You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "lisaw2308" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 2:14pm

Brekkie Ideas

Any ideas please.

M & D have Hipp Organic Hipp a Bix/Weetabix/Greek Yog with fresh fruit/Porridge, they have full fat milk in cereal now, just wanted some other ideas for brekkie please. It's very bad that weetabix & Hipp Organice have salt in but I'm sure it can't be much, they don't have it every day thou. they are 6 months now! 8o

thanks!

x ;)
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Sep 10th 2006, 2:14pm)

• "londonchic" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 18th 2005

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 8:38pm

If they arent cutting any teeth yet then i think what you are giving them is fine. Other cereals such as warmed shreddies and milk (so it goes mushy) can be quite good. Give it another few months and you will be able to give them slithers of toast and boiled egg :]

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 8:40pm

thanks LC,

Yes soliders of toast will be good but not yet at about 8-9mths, they will only choke. Daisy's gums are very red, I think she get a tooth very soon ;( poor liitle lamb!
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Sep 10th 2006, 8:41pm)

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 9:58pm

I use the normal wheetabix, and readybrek, also he has taken a liking to the new oatabix's but you have to be careful cause you only need a small amount and when you've left it to soak and go soggy it expands like crazy!!

i've not tried the shredded wheat although I do have some, so could give it a go, also I cant see mushed up rice crispies being bad. I know you can get a similar thing to mushed up rice crispies in ready done jars, but it just says breakfast cereal ?( smells like rice crispies and says its made of rice!!

I think 90% of foods have some kind of added salt and sugar, and I know it can drive you crazy constantly checking the ingredients lists!! :rolleyes: I wouldn't worry too much about the cereals having it added though cause its probably only trace amounts, particulary as a lot of named brands are pushing the whole healthy thing!!

so long as they're getting home prepared stuff later on during the day too, then you know that there's definately no added sugar or salt to those!

Jessica x x

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 10:01pm

thanx Jess

Your right loads have salt in, yes they have home cooked veg for lunch & either a yog or fresh fruit & puree fruit in the evening.

Bloody tesco sold out of Oatabix! must get some! they love weetabix but it's filling isn't it, they only have 1/2 each.

Have you tried strawberries yet?

xx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 10:11pm

aren't there recommendations against using adult cereals etc under a certain age due to the salt content?

bells and clare will know the answerr to this one
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 10:12pm

whole or blended? he's had them blended with other fruits and hasn't had a problem!! but haven't tried them whole, he has a habit of trying to shove things in his mouth so am still working on the finger food thing!!

The other day I had to rescue some toast that had got stuck to the roof of his mouth and he didn't know how to get rid of it :rolleyes: and earlier today I gave him half a reduced sugar rusk (dont all shout, I know I know!! :O ) and caught him stuffing a big piece into his mouth, from which he promptly got it taken off of him!! :rolleyes:

but I guess they all have to start somewhere and to learn, he's not learnt to bite off small pieces and chew yet!!

Jessica x x

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 10:22pm

hi i have added this thread about salt intake hope it is helpful
x
http://www.salt.gov.uk/babies_and_children.shtml
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Sunday, September 10th 2006, 10:30pm

Ooh thanks Kylie I have often wondered about what the childrens daily intake!! I am guessing that its more based towards people who try and give their kids the proper kiddy type cereals that are full of crap!!

Just went and got me cereal boxes, and it goes as follows:

Oatabix - 0.09g of salt and 0.035g of sodium

Wheetabix - 0.1g of salt and 0.05g of sodium

well thats a big relief!! :D

Jessica x x

Monday, September 11th 2006, 6:35am

thanks Kylie,

I won't be giving their adult cereals until a year but weetabix & oatbix & hipp a Bix are are ok, hipp ones are for babies & toddlers, I really do not see why they have to put salt in them & it's a very small amount so I'm not worried, interesting website.

xx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Monday, September 11th 2006, 6:48am

we give DD weetabix and readybrek sometime. she also started to have scramble egg and toast which she loves

Monday, September 11th 2006, 7:07am

I think there is a school of thought that babies should be allowed to eat whatever they can pick up and put in their mouths - within reason though, you wouldn't give them peanuts for example. I was thinking of giving DD finger food and I've just checked on the HV leaflet and it does say soldiers and sticks of carrot - so I'm going to try scrambled egg and soldiers this week I think.

