You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Natural_Horse" started this thread

Reg: May 28th 2009

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 10:26am

Do you use a travel potty?

Hi ladies,

I am looking for some advice and tips please from those of you who have potty trained – or are in the process of potty training.

My DD will be 2 in 2 weeks (OMG!!) and I know she has been showing the signs of being ready to be potty trained for a few months now.

She sits on a potty before the bath every night and does sometimes wee and poo in it without issue.

She tells me (demands) when she wants her nappy changed. She can get on and off the potty herself and has relative success with pulling her trousers down and up.

She certainly has the understanding and language skills to start training but I have been holding off because the thought terrifies me a little.

I don’t want to start until I have worked out in my head how I will deal with it. I want to be 100% comfortable in my approach, which will hopefully make my DD comfortable with it to.

I plan to take a week off work to start the training and then will work with my childminder there after.

So I plan to ditch the day time nappies completely and go to pants. I was going to use a travel potty for when out and about but have been surprised to read on forums how negative a lot of mums feel about them. Ie the use of them in public spaces.

I must admit, I once saw a woman whip out the potty for her DD when we were all in a queue to go to the swimming pool. The queue was long and not moving but she literally stayed in line and got the girl to use it there. I didn’t like that and was uncomfortable seeing that. Surely she could have taken her to a secluded area to do it.

So my question is, do you have to use a travel potty?

I think my DD wetting herself would help her learn more about bladder control than the instant solution of a travel potty. I know that means more washing and inconvenience but surely that’s part of the learning process?

Also, do you think it’s reasonable to not use nappies for naps right from day 1 (fully protecting the bed of course), or should I use nappies for the first few days/weeks, and then cut out the nappies? I have no intention of stopping the night-time nappies for quite some time.

And then when DD goes back to the childminder, the training will continue. But the childminder did say that she will have to put a nappy on when they go to places like softplay as “wee in the ball pool is not a good thing”. Now I understand this but I don’t want it to create confusion or put the training back a step.

What if I asked the childminder to put a nappy on only once they have arrived and to put a nappy on over a pair of pants, that way DD will still feel like she has wet herself? Do you think that would work?

Argh I have like a zillion questions but will leave it at that for now as this is turning into a bit of an essay! Thanks in advance for all your advice and tips.

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 1:27pm

Hiya NH
We did have a travel potty called a pottette plus as it could be used as a potty and as a toilet seat. I loved it and used it everywhere on the bus and even on the plane. I always tried to protect ds modesty but if he needed to go he needed to go.
Re nappies at the childminder you could try the training pants which allow the child to feel wet but protect everything else. But I personally would request the childminder does not use that as it can cause confusion.

With ds we had a timer that went off every 10-15 mins and would race to the potty he seemed to prefer something else to remind him he needed to wee then mum keep asking him if he needed to go.

When we had dry days we had a wee wee party to celebrate.

For me I feel the more relaxed you are the easier it is for the child. I was a nanny before ds so have potty trained 7 children now I think that helped with ds as he took his nappy off at 18 months and said no more so we ended up potty training earlier then we thought we would.
We took nappies away all day and this included naps and then we took the night nappies away at 2 once they were dry regularly .
Hope this is of some help.

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 1:38pm

Thanks for the reply red willow. How did you manage the naps during those very early stages?

And in regards to the childminder, I would prefer her not to use nappies but I have to be realistic. She looks after several children and has her hands full. I can't expect her to give my DD 100% of her time and attention while she is going through the training.

How does the potette work as a toilet seat?

Must admit I don't feel comfortable with the thought of using a potty on a bus or plane.

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 2:06pm

I covered the bed and used bed mats which meant I just took that off when it got wet and I was not constantly changing beds.
The pottette works as the legs turn out and sit on the toilet.

I did carry a muslin to cover everything I felt like that at the beginning but changed when I realised how upset he got if he wet himself because I couldn't get him to the toilet in time because at the beginning it really is a matter of seconds that you have to respond to that little wee wee mummy. My ds got really upset so I just did it. It didn't last long I think it was about 3-4 weeks till I had more of a warning and was able to get to the bathroom.

Do try the training pants for the childminder as it is not like a nappy and should cause less confusion they are like pants with a waterproof outside.

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 2:42pm

Redwillow - i didn't even know what a training pant was until I just looked it up! Do you have a brand recommendation?

Training pants seem to be a good idea for me as well, if I am going to go out without a travel potty.

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 2:49pm

I got the ones in mothercare.

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 7:49pm

hi,

dont overthink it, no offence meant, it is scary (but fun) the first time round. i found just doing what i needed to do helped. my ds has been trained for a while now, but still wears pull ups at night. when were out and he needs a wee, i find the nearest drain or let him wee up the car wheel. it helps that i know when his poo time is. and thats usually just after tea time and were at home then. when he first started i used to carry a potty n the boot of the car - but then how do you dispose of it. so in the end i didnt bother.

naptimes i used to just put a bed mat under him or a nappy under his bum (didnt bother taking trousers off, if they got wet, they got wet). i praised him when he did well and just said oh never mind, better luck next time if he made a mistake.

good luck hun, enjoy it and let your baby lead you

xxxxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 8:37pm

I just took a normal cheap potty in a plastic bag. I did use it out and about but never just in full show but that's just a personal thing. Didn't use it for long and then he was dry.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Thursday, December 13th 2012, 8:38pm

Oh and for nap times I used to still put him in a nappy. Now he is three he doesn't have a nap so no need to worry. But he is definitely not dry every night so still in a nappy at night. But as with everything my gorgeous boy has done he will do that in his own time.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(

Friday, December 14th 2012, 3:26pm

Thanks for the replies ladies.

I need to work out when is the best time to take off work, as I want a week to dedicate to it. I think end of next month will be the best time. Yikes!!

So another question, during potty training, what aids did you find essential and why?

I am thinking I need to buy as rewdillow suggested some training pants, lots of packet of pants, and some cheap jogger bottoms. Maybe some disposable bed mats that I could use in the car seat and stroller?

I already have two potties (one for upstairs, one for downstairs).

Perhaps a foot stool to help with hand washing.

Have I missed anything?

Also in regards to clothes. My DD is normally wears lots of layers to keep warm at this time of year - tights, leggings, jeans... that would not help I guess when you're in a rush to sit on the potty. Any suggestions of where to find warm but easy to pull down jeans or jogging bottoms?

Friday, December 14th 2012, 5:56pm

I had ds in the house with just pants till he got the hang of it and outside I would dress him in tights and trousers and when I got to the group if he was inside I just left him in the tights as they were quick and easy to get down. But I also did the very regular sitting on the potty first thing in the morning it was 15 mins and by the end of the day every hour and I carried a timer as ds seemed to prefer this than me asking all the time and he had fun with it as he loved turning it off when he was sat on the potty it became a race to how fast he could get to the potty and the timer.
It takes about 2 weeks of practice but poos are often a bit more tricky as many children are a bit scared of the dropping feeling. Ds hated it so i used to put a nappy on the potty when I knew it was time and just pushed it further in each time to gradually get used to the feeling. So the first time he was sat on the potty and the nappy caught it.
I went to primark and asdas for cheap bottoms. And carried tons of nappy bags for the wet ones.

I guess the other thing I had in abundance was stickers for that instant reward.
Good luck and relax and so will DD

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Friday, December 14th 2012, 6:31pm

Please remember in this all kids are different. Kaynan got the wee wees very easy but the poos took him a long time- a lot to do with some digestive issues.

Regardless of when ya do it let her take it at her own pace.

Yeah you will definitely need lots of pants lol. Always make sure she's been for a wee before travelling and at first just do short journeys if you can.

I think you are right to have a whole week to do it. I did that and it worked much better.

Also don't make too much of a big deal of things. Kj did like his reward chart and stickers for when he'd done a wee.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE