You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Monday, September 10th 2012, 5:13pm

breastfeeding and working?

sorry for all the BF posts btw! just so many questions :)

okay so although im not due to go back to work until May when C will be 9 months old i am keen to carry on BF (providing all carries on going as well as it has been). I am working 3 full days a week. I was planning to build a stash up in the freezer from january for day feeds while c is at the childminder but if i were to feed only once in the morning and once in the evening on those 3 days i work (mon - wed) would i lose my supply? also could i go from 6 am until 6 pm without pumping or would this get very painful while in work? im not sure if pumping in work is an option but would rather not if i can help it.

thanks
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Curlytails

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:baby:

Monday, September 10th 2012, 7:25pm

Hi Jen, as I understand it your LO will start to want less milk and your supply will adjust accordingly once you start weaning.

I'm going back to work when DS is 7 months :sadface: and am hoping that by then he will be happy with a morning, evening and after work feed. By law your employer has to provide somewhere (not the toilets) you can express and a fridge to store it in. Maybe you could have a word before you return to find out?

I'll be interested to see other peoples thoughts!

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 4:01pm

Curly is right, your LO may well want a bit less by nine months and your supply will adjust accordingly. I never did the whole expressing thing though so I can't really offer any sensible advice, I am sure someone will be along soon enough though.

It's awful but I can't actually remember how many feeds Freya was having when she was that age (it wasn't that long ago, how soon you forget these things), I think it roughly three though, morning, afternoon and bedtime and because it dropped off slowly I never had any discomfort at all. I still had milk even when she was only having one feed at bedtime so I doubt you would loose your supply by just feeding less a few times a week.

I guess it all depends on what your LOs demands are at that point, different babies drop feeds at different paces. I am sure you'll sort something out that works for you though and it's great that you're getting on so well (despite your silly MIL!)

xxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Reg: Nov 29th 2010

Tuesday, October 30th 2012, 10:06am

Hi Jen,

I know your post was ages ago but thought I'd let you know what I did. I didn't go back to work until LO was 12 months. I too work 3 full days a week. I was planning on expressing at work in the early weeks but luckily over the month before I returned I managed to get LO to drop the mid morning feed. So now I feed first thing, after work and bedtime (first thing unfortunatley still being through the night!!). But this has worked well and my boobs adusted so that I didn't need to express at work and I've had no engorgement. By 9 months I was feeding less anyway. You could build some up for the freezer - you might not need it - but can always use it in food and on breakfast cereal. good luck with it x