get a full nights sleep sometime before they are 16! Then I will be staying awake waiting for them to come home........................oh the joys of motherhood. But I will never complain, they could have me up each night and every night for the rest of my life, because I know I am so lucky to have them!

xxx

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Janniewall" (Jun 13th 2012, 12:42pm)