You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

biggreeneyes

• "biggreeneyes" started this thread

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Saturday, November 10th 2012, 7:42pm

Hall light, night light, no light for a 2 year old?

Hi

Im just wanting to hear from you all with a 2 year old (my ds is 2yrs 4 months) and see what 'you' do in terms of having a night light in your toddler's bedroom, a hall light on, no lights etc...and why?

My DS wakes a lot in the night and seems to get upset and i cant work out if its too dark for him. he has amber night light plugged in which is a gentle glow, but apart from that everything is dark and i wonder if he wants more light?

Just interested to know what other people do and why?!

:)

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Saturday, November 10th 2012, 8:17pm

I have only just put a light in Alana's room as she kept wakening up I think at 2 they seem to need a wee light or else it is because she was used to light nights ?? Lia has always settled better with a night light :)

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Saturday, November 10th 2012, 8:50pm

hiya

i have no experience of having a 2 year old however i remember when i was a little girl maybe 4 or 5 i hated the shadows that certain things made even though i knew what they were if that makes sence, maybe ds just needs a little light to reassure him.

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Saturday, November 10th 2012, 9:03pm

Thanks Kirstin and Sasha for you rePlies. Didn't mean to be exclusive to those with non 2 year olds :O glad to hear everyone's thoughts.

I have a blue brighter nightlight but I I wonder If that is too bright! Maybe I need another amber one over nearer his bed? It's meant to be like moonlight but I think it's very bright!

I wonder if I should try a hall light on and see?!

Probably none of these matter! He's always been a terrible sleeper so prob won't make a dot of difference! Lol!

goodgreen

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Saturday, November 10th 2012, 9:14pm

I have always given dd a little plug in night light, it's not very bright at all. That's all. About a year ago she started waking with nightmares, screaming and really sweaty, sometimes standing in the corner of her room etc. I had heard it is often what happens at about that age...mind developing etc... I haven't changed her light etc. hope you find something that helps soon..xx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012 : D
2nd ICSI - May 18 - BFN
4th FET - Sept 18 - BFP but Ectopic MTX 7+4

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Saturday, November 10th 2012, 9:31pm

Hi BGE

From when our DD1 was a newborn she had it pitch black until we moved when she was 2 years and 1 month old, she is now in a much bigger room and to start with I think it was a bit scary in a strange house so we got a bright night light (LED one from Argos) and she settled much better. We still had problems with her waking and asking for the landing light to be put on in the night, we now have another night light plugged in on the landing, she doesn't ask for the light to be put on any more.

When the clocks changed I bought a Gro Clock, I've found it to work really well during the night, it's not so great for waking up time because she's decided if the sun is up outside she'll get up anyway but it is nice to have at least one of my girls sleeping a bit better!

Good luck BGE, you have my sympathy with the lack of sleep and going back and forth most of the night.

xxx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 3:17pm

I've also just bought a gro clock and found it to be great! O has always had pitch black to sleep and its the only way she'll settle properly but the gro clock has a thing that you can turn down the brightness! Quite good!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 4:57pm

My ds has 2 types he has the gro cloc which he loves as he knows when he can get up.
He also has a night light that has a dimmer function as he used to sleep in the dark but now won't and I can adjust the light to what mood he is in each night both work great.
Hope you get some sleep soon.

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 5:05pm

i have been looking at the gro clock. Can it go quite dim?

RW, what is the dimming night light??

PP, im thinking that as he has got older he may like more light. He does have a night light and did get a lvoely turtle that shines lights on ceiling, but it was waking him up as he was drifting off as was on set timer and would then plunge into darkness!!

goodgreen

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 5:09pm

It has 2 functions one button makes it brighter or darker and the second function is where it gradually turns of over 15 mins. I am trying to find you a link will post when I find it.

That is what I have found that ds was sleeping with no light and now likes it quite bright when he falls asleep and then I dim it a bit more before I go to bed so its not too bright.

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 6:44pm

We don't have any lights on but ds has got a Fisher Price seahorse that lights up and plays lullabies and i often hear it going during the night it does seem to be comforting for him. x

Buzzbee

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: A son and daughter - our family is complete :)

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 6:55pm

Interesting thread. My DS has always slept in pitch black but has started to stir at least once in the night and seems to cry in his sleep, which I think is because of nightmares. I was wondering if having a dim light would comfort him but then I am worried it may wake him up more ?o( I think anything that lights up and plays music may annoy him but then again I haven't tried it.

I think I am going to buy a Gro Clock as it sounds really good.

Be interested to know BGE if having a dim light helped. I'm like you and wondering if as he gets older he'd prefer more light.

x
An almost 4 year old son and a 21 month old daughter :)

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 7:09pm

My DS has a little night light but it's quite far from his bed, so wonder of he would like something closer. I imagine there is more to it with my DS as his sleep as he has rarely slept through the night and is now actually in my bed for the second half of the night so we can just get some sleep! So I know I need to tackle more than the RW/light situation! But he has blackout blind and curtain, so it is very dark and he seems to have not been so good at waking and going back to sleep since we moved house and the room is bigger and seems much darker. So hard to know!!

I think I'm going to gets gro clock too as even if it's no sue for this purpose, it can be used at some point :)

I remember, when I was a little girl (bit older than 2) I fell asleep with. Lamp on and my mum would come in and turn it off before she went to bed, but the hall light was left on all night. Hmmmm....

Buzzbee, when my DS was your DS's age, we used to leave the bathroom light on to she'd a bit of light into the hall and his door was left open a bit.

Jasper, Did your DS have the seahorse since very young? I'm not sure DS would 'take to it' now. He does have scout, which plays music and hostage lights up a bit, but he never plays with him at night.

I guess I have to bite the bullet at some point soon and start sitting in there at night when he wakes, but I've just been so tired and been choosing my bed and sleep, so need to break that habit too now!!

RW, thanks Hun, would love that link.

blowkiss

goodgreen

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 7:41pm

He has had it since he was 6 months, but I am not saying it works miracles because as you know I have spent many hours at his bedside trying to get him back to sleep but I do often hear it goi g in the night and just as he is settling to sleep he starts it playing. Theyvare on offer at the moment in a fe shops. I have just ordered a pink one from John Lewis for 10.99. : D

Reg: May 28th 2009

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 10:33pm

My dd has had a light projector since birth as well as a light that can either dim to black in 15 minutes or you can set the brightness.

I mostly have always had a light on so that when I check on her I can see her. She doesn't have blackouts in her room and there's a streetlight near her window - so light doesn't wake her up.

One day I'll have to think about getting her to sleep without a light I guess!!

I've bought my dd a gro clock for Christmas - I didn't know it could dim as well. Fab.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, November 12th 2012, 9:36am

Hi

Im just wanting to hear from you all with a 2 year old (my ds is 2yrs 4 months) and see what 'you' do in terms of having a night light in your toddler's bedroom, a hall light on, no lights etc...and why?

My DS wakes a lot in the night and seems to get upset and i cant work out if its too dark for him. he has amber night light plugged in which is a gentle glow, but apart from that everything is dark and i wonder if he wants more light?

Just interested to know what other people do and why?!

:)

My girl's a lot older than this but at eight she likes a light on all night, despite me having her room dark when she was little (and buying various musical/rotating/dimming lights). She has a wall lamp with a low energy bulb below her top bunk (so quite a gentle light) and she MUST have her bedroom door closed. The other daughter is even older, likes total darkness but prefers to have her bedroom door open.

Just really giving a perspective from a few years down the line when they're able to choose for themselves. I'm sure some people would insist that sleeping in total darkness is best for us but if a child is happier and feels more comfortable or safer with some light then I don't see that there's any problem with that.

I think it's a very individual thing and a discovery by trial and error for each child and their parent.

The important thing is that everyone in the home gets a good nights sleep!

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Flic (12.11.2012)

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Monday, November 12th 2012, 9:44am

Bells, thats what i am trying to work out...what he would like. Guess he'll be able to tell me when he is a bit older!

And a good nights sleep... what IS that? :tired:

goodgreen

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Bells (12.11.2012)

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Monday, November 12th 2012, 12:47pm

hi bge,

all my kids have had pitch black. my youngest (2 yrs 4 months) has a blackout blind, a pair of thick curtains over the top of that and a pair of dark curtains over the top of that. he knows how to feel round for his dummy, and he can even navigate the room perfectly int he pitch black to go to the toilet. there were 2 reasons for this 1) if its that dark, no shadows or scary things. 2) i found that no matter what time i put him down if the mornings were light he was getting me up at stupid o clock (4-30 - 5.30) when the room is pitch black, the sun doesnt peep through until 7 to 7.15 am, which is a more reasonable time :-D .

xxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Monday, November 12th 2012, 2:42pm

a blackout blind, a pair of thick curtains over the top of that and a pair of dark curtains over the top of that.

Jade - wow I'm surprised any light can peep in at all!!

Buzzbee

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Monday, November 12th 2012, 7:57pm

BGE - I'm like you, trying to work out if the reason he is stirring in the night is because he now wants a bit of light instead of complete darkness. I am just speculating on different things that could be the reason for him stirring to see if I can try and help (after ensuring he hasn't got a dirty nappy etc). I guess it's trial and error isn't it until they can say mummy I want a light on please :snigger: Tonight I have put the light on on his BT monitor but it is still quite dark with it on.

My mum bought him a Gloworm last year, which he has never really bothered with but I'm wondering if it may be comfort to him now. I just wish it wouldn't play music when you switched the light on as I don't think music will help (I'm guessing that!). Maybe I will try that another night LOL!

I will definitely be buying a Gro Clock!

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Monday, November 12th 2012, 8:34pm

You sound like me Buzzbee! So many reasons and not sure which!! :snigger:

We have the bt monitor light on as well as a low plug in one!!! Doesn't seem to matter, but I think my DS perhaps might be more habit and wanting to come in my bed now...I mad reding the hard work I have to put in...it only ever lasts for a few days after weeks of using, as he then gets a cold, a tooth or something changes...Grooooan.

Back to the lights.... ::P I have ordered my gro clock from amazon : D

goodgreen

Monday, November 12th 2012, 8:49pm

I know this might sound really obvious but when my ds went through this at about 14-15 months we tried everything lights . But what worked was thick fleecy pyjamas and and a grow bag! I felt really bad that he had been waking because he was cold!!! He was fine from them on in.

It was not something I thought about as our heating was on the room was the correct temperature etc.

Don't mean to sound patronising just passing on what I found out after 2 months of worry!

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Monday, November 12th 2012, 9:05pm

Don't worry! It's hard to get it right, cos sometimes he is sweaty and too hot but then t cools right down at night and I have wondered about him being cold. I do feel his back. He seems ok...but sometimes I do wonder....

goodgreen

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Wednesday, November 14th 2012, 9:31am

My Gro clock has arrived!!!!

goodgreen

Buzzbee

What's Up?

Wednesday, November 14th 2012, 7:26pm

Ooooh let us know how you get on with it. Is it just a light, as well as a clock and playing music? I think if I get one for the time being it'll just be used for the light until DS is old enough to understand what the clock does. xx

Wednesday, November 14th 2012, 7:40pm

Buzzbee - the gro clock displays the time as a Sun and moon. It teaches them to stay in bed until the sun is displayed. There is also an option for a digital time to be displayed for when they are older. It can be used as a light, it doesn't play music. I have one unopened in the cupboard for the time Lily starts getting out of bed too early.

Buzzbee

What's Up?

Wednesday, November 14th 2012, 7:56pm

Yeah I knew about the sun and moon thing, which is what I think is great about it. I can't wait until I can set it at a decent time for the sun to appear and tell N he can't shout us until it comes on the clock LOL!