You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cheenab

• "cheenab" started this thread

Reg: May 27th 2009

Children: 3 gorgeous boys Zachary, Finley and Teddy <3

What's Up?
Couldn't be any happier :D

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 11:40am

Baby has gone off his milk

Up until a couple of weeks ago Zachary was drinking 5oz of milk he's on aptamil comfort milk as the hv recommended that for his reflux, now he has just sort of gone off it he barely has 3/4oz but still going every 4 hours, the hv said it sounds like he is teething as he has gone off his milk and keeps rolling the teat on his gums!! But surely it's not good for him to only have this much? The guidelines on the tub say for his age he should be on 6oz!!
He must think I'm a right meanie keep putting the bottle his mouth, he just takes the milk then spits it out!! Any advice on how to get him to drink it, the hv said to put a bit of bonjela on his gum before his bottle which we are doing but it still doesn't help him drink more!!
I'm going to take him to get weighed this week and just check he hasn't lost any, am I worrying to much? Should I just go with what he wants?
FET August 2011-1 Blastocyst onboard :BFP:
Zachary William born on 27/4/12 at 10.12am weighing 6lb 12oz
Shock natural BFP 15/3/15 :faint:
Finley Thomas born on 5/11/15 at 9.39am 7lb 14oz
Another shock natural BFP 6/8/16
Teddy George born on 30/3/17 at 4.34pm 7lb 9oz

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cheenab" (Jul 14th 2012, 11:46am)

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Monday, July 16th 2012, 8:06pm

Hi there,

My two have reflux really bad and have had times when they decided they don't want to drink anything. To a certain extent, I now go with whatever the babies want. Some days they want a little more, some days a little less but its hard when they just 'go off' their milk. It could be teething but it could also be reflux......does he look like he wants the milk and then when he starts sucking, doesn't seem to want it anymore? It might be worth asking your GP to prescribe some Infant Gaviscon if possible. Mine are on prescribed Infant Gaviscon but also Ranitidine and Domperidone but I think it's because they were so early.

Some babies just don't drink as much as you would like....Holly took ages to settle into drinking properly and I battled for months to get her growing properly. She was tracking the 25th centile (for her corrected age) and wasn't really dipping so the HV just said that she must be getting what she needs even if she isn't drinking as much as we'd like (hope that makes sense).

Hope it sorts itself out soon.
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Reg: Aug 12th 2010

What's Up?
(",)

Monday, July 16th 2012, 8:19pm

Hi Cheenab, my LO never drank the amounts that the guides on the side of the formula tub suggested either. She liked "little and often", and took 4oz instead of 6oz. As soon as I ignored the side of the tub, I began to see that she was drinking regular amounts at regular intervals, so that was reassuring. Well, until she started teething and refused bottles that is! I made the milk warm, cold, room temp, still but had no success into getting her to take more than she wanted at the time.

Have you tried the teething powders you can get? That might ease teething symptoms for him, and hopefully restore his appetite. As far as advice goes...well, I never did make her take more milk, she decided to do it on her own. I think it took about a week for her to start drinking the same amounts. Could you give him a break half way through his bottle, maybe 15 - 20mins?
Aug/Sept 2010 ICSI :BFP: :girl:

cheenab

• "cheenab" started this thread

Reg: May 27th 2009

Children: 3 gorgeous boys Zachary, Finley and Teddy <3

What's Up?
Couldn't be any happier :D

Monday, July 16th 2012, 10:20pm

Thank you both for the replies,
He seems to have got a bit better, still having the odd feeds where he doesn't drink alot.
He is already on gaviscon, I've been giving him it every other feed have been thinking about changing him back to the first stage milk instead of the comfort one, see how he gets on.
Will go and get some of the granules as the bonjela really doesn't seem to be doing anything xx
FET August 2011-1 Blastocyst onboard :BFP:
Zachary William born on 27/4/12 at 10.12am weighing 6lb 12oz
Shock natural BFP 15/3/15 :faint:
Finley Thomas born on 5/11/15 at 9.39am 7lb 14oz
Another shock natural BFP 6/8/16
Teddy George born on 30/3/17 at 4.34pm 7lb 9oz

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE