You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Rocky" started this thread

Reg: Nov 29th 2010

Sunday, October 28th 2012, 11:32am

Feeding at 14 months

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me.....
I am still BF at 14 months and feed at 4pm, bedtime and during the night. I keep trying to cut out the night feeds but sometimes I cannot settle LO without a feed. I feed him on one boob at around 3-4am and then the other at 6-7am (which is then classed as his morning feed). I have tried feeding both boobs in the night when he wakes to see if he will settle longer but it makes no difference so I have found that by doing it this way I can get more sleep. My question now is about how/when to reduce and stop. He always wants the feed at 4pm. I could probably cut this out and give him a bigger snack and distract him but am wondering if it is right to do this - or should he decide when he no longer wants it? Also, he will not drink milk from a cup so I can't give him the morning or bedtime feeds from a cup. Am I right to still be BF him at this age? Thanks x

Reg: May 30th 2010

Sunday, October 28th 2012, 2:03pm

Hi Rocky, BF at 14 month is lovely I would have done that too just had to stop as we wanted to have another treatment. To be honest there is no right and wrong in BF but I would be selfish and try to cut out the night one as an afternoon one is a lot more convenient. Can you send your DH in for cuddles instead of a 3 am feed?

However altogehter if you both enjoy BF and it times in well with your work (sorry not sure if you work or not) than why not carry on? I would not worry about milk too much either. I know the recommendation is to have this and that much amount milk but I keep wondering why is milk so sacred? I am sure your LO can get the right nutrients from other foods as well and he will eventually learn to drink from a cup anyway when he will start copying you in everything.

You are doing everything right.

xxx Rianon

• "Rocky" started this thread

Reg: Nov 29th 2010

Sunday, October 28th 2012, 3:49pm

Thanks Rianon. He does copy me and will drink water from a cup - but in small amounts but everytime I try milk it ends up getting wasted as he starts messing about with it and splashing it out of the cup. He will not settle in the night for cuddles -tried all sorts with him. I know he doesn't 'need' the milk in the night - but it's the only way I get more sleep. He is teething as well which doesn't help matters (always seems to be teething!) so he does wake up a lot.
How did you stop for more treatment? This thought has crossed my mind for the future as well x

Reg: May 30th 2010

Sunday, October 28th 2012, 8:17pm

Hi Rocky,

Sleep is above all :-) So if that's the way to get your sleep why not. When I stopped BF DD was only 6 month old so she still needed formula milk. I gradually swapped breast feeds for formula feeds in a bottle. I didn't want to indtroduce a cup so early on as I already felt guilty about stopping BF. What made it easier is that DD has always been a very hungry child so even though at first she was sad not to get a BF she was happy to have some "food" at least :-) In fact after a while she seemed really happy to have an "infinite amount" of food supply as compared to beforehand and I used to worry a lot that I overfeed her.

I am no expert but in your case I would not try to swap for milk but just for cuddles or maybe something he likes e.g. an apple or a banana? Is there a local BF group where you live? They might also be able to help. Are you planning another treatment soon? We all have different tastes and he might just not like milk. It is great he likes water. His taste might even change later.

Have a good week,
Rianon xx

2 users apart from you are browsing this thread:

2 guests