You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "hmcfeather" started this thread

Reg: Nov 18th 2008

Children: 2 miracle IVF twin girls and 3 miracle surprises!!

What's Up?
Life's hectic but good !!!

Thursday, July 5th 2012, 12:49am

Trouble getting twin toddlers to sleep

Ladies,

It's been a while since I lasted posted but I need some advice from other twin mummies. My girls will be three in August and have always been great sleepers thank goodness but now the daily nighttime battle is really starting to wear me out!!

Problems have all started since their cot sides came off about two months ago. I have two wonderful, very energetic little girls who love to climb. They go to be every night about 8 and most nights they are just falling asleep about 11pm. They just seem to have a ball in their room and take forever to settle themselves down to sleep. They love climbing up onto the window sill and I'm scared they'll fall and hurt themselves. I've had to lock the window as they were opening it. I've never rocked or held them to fall asleep but now they can roam it's a battle of them playing, fighting with each other, tears and general messing about. I've tried shouting, being silent ignoring them, taking toys off etc but nothing seems to work. I've cut their nap back to 30 mins and they are tired but just won't go down to sleep now.

I am considering separating them into different rooms but they absolutely adore each other and I'm reluctant to separate them but I'm now just really tired and cranky with it all. I have them most nights on my own as DH works shifts so bedtime always falls to me.

Any advice or words of sanity would be greatly appreciated xx
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP
Twins Girls Born August 09 : D
Shock Natural BFP - Oct 12
Baby Girl Born June 13 : D
Shock Natural BFP during DR!! - October 14
Baby Boy Born June 15 : D
Another Shock Natural BFP!
Baby Girl Born January 17 : D
Hmcfeather's Diary of My Brood

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Thursday, July 12th 2012, 8:15pm

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but I would love to know if you have had any handy tips. My boys are 2 years 3 months and settle down quickly right now, but I am sure that we'll have the same problem when we remove their cot sides. They are also very lively energetic little rascals and I'm hoping to keep them 'captive' as long as possible!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

What's Up?

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 5:21pm

Hi Claire,

Not sure I have much advice because I am still struggling with this problem. Having said that as soon as the sides came off the cots they started to climb up onto the window sill and I went into the garden one night with the dog only to see that they had opened the window and one angel was pushing the other out onto the outside window sill so definitely locking the window is a must : D

My biggest prob is them actually climbing onto the window sill but I don't have the room to move their beds about enough to keep both beds away from the window to stop them climbing up so if you have the space try to keep the beds away from the window.

I also found that one of my girls no longer needs a nap. I had cut out naos from both of them at nursery but found that Kate who has always needed more sleep was hitting and nipping a lot. I worked out that a lot of it was down to tiredness and reintroduced naptime for her and it has helped. Think sometimes as twin mummies it makes life easier for us to treat them the same but they simply aren't and it helps to remain somewhat flexible.

I've found that the naughty step works well with one of my angels and not the other who thinks it's hilarious when she is put on the naughty step but she hates when i take one of her cuddly toys off her at bedtime and that keeps her in bed if it get taken off her and she only gets it back if I get a good report from nursery and she has been good all the next day.

Ever wish there was a parenting boom out there written just for your children : D

Good luck for when the sides come down xx
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP

Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Friday, July 27th 2012, 1:19pm

Oh yes, a childcare book just for my children, that would be great!
Scary about the windows, we live on the 5th floor and it always worries me especially as the windows don't have locks. For their window it might work with a cupboard lock to keep the handles together. They seem quite happy having the sides on their beds, especially Finn who likes corners and hidey-holes so hopefully by the time we convert their cots to beds they might behave and stay put (unlikely!).

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 9:35pm

Hi ladies, I haven't been on here for a while either and find your thread very interesting. I am also at the point where I am contenplating taking the sides off the cots but I'm too nervous as they are both little monkeys and will be running round, jumping on each other, fighting over toys and climbing too. I have to have their window locked too as we have a window seat so they spend ages watching cars and people go past the house.

If you find a solution Heather I'd be very interested. I don't want to separate mine either as it doesn't work well with the layout of the house, one would have to be on another floor. But a friend with twins a year older said that giving them separate rooms was the best thing she ever did and it solved all bedtime problems.

We will see what happens over the next few months .... :)

Good luck! x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

What's Up?

Thursday, August 30th 2012, 9:00pm

Hi ladies, I'm not on site much either just don't have the same time!!

A solution ... I wish ladies!!! They have thankfully stopped climbing up on to the windows after much nagging and shouting at them about the danger it seemed to sink in finally. Night-time is still an hour long process really except now they use suing hide and seek to stretch out bedtime and just when I think they are going to settle down one declares they need to do wee wees and poos and net thing they've taken off their bedtime nappies and trot off to the toilet by themselves.

I try not to stress too much about it and it's not like i ever stay until they fall asleep so that's not an issue. But sometimes when I'm very tired myself it is still hard work. I generally find if they are playing up a lot after the usual tucking in episodes etc I tell them if I have to come back I won't speak to them. They try all sorts of guilt with their tears at that point with lots of "are you sad mummy?" or "i love you more mummy"!!! It's hard to stay quiet but does work very well when they realise I'm not gonna talk : D

Our house is just up for sale cos we've found a bigger house that needs a bit of work done to it so will decide then about separating them. I know they wouldn't like it but it would definitely make them settle quicker if they were apart. In t
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP

What's Up?

Thursday, August 30th 2012, 9:03pm

Oh have my msg is missing!!

Just saying we will decide when we move BUT we (fingers crossed) will need the extra room as we have our FET appt next week tontry to have baby bro/sis(s) for my girlies. So it goes to show it does get better : D

Any questions give me a shout anytime and good luck xx
Heather

PCOS and Blocked Tubes
1st IVF - Dec 08 BFP