You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Janniewall" started this thread

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 11:17am

My daughter hates me

I think I am writing this in the hope that someone else says 'yes, my LO does that too' so I don't feel so alone.

Over the last couple of months, I have started to feel that Emilia hates me. She seems to know how to press my buttons and upset my on a daily basis. She is only 21mths old, so surely does not know how to manipulate people already.

She scratches me, hits me, screams, kicks - fortunately no biting yet - any time I try to get her to do something she does not want to do, for example change her nappy. However, every morning when the nanny arrives she smiles and runs into her arms giggling. I just know she would rather spend her time with her nanny than with me. I have tried desperately to bond with her, but since birth have just found the connection to be more 'difficult' than it is with Oscar who just wants to cuddle me at every opportunity.

Emilia was unwell last week, when I was on holiday (so spending 24hrs a day with her and Oscar) and my husband was away on business and I felt that by the end of that time, she really was bonding with me. But come Monday morning, when the nanny came back to work, I felt completely rejected again and since then she has been treating me horribly - which I would not have though was possible for a 21mth old. Oscar is unwell this week, so I am spending more time with him, and I just wonder if she is jealous.

Please help. Is this normal behaviour, or does my little girl truly hate me. I cry daily at the moment because I feel as though this is my punishment for having children when it was not suppose to be in my destiny. I even wondered if I am such a horrendous mother that I should give my children up for adoption because there are so many other people out there who would give them a better life. I honestly feel close to a breakdown, but that may be down to sleep deprivation after 2 solid weeks of unwell children and only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night.

Help.

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 3rd 2012

Children: We want children

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 11:22am

sorry to hear what you are going though. Although I have no children I cant really give you a proper answer and dont take this the wrong way.... any chance she could have ADD or ADHD? it can come around the 2yr mark.... or your right and she could just be jelous... some children are when there are more than one child.. Really hope you get it sorted, :-)

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 11:34am

Hi, Hunny
I am sorry that you are feeling this way but it is normal behaviour.
My son wound (and still does) me up on many occasions and also had a period where he was happier to go to my mother than to come to me. It is, unfortunately, hurtful but will also change with time.

Your comment about wondering if you were such a horrendous mother really resonates with me as I know that I felt the very same not that long ago to the point of wondering when child protection would come and take him from me. For me, it was a symptom of depression. Sleep deprivation also makes this worse and between the two any "slight" feels even worse.
A good friend also had similar bonding problems with her second child who was happier with his father than with her pretty much like what you have described with your DH. In her case it was also linked to depression and has improved VASTLY since she started treatment (medication and counselling)

Please don't take offence but I have to ask: have you at any stage been evaluated for PND or for outright depression? It may be worth having a chat with your GP about your feelings too.

One last comment, advice received from my therapist: "Always remember - no child needs a perfect mother, only a mother who is good enough." You love your kids and you do your best to care for them as well as possible. That makes you good enough and more than good enough. You are not a terrible mother!

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

louise78

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 18th 2009

Children: One beautiful, healthy son. Identical twin boys born too soon, sleep tightxxx

What's Up?
One very happy lady :) xx

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 11:58am

So sorry janniewall that you are having such a rough time. I'm so sorry it is so tough - I can't speak first hand but rene has given some great advice and it is normal. Haven't really got any words of wisdom but just didn't want to read and run. Love to you xx
6x cycles of clomid bfn
2X iui bfn
1x ivf - identical triplets - miscarried triplet at 9 weeks, lost my other two beautiful boys at 23 weeks - passed away shortly after birth 17th June 2010.
4x FET 1 early loss
1 natural early loss.
2011 Nov immune cycle FET bfn
2012 Jan immune cycle ivf bfp baby7 Ds arrived safely 1/10/12 : D
2013 Aug immune cycle FET bfp confirmed miscarriage at 8 weeks
2014 Jan immune cycle bfn
2014 April immune cycle bfn.
2014 July fet bfp ❤️ seen at 7,9 and 11 weeks

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 12:16pm

I am so sorry you are going through this right now, but it will change, she doesn't hate you and you are not a terrible mother! As Rene said, sleep deprivation makes everything sooo much worse. My DD keeps saying she doesn't like Daddy, for months now, and often hits him and won't go to him for anything and always cries with him etc. I think they just go through these phases, it is incredibly hurtful but won't last forever. Maybe she is a bit jealous too and just wants more time with you so certainly doesn't hate you.

I really hope it changed very soon xxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN :-(
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN :bawl:
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 2:17pm

Hi Hun

You are so not alone. I remember when ds was about 14/15 months old he could be so so vicious when trying to get him to sleep. He would do all the things you have described. I even said to my mum I was going to see someone about it cause I didn't think it could possibly be right. But you what he just stopped himself.

Also when he is at nursery or with his grandma he is as good as gold. With me yesterday and this morning I was ready to throttle him.

Please please remember it is not personal and at that age they don't truly know.

One thing I would ask though is is she doing it for attention? When she behaves like this what do you do?

I find with ds the more I ignore the behave and don't give him the attention the better behaved he is.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 9:22pm

Hi,

Very sorry that you feel down but your DD sounds normal to me. My DD prefers her dad and at sleep deprived times it is very hurtful for me and sometimes I just felt I am like a "stepmum", the partner of her dad. I tried to really let her feel my love for her and be firm at the same time. Also discussed this with DH as I needed his support. We are both part-time parents and I am very busy with work these days. I found it especially difficult when DH was busy and DD still wanted her as I felt like if she wants him anyway I might as well go and read a book instead. It must be double hard with two children wanting your attention but you are a good enough mother as Rene said :-)

And it sounds to me you found a brilliant nanny for your children :-)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 12:58am

Eeee lovey, loads of people go through this!! It's nothing to do with tx or destiny or any of that malarkey either.

My little girl was born furious and spent the next four years coming to terms with life. Not the kind of child who could be pacified with a cuddle and I had plenty of scratches and bruises to show for my attempts at affection. I studied the autism spectrum and compared her to my first born who was 'delightful' :rollseyes:

Years down the line that same child turns out to be one of those children who people describe as 'having been here before', y'know, weird, funny, individual, crackers etc.... I think yes, some children are just oddbods. I don't know if it helps or not but I've figured that my girl is one of those who likes to smack my hand away if I try to help her or interrupts me if I try to advise her or would rather do something and get it wrong a thousand times than admit that she needs help. I find myself wondering if that's why she didn't like the helicopter type parenting that most of use do naturally for our little ones. Maybe it's an independence thing? Maybe it's stubbornness, maybe it's just some other personality traits that are magnified a million times through exhaustion, enough to make us feel like we're failing at the job we think we're supposed to be doing a certain way.

From about 4 years of age my Darling Daughter was starting to be pacified and by 8.5 years old I'd say she's almost normal (8 o) ...kinda.... now I honestly think it's a fierce independence and almost an OVER sensitive child, maybe even that sibling jealousy thing is a factor. Who knows if they protect themselves from rejection by acting up and acting untouchable when secretly they crave more but don't quite know how to go about getting it or accepting it?

Either way, you're not a horrendous Mother at all. I have it on good authority that you're actually very lovely. So there :)

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 9:27am

I am sure you are a wonderful Mummy Jannie so try not to be too hard on yourself. I've no pearls of wisdom I'm afraid but it looks like the other girls have given you some good advice.

Just a quick thought, can you have a little outing just the two of you? Something Emilia especially enjoys doing?

xxx

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 9:56am

Hi Jannie,

My DS has just turned 2 and we have similar behaviour! Some times I only have to speak to him and he grizzles/screams/gets stroppy!!! He has a terrible habit of hitting at the moment and we have had some biting, I think he is just pushing the boundaries. Some days I feel like all I do is tell him off! Someone else could say the exact same thing and he will respond and do as he is asked with no whinging!!!. His behaviour is perfect at nursery and comes home covered in stickers as reward for his good behaviour. I know lots of children that act differently towards their mums than to their carers. I don't know why, but it's nice to know its normal!

If you are feeling exhausted and teary it's worth having a chat with someone, have you got a health visitor you could call. I was struggling a couple of weeks ago with lack of sleep and a crying baby and my HV was a great help.

xx

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

• "Janniewall" started this thread

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 11:12am

I just want to give you all a HUGE hug and say thank you.

Bells, your wee one sounds just like mine. I am convinced that Emilia is older than her years and fiercely independent. So I think it is me who needs to come to terms with two very very different children who have very very different needs.

I just want to say a massive thank you - I don't feel so alone now. Thank god for this website or I would go nuts. Must go and do a donation to FZ now as a thank you.

thank you thank you thank you
xxx

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

louise78

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 18th 2009

Children: One beautiful, healthy son. Identical twin boys born too soon, sleep tightxxx

What's Up?
One very happy lady :) xx

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 11:13am

:hugs: xx
6x cycles of clomid bfn
2X iui bfn
1x ivf - identical triplets - miscarried triplet at 9 weeks, lost my other two beautiful boys at 23 weeks - passed away shortly after birth 17th June 2010.
4x FET 1 early loss
1 natural early loss.
2011 Nov immune cycle FET bfn
2012 Jan immune cycle ivf bfp baby7 Ds arrived safely 1/10/12 : D
2013 Aug immune cycle FET bfp confirmed miscarriage at 8 weeks
2014 Jan immune cycle bfn
2014 April immune cycle bfn.
2014 July fet bfp ❤️ seen at 7,9 and 11 weeks

Kimby

Reg: Feb 16th 2010

Children: Beautiful girl born 7th Feb 2011.

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 11:41pm

Jannie, I'm afraid I don't have any advice but just wanted to send you a big :hugs:

I'm sure I'll be reading back over this in a few months looking for advice when Amy hits that stage!

Hope things get easier for you soon....xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 11:57pm

Oh Jannie, I just felt I had to post here. You sounded so sad in your first post so I am glad the advice you have been given here has made you feel better.

Please don't feel like you aren't worthy of your children, you most certainly are. I am sat typing this with a split lip where my LO had a strop getting out of the bath & I ended up with him headbutting my lip & my tooth went through. In his defence it was inadvertent this time but he has been known to smack me & scream at me when for others he is an angel. My childminder says they always behave worst for their parents than they do their childcare provider.

Like Bells and the others have put it, she just sounds very independent and probably doesn't mean to press your buttons but doesnt feel the need to rely on you like your son does.

Just because you sounded so sad, I would try to speak with your GP or HV if you don't start to feel happier once you get more sleep. They will have treated women who have felt like you so many times before, they will know how to get you back on track in no time.

Take care and just know that you and your children are completely normal :hugs:

taxihome

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 4th 2012, 10:41am

hi Hon

I think you have an incredibly clever little girl, who is absoloutley aware that you will be upset that she showes so much care to her nanny. my daughter is just about to turn 1 and i have much, much older boys too. I can really see the difference in the sexes already as well as individuality.

My daughter is more astute and already able to play daddy and mummy off each other and she knows exactly what she is doing.
I bet you that when your not around, the nanny will get similar behaviour. it can also be a way of punishing you hon for leaving her.

Do not fret and I promise it will sort itself out. In my opinion boys are far more cuddly and snuggly when younger but I have been told on numerous occasions, by numerous people that girls are closer to us as they get older.

Good luck, dont place to much mind on it as sometimes we see more than there is if we look to hard for it.

It is going to be ok. I promise. X

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "taxihome" (Aug 4th 2012, 10:43am)

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, August 4th 2012, 8:19pm

Ah yes, my little girl prefers Nanna to Mummy every time. She is also fiercly independent, dresses herself, picks her own clothes, won't let me do anything for her. If I don't let her do something she runs to Nanna asking her!

You're a great Mum, don't ever doubt yourself!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!