Ethel

Star

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Monday, September 11th 2006, 7:49am

No that I am a baby expert at all but my friend gives her little girl porridge - made with milk - apparently the health viistor recommended it

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Monday, September 11th 2006, 8:01am

joe eats porridge (baby variety) and fruit...he loves it :D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, September 11th 2006, 11:46am

I've given Weetabix since 6 months, I only gave one biscuit with full fat cows milk and add a mashed banana for extra ooomph! Per 2 biscuit serving there is 0.24g salt and 0.10g sodium.

I think that like most things to do with parenting babies and young children, we can focus too much on the details and miss the big picture. Weetabix is a good source of fibre, it's palatable, contains vits and is low in sugar. It has trace salts in (not added) but on the whole it's pretty good compared to the hundreds of marketed 'childrens' cereals out there which contain as much rubbish as your average bag of sweets.

I like porridge too and if made with FF milk it's lovely. You can Jazz porridge up with fruit too, try tinned and mashed prunes with porridge and its' lovely for little ones.

Original Ready Brek is nice and quick and again doesn't have added salt or sugar. I find that it's a bit wallpaper paste-ish in consistency and without something fruity in for flavour it tastes quite bland.

There's a big debate about sugar in cereals and I agree wholeheartedly that the ones aimed at children contain too much but I don't object to putting sugar onto cereals to make them more palatable. I would rather see a fussy child eating a healthy cereal with a sprinkle of sugar on than see that same child going without breakfast or eating one of the specific kids cereals on offer.

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, September 11th 2006, 1:07pm

I agree Bells, but I would always try without the added sugar first just in case the child likes it as it is. DS1 loves custard made without any sugar at all! I'm sure he'd eat it even with sugar, but why bother to put it in! The fruit I give with custard has plenty of natural sugar in it. I stew most fruits without any added sugar at all either.

Just a quick warning, Primrose: make sure that the sticks of carrot are cooked; raw carrot and apple are two of the biggest choking hazards for children under one (apart from the obvious peanuts).
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Monday, September 11th 2006, 5:25pm

Also my friend's daughter aged 7mths found apple v.sharp and made her sick so start off with the less acidic/sharp fruits first. Of course D & M may love it but porridge and fruit sounds v.nice and soft for the few teeth they may have.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Monday, September 11th 2006, 6:31pm

thanks Ladies, here here bells!!! you can;'t escape from a little salt & sugar in some cereals, I am going buy some ready brek, they love porridge with FF milk, they had weetabix with mashed banana today & loved it, I couldn't get it in theirs mouths any quicker!!! they also like greek yog but its very plain but I do mash some apple/banana/mango with it, haven't tried toast yet will wait until later thou as really wouldn't want to them choke & they have no teeth either! :D
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Sep 11th 2006, 6:31pm)

Missy

Superstar

Monday, September 11th 2006, 7:30pm

Bells, I do weetabix and nana too! :D

Lolly alternates between reddybrek and weetabix with fruit puree, so I'm afraid our diet is very boring! :D

Lisa, I think if M & D aren't getting fulled up on 1/2 do what I did and give them 3/4.. Lolly still finds one a struggle but I give her a mid morning snack of fruit to get her through til dinner now :))

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Monday, September 11th 2006, 7:36pm

thanks Sam, I do 1 & they share but there is always some left so I feel they are getting filled up with their milk also, good idea about mid morning snack with fruit. I do give them low sugar rusks 1/2 each.
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE