You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Hope419" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 9th 2011

Friday, August 24th 2012, 8:01am

day old, latching on and feeding but not sleeping

Help
Everything perfect in hospital. Feeding then sleeping. First night home and she fed constantly with no sleep. I have not slept now since Sunday night and don't want to give in to bottle but feel I have no choice. Help needed quickly

Ps I know she is getting enough as 8 dirty nappies from yesterday to date and one very wet one

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Sep 16th 2010

Children: One beautiful little girl

What's Up?
:)

Friday, August 24th 2012, 8:09am

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl :)
Afraid I cant really help as I didnt manage to breastfeed, have you tried to contact your hv for any advice? Also why not pop along to the new parent chat, there's lots of breast feeding mums in there that might be able to help xxx
Lily born 30/04/12
6 weeks early via c section

MY DIARY

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Friday, August 24th 2012, 9:40am

Why on't you give yor MW a call? As your baby is only a few days old I am guessing they are still caring for you. Giving formula may not solve the problem and if you are keen to continue BF its best to get as much help as possible as you don't want to regret stopping sooner than you hoped. I BF DS for 6 weeks and stopped because I was struggling and should have asked for help. I have now been feeding DD for 9 weeks and spoken to the HV a few times along the way!!! One of the things she helped with was giving me confidence that not every cry was for hunger, unfortunately my DD cries about everyting!!!

Could DH take LO out for a walk to give you an hour or so sleep?xx

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 12:14am

Hi Hope,
Your baby has been doing exactly the right thing! Frequent night feeding for the first couple of nights is the best way to stimulate your milk supply. Once your breasts fill around day 3-4, she'll settle down a bit, and go a bit longer between feeds, and feeds will probably be a bit shorter. Having lots of dirty, not necessarily wet nappies in the first 24 hours, also means she's getting rid of all the meconium (black poo) and is less likely to become jaundiced. So your daughter is very clever, getting it right! :) Because feeding in the evening at at night stimulates your body to release higher levels of prolactin (the milk-making hormone) you may find that when she's having a growth spurt, she will want to feed a lot in the evening for a few days. Go with the flow, and follow your baby's lead - she knows what she's doing!!
Do you have a breastfeeding support group near you? They can be really helpful.
Hope this helps :)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 12:33am

What she said!!!!^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

It's perfect, although it doesn't feel like it when peers are getting four hours between bottles at a day old :rollseyes:

You're under so much pressure to be up, dressed, made up, hair done, welcoming visitors, out shopping, getting on with life and smiling. Our own Mothers spent ten days in hospital, feeding us, resting, recovering and learning how to do it.

Your baby was probably quite shocked and sleepy for the first day or two, even more so if you had pain relieving drugs during birth, now she's waking up and working hard to build up that milk supply so the best thing you can do is get your jimjams on, get an arm full of magazines, make sure there's a telly in your bedroom (send hubby out for one if not!!), get sandwiches, a jug of juice and a bar of chocolate and take yourself up to bed for the best part of a week. Feed, eat, read, rest, doze, cuddle and nap. Let that lovely milk supply build up and remember that this is perfectly normal (knackering, but normal)!

And also, sod the housework!

Reg: May 30th 2010

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 7:40am

Yes that's what my baby did and it is called her first growth spurt I suppose... Do you notice extreme thirst as well? my DH kept supplying me with drinks. Keep it up and it will get netter, promise. That's why you have DH at home for the first 2 weeks.

Congratulations on your new arrival.

xx Rianon

Curlytails

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:baby:

Saturday, August 25th 2012, 9:44am

Did you have a better night last night? I seem to remember DS slept through his first night and then his second night he wanted to feed constantly. It did settle down though. My MW gave me a really good print out (which I can't find now) which had a guide of roughly how many feeds and nappies they would expect depending on the age of the baby. In the early days it is lots of both!

Like Kat13 says, pop into the new parent chat and say hello

xx

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.