You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Amazing Grace" started this thread

Saturday, November 24th 2012, 9:27pm

Prams for a toddler and newborn? What did you do?

I know I am totally jumping the gun here as I'm only 7 and half weeks, but I can't help but think about what to do about the whole pram for a newborn and a toddler. What did you do and what did you think of it? I'd be interested in hearing all perspectives. N will be 23 months by the time baby comes.

To be honest I'm not keen on the Phil and Teds, because I really want LO to be in a proper carry cot, but would be interested to hear what those who used this thought? I had the Quinny Buzz with N and loved it. Such a great pram, sturdy but compact for travelling. Pity you cant add to it. Contemplated using that still and putting baby in a sling, but where we live the weather can be windy and crappy, so protection of a carrycot would be good!

I've looked at the Mountain Buggy Duet, but I'm just worried about spending that amount of money when N might not be in it much longer. Not sure how long toddlers stay in prams?! BUT we do LOTS of walking, so would be good for that. If we go for this, I can also see me buying a light double for travel, so will end up spending a fair bit!

Decisions, albeit wonderful ones! Looking forward to hearing how you all got on. Xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Saturday, November 24th 2012, 10:10pm

Hi Amazing Graze and congratulations on your pregnancy : D

We've got a Phil and Teds, our DD2 went in the cocoon as a newborn so was very snug but she grew out of that by the time she was about 3 months old. I still use our Phil and Teds daily and I love it, I refuse to get a stroller because it is so nice to push and fits our lifestyle. We do a lot of walking and even at 3 years and 3 months our DD1 still sometimes like to get in and have a break or a occasionally a nap, either that or I fill it with shopping :innocent: . It is awful to put up and down but as I walk everywhere that isn't really an issue for us, it is also the standard width of a pushchair so easier to get into shops and through doorways. At the nursery our DD1 goes to 2 other mums with 3 year olds have recently bought a Phil and Teds, one has a cheap (£150) double that she hates and barely uses and the other wanted something her son could go in as he had fallen asleep on the buggy board a few times on the way back from outings. The chances are you probably could get at least a couple of years out of any pushchair you buy as long as it is one that is adaptable.

Having googled Mountain Buggy Duet plus a carry cot the price is very similar to Phil and Teds if you have to buy the whole double kit, you may as well get the one that fits your lifestyle and the one you like the most or you'll only end up getting a different one a few weeks or months after your new baby is born.

Enjoy your pregnancy and good luck making a decision!

xxx

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Saturday, November 24th 2012, 10:26pm

I had the same dilema and was adament I didn't want a Phil &Teds but I have got one and I love it! We had the newborn cocoon but hardly used it as most of the time for the first 12 weeks she was in a sling as hated being seperated from me or DH! By this time she was too long for the cocoon so there was an awkward phase where she was too big for the cocoon but not big enough for the seats when DS was alo in there as she couldn't lie flat. We do lots of walking and its great, the basket is small but you can get pannier bags. Invest in some spare inner tube too for the tyres. We didn't want to spend too much as we weren't sure how long we would use it as a double as DS does like to walk alot. We got ours from Gumtree for £150 and it was immaculate, it isn't now though but thats another reason I am glad we didn't spend loads! When we were putting DD in tne sling alot I also worried about her being exposed to the elements so we bought a cover, its almost like a fleece sleeping bag with a hood. Ours is babybjorn but I am sure othr brands do them too. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!,x

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Sunday, November 25th 2012, 9:01am

Have you seen this one Bugaboo Donkey Mono v1.1 Buggy it can be used for 2 or 1 child I have seen them and they look really good as you can move between the 2 easily.

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Sunday, November 25th 2012, 11:11pm

Baby Jogger City Mini - dream to fold/push, side by side but fits through most doors and has an optional carry cot for newborns. Much loved by twin mums.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Reg: Sep 13th 2009

Monday, November 26th 2012, 8:37am

Hi,
I went for a City Mini GT Double and LOVE it (I have a 17 month old and a newborn). I didn't want a side by side at first, but really didn't like the weight or length of the City Select and didn't like the idea of one being below the other in the P&T. We fit everywhere and it is so easy to fold and a dream to push. It also has large seats so can hold a toddler till they are quite big and the seats recline fully for napping. I also looked at the duet, but the seats were narrow and my eldest already looked squashed. The donkey is lush and I am not a bugaboo fan, but the fold was awkward, however, I think they may have resolved this, the only negative I had with this was that I again thought the seats were a bit narrow, ohh and the price ;)

Good luck and congratulations xxx
4 MC - High NKC, DQ A Match
3rd IVF - Immune protocol - baby born April 2011
Jan 2012- Shock natural BFP - due 4th Oct

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Lottie32" (Nov 26th 2012, 8:38am)

Reg: Nov 29th 2010

Monday, November 26th 2012, 10:20pm

We have a mamas and papas side by side that we wish we hadn't bothered with. Very small seats and fiddly to get in and out of. It was the best one we tested for stearing at the time and we didn't want to sopend too much as had already paid loads out on the single one previously. In hindsight I wish we'd researched it better. So might have to get a better one secondhand. Can I just ask how you deal with them being side by side as my older one keeps poking and grabbing at the newborn. For this reason I am tempted by a tandem - but not really keen on them as they are quite long.

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Thursday, November 29th 2012, 8:27pm

I have a Baby Jogger City Mini Double for sale at the moment!
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Blue

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Thursday, November 29th 2012, 8:47pm

I have owned so many buggies - Mountain Buggies, Phil &Teds, Maclaren, Jane, Graco...
But the buggy I LOVE is the Uppababy Vista. It's a beautiful pram, that converts into a stroller, both options can be parent-facing. It has a huge basket, and the most awesome hood that has an extra extendable sun shade. But here is the real beauty - you can clip on an extra seat at the back, and it will also take a buggy board at the front. So it can carry three children, but is the size of a single! It's so easy to alter, which is perfect for you for when your little one wants to walk. I like the clip on seat because if it's not being used as a seat, it gives even more storage. It's just AWESOME!
And I think the adaptors for it to take a maxi cosi car seat is included (but check that).

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Sunday, December 2nd 2012, 7:18pm

This is what I have to get now......jeez!

Tandem Buggy
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Buzzbee

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: A son and daughter - our family is complete :)

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 7:29pm

Thought I'd refresh this post again as I am currently stuck on what to get for a toddler and newborn. I don't want to spend a fortune ideally. I really liked the Baby Weavers Baby 2 Twin but it dawned in me that it wouldn't fit through our doors as it's side by side (it's too big by about 4 cm!) and I really don't want to have to go outside in the rain to put them in the pram so I am now looking at Tandem buggies.

Can anyone recommend any? The thing is I don't like the ones that look like the toddler is sat in the basket, I prefer one in front of the other rather than on top of each other IYUWIM.

My son will have just turned 2 when our daughter arrives so it will be used for a good year or so I reckon.

Thanks xx
An almost 4 year old son and a 21 month old daughter :)

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 8:44pm

Hi Buzzbee,

The age difference is the same between my two and I am using a sling plus pushchair. It might not be what you want and I would definitely not reccomend using a sling if you suffer from back pain. However if you are interested these are my top tips and experience so far:

1) Make sure you buy a good quality sling / baby carrier which is comfortable for both mother and baby and ideally suitable from newborn. There are slingmeets all around the UK so if you have one near you can pop in, try the slings out or even rent one for a month.

2) I started carrying my younger in the sling and putting my elder in the pushchair but 3 month on she is quite happy to walk to most nearby places and insists on her sister going in the pram. The pram is great as it fully reclines so I can swap who is travelling in it :-). Today my elder walked to the bus stop and my younger slept in the pram but as myelder got quite tired by the end of her playgroup she ended up in the pushchair and her sister in the sling on the way home. I never wanted to take my daughter's beloved pushchair away but she willingly offered it. Things can really change in a couple of month time.

3) Buggy boards can also be great unless you use the pushchair for naps as well. With the two I make sure I always get home on time for lunch and nap.

Hope this helps a bit in case it is something you would consider. Feel free to ask any more questions :-)

xx Rianon

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 8:56pm

I went for a Phil and Ted's, one where it looks like they are in the basket and 1 year on I still love it!

When DD was newborn we had a cocoon and the second seat actually goes on the front, so DS still had a good view of everything. Having said that DD spent alot of time in the sling but that's because it's the only time she would stop crying! She then went in to the seat at DS in the main seat. This worked for the first few months as she was asleep alot anyway. Once she reached and age where she inasmuch more alert, DS was walking to walk all the time anyway! For example today we were at Longleat, DD in the main seat and picnic in the ssecond seat until later in the day when he was tired and he squeezed in to the back seat for the walk back to the car.
I have recently bought a side by side Urban Detour off road buggy for only £30, this is for when we go walking along the canal and both children stay in the buggy, it's not one you would want to take in to town!

Sometime in the future I guess DS won't need to go in it at all so we will just use it as a single again....unless we have a big picnic to go in the second seat! The shopping basket is tiny but I use a Tesco bag for life on a Mummyclip, but you can get pannier bags.

It asIsn't perfect but I don't think any pushchair is perfect for all!!x

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Thursday, May 23rd 2013, 3:05pm

hi,

i stuck to my single chicco buggy, and bought a buggy board that had 2 steps not 1, baby went into the buggy (it had 5 position facility, so baby was virtually flat). front facing unfortunately, but i never used prams/pushchairs for long journeys anyway. car is the favourite. elder child would stand on buggy board and when he got tired of standing he was able to turn round and sit on the top step. i also bought a harness to put round big'un and attached it to the pushchair when he was sitting.

but as i say, i went door to door in the car, only used buggy & board for quick walks through town or to get into the local mother and toddler group.
i have since found on ebay a special buggy clip that you can put onto 2 single buggies and turn into a double buggy for £15. wish i'd have known then - wouldn't have spent £40 on a decent buggy board :-/

hope that helps.

jade xxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Thursday, May 23rd 2013, 4:16pm

Hi

We bought a Baby Jogger City Select. It's a tandem travel system and it's great. Not for weaklings though as very heavy indeed! I am 5'10 and frankly have a job with it on uneven surfaces. Pavement camber is a nightmare!

Other than that it's fab. Very versatile, can be used as a single pushchair and fits a Cabriofix car seat.

It also has the biggest shopping basket kown to man!

Goodluck with the pram hunt and congratulations on your pregnancy.

xxxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Reg: Nov 29th 2010

Thursday, May 23rd 2013, 5:30pm

We have the Baby jogger city select but must be an older model than Gracie has as the shopping basket is difficult to access and a pain. Also the straps will no longer fit round Harry comfortably (and he is small as you know) so getting him in it is always a nightmare. TBH we've virtually stopped using ours as Harry wants to walk everywhere. We have a buggy board on the single pushchair. I think I would only use the double now for a whole day out like to the zoo etc. I also avoid being out at naptime for Harry. On the plus side the baby jofgger has a great hood that shades them from the sun (if ever needed) - but I'm not sure I would buy one again! The double pushchair is an issue that I never did find the answer to as they all have downsides.

Buzzbee

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Thursday, May 23rd 2013, 7:46pm

Thanks for all your replies ladies. I guess I do only want it for when I take DS to and from nursery or on my day off in the week if we nip out to the local shops so wouldn't be venturing very far really. On weekends DH would mostly always be with me so we could take the M&P Sola for the baby and the stroller for the toddler and push one each. I guess the advantage to having a double is I can push it and if DS wants to walk DH can walk with him and keep an eye on him but he has the option to sit down if he gets tired, whereas if we took two push chairs out it would be more difficult, if you get what I mean. Oh decisions decisions LOL!

I like the idea of a sling. I have a Baby Bjorn one that I think you can use from newborn but it doesn't look very comfy for the baby, quite padded. I suppose I could give it a try.

Gracie - I know what you mean about them being heavy. My friend showed me hers last week, think it was an Obaby one or something like that, very nice but when she put her toddler in the front seat I struggled to put enough pressure down on it if I wanted to get it up a step and her daughter is lighter than my son. I suppose it would be like that for most tandem ones.

Will check out the buggy boards and other prams suggested.

xx

Thursday, May 23rd 2013, 8:34pm

Buzzbee your description of what would you like sounds exactly the thing a friend of mine used:

Revelo BuggyPod - Kiddicare - YouTube

There is a seat on the side of the pram for the older child which you can fold up if he wants to walk.

My sister-in-law used the Baby Björn. According to sling authorities it would not the best to carry baby all day as baby's legs are not in the "frog position" but should definitely be ok for short walks. It certainly didn't do my nephews any harm :-) (My SIL used it for short walks). I use a wrap-around sling and my friend is using a Beco Gemini - I will switch to a buckle carrier soon as well as I never mastered the back carry with the wrap. I was lucky though as my buckle carrier was a gift from a friend who didn't like it as I know these can be really expensive. Like pushchairs slings also have their up- and downsides and it depends on the actual situtation as while my friend didn't like it it has been great for us.

xx Rianon

Buzzbee

What's Up?

Friday, May 24th 2013, 11:08am

Wow what a great invention! Perfect isn't it?! Only downside is he wouldn't be able to nap in the chair but definitely a great idea and you don't have the heavy bulk of two buggies or a double buggy. Will look into cost etc. Assuming you can buy it in the UK?

Will check out those slings thank you. How long did you use the sling for? I remember carrying DS in the Baby Bjorn when he was about 9 months old and my back killed but he was a chubby baby. I don't think I could use a sling for long even though I don't suffer with back problems. The nursery is about a 10 15 minute walk away - if DS is in his buggy! If he is walking then can take up to an hour LOL!

Friday, May 24th 2013, 9:05pm

With my older daughter I used the wrap until around 3-4 month old then I switched to the buckle carrier (mine was suitable from that age) as I could easily use that for back carry. At 6 month old I bought a cheap stroller and alternated between stroller and baby carrier. After killing a couple of cheap strollers we bought a great second hand buggy at a baby sale event at 15 month old. DD was far to heavy by that time but luckily she loved the buggy straight away. This time I plan on using the sling until my elder does not need the buggy at all or will get a buggy board for her if my younger gets too heavy. I find the sling / pushchair combo great as I can still put stuff in the pushchair so I don't have to carry everything.

I beleive you can find this side chair-pushchair in the UK my friend actually bought it abroad but when she also bought a a raincover she could only have it shipped to the UK and asked me to help (that's how I know such a thing exist) so I would assume you can buy it here.

Good luck in the decision making but it is such a lovely trouble to have :-)

xxx Rianon

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE