You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "hopeful h" started this thread

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 2:35pm

2 year old refusing food

DS is almost two. He has always been a good eater. He had a bug a few weeks back and has been funny with food since then. He eats breakfast no problem, lunch is hit or miss but for the last week he has point blank refused dinner. He doesn't even know what it is but the minute he sees his plate coming out he just puts his hand up and says no no no. We have tried different bowls, plates, cutlery etc. Letting him feed himself, us spoon feeding but nothing seems to work.

He is cutting two teeth at the minute but that doesn't seem to be the problem. After going through the performance at dinnertime he nearly always points to the fridge looking for a yogurt or rice pudding etc. At the beginning I refused this but as time has gone on I've been giving in just for the sake of him not going to bed on an empty stomach. If I leave finger food lying about he sometimes picks but not always. He is drinking his milk and plenty of fluids during the day (not enough to make him not eat his dinner though)

I just wondered have any of you some pearls of wisdom or should I just ride it out and continue offering dinner and seeing what happens? We're also going through a very naughty stage, pushing the boundaries and no seems to be the only word he is using, help!

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 3:16pm

Hiya,

What do you give for lunch? Do you vary it? Is it stuff he likes? The reason I ask is that O goes through stages of not liking stuff and refusing to eat it. At the moment nutella sandwiches go down a treat as do sandwiches she makes herself. I give her a plastic knife and let her butter her bread and put tuna on an stuff and she eats it if she makes it herself.

I also sometimes vary dinner time. And she always sits with me when we eat and we eat together. I also ask her what she wants for tea. So the other day it was fish (without the chips cos she doesn't like them!) the day before she wanted cheerios, the day before that was pasta, tonight its sausages and beans!

At the age of 2 I don't think they can starve. Maybe also just leaving him to it until he asks for something. Could be he's slowed down with the growing and doesn't need at much food.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 4:19pm

Thanks Flic, he doesn't have many words yet so asking him what he wants is a no go. Something he'll eat one day he won't eat the next!

My Diary

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 4:34pm

Hmmm, have you tried just sitting him up, presenting him with his dinner and ignoring? I've resorted to leaving the room before now and it's amazing what an effect it can have. Sometimes I think toddlers will do anything for attention, be it of the positive or negative variety.

Whatever happens he won't let himself go hungry. I've learnt this and now try very hard not to worry and fuss so much. I reckon they all go through funny eating stages at some point or another and they'll all continue to grow and flourish regardless!

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 4:50pm

I'm keeping my laptop open in the hope someone will resolve this before dinnertime tonight : D Yes Gracie, we have tried that, the result was dinner stuck to the ceiling, cat, dog, windows etc!

My Diary

Reg: May 28th 2009

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 4:51pm

I could have written this exact post a couple of months ago!!! Always ate breakfast, lunch 50:50 and no way to dinner. And the kicker is that she wouldn't even taste it! How do they know they don't like it if they don't try it?!

Ultimately it's a phase and he will get better. What I did was try to eat dinner with her where possible. But if she really acted up and food went flying, it was removed and no snacks given. If she made an attempt (3 or 4 mouthfuls), then she would get a snack afterwards. I would also stop snacks two hours before dinner.

In our house, bedtime is 2-3 hours after dinner, so if she refused dinner, I would refuse to give her a snack (but she could have water), then it was bath and milk time. After milk I would make some toast or give a banana to make sure she wasn't starving when going to bed. My theory behind this is that it's long enough after the dinner battle for her to forget about it and therefore I wasn't rewarding the bad behaviour.

But ultimately you have to do what works for you and it is a phase and it will pass - until the next time they decide to be fussy!

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 4:54pm

Oh dear! Well, the only other thing that works well in our house is employing a toy to 'help'. Dolly quite often comes to feed Freya her dinner!!

We're also doing quite well using reasoning, along the lines of, 'if you eat this you can have pudding/chocolate button etc etc'

:goodluck:

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Thursday, November 8th 2012, 6:36pm

hi hopeful h,

erm dont know how to say this ... dont want to cause offence. but i'll give it a go.

my LO is just over 2 yrs. he usually has a very big appetite, believe me hes been known to demolish my cupboards in half a day, except when hes caught a bug and then for about 3-4 weeks afterwards, his eating goes down dramatically.so what i tend to do with him, etcis offer little and often, cos he will go off his main meal when ill or during recovery weeks. so i will basically let hm eat what he wants, when he wants. if he doesnt want dinner, but insists on yoghurt or banana or crisps or noodles etc, then i simply take away the meal and give hm what he wants. slowly, over the coming weeks his appetite picks back up and then hes back onto stuffing all day and a bg evening meal. i try not to worry or cause an arguement over food, dont like food battles.

as the other good ladies have said, he wont starve but could still be feeling effects of recent bug and teething dont help.

my mddle son went off his food when teething and we worked out he refused food because the spoon hurt. so on that score, we used to allow hm to tip food out of hs bowl, onto his tray, didnt bother giving hm a spoon or fork, just let him use his hands. he saw this as really good fun, getting dirty at dinnertime, but it got the food down him without any fuss or arguements.

sorry if ive caused offence at all, was not my intention, just merely my way of helping.

sorry if i havent

anyhow, good luck with whatever you decide to do

xxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

jodiedoo

Ireland

Reg: Mar 20th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
All's great here

Friday, November 9th 2012, 1:17am

Hi HH
Sorry your going through this, I've gone through this since I first introduced food to C. First it was bottles which he refused point blank. Then it was my food, he'd only eat jars with no lumps. He's since moved onto normal food but still isn't fond of lumps lol.
I don't know if this will work for you or not cause your lo is older and might see right through it (my lo is still young enough to be fooled.. sometimes lol) What I do is make dinner time lots of fun. I take every bowl out of the press if he wants them he bangs them, throws them on the floor and I shovel in the food whilst he's not paying any attention. I also touch the side of his mouth and he opens his mouth without even noticing and I spoon in more food. Could you maybe try him with soup and see if that works he may swallow it without having to chew? I also ask him questions like what sound does a cow make? When he opens his mouth to make the noise I spoon in food and clap and say how clever he is. I also use the poor dog I call Jodie in and say Oh look Jodie wants your dinner quick open your mouth before she eats it!! The poor dog gets terribly confused.
Could you try lo with a lighter breakfast in the hope that he'd be more hungry and interested in lunch or dinner?
I'm glad to say it's not every day I've to do this, thank god cause its exhausting lol.
You've probably tried all of the above but I replied in some hope that it may help because I know how stressful and exhausting it is when your lo won't eat :hugs:
TTC 10 years..... Me 41 Dh 48 Jodie's ICSI Diary

• "Redwillow" is 37 years old today

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Friday, November 9th 2012, 8:34am

Have you tried eating with him and just ignoring if he doesn't eat and really ott praising when he does eat. Children in this age quickly get into habits so if you can be strong for 3-5 days he should go back to his old self. I am a strong believer of not offering anything else if food is not eaten my ds did this at lunch and he had no snacks till tea and then he would eat tea.
Hope this helps

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

Saturday, November 10th 2012, 11:24am

Thanks girls for the replies, Jade I couldn't possibly take offence when your post makes so much sense. Last night I decided to forget dinner, DH and I were having takeaway night so I gave DS a banana, some cheese, ricecakes and a muller rice. I was just getting so stressed and fed up with the effort of making food and having it thrown back at me. He ate everything I put in front of him so we'll see what tonight brings. Thanks again girls for all the suggestions x

My Diary

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 2:47pm

thank you hopeful h for the update. its really appreciated. glad i can help for the now anyway.

all i can say is carry on giviing small and often and when you think lght meals arent sustaining him slowly reintroduce the meals you want hiom to have. it can take awhile for the real appetite to kick back in after illness and during teething.

youre dong really well, the worst thng to do would to be part of food battles. no one wins and no one comes away happy. relaxed, small and often on a light diet is the way for now.

keep up the good work

xxxxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

2 users apart from you are browsing this thread:

2 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE