You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 9:31am

20 week old waking alot at night

C is 20 weeks old (where does time go?!) and exclusively breastfed (no solids yet). She feeds about every 2.5 hrs - 3 hrs in the day and was originally waking once, maybe twice for a feed at night. We co sleep (she has a co sleeper crib but is often in our bed also). She used to have a quick feed and back off to sleep again. Lately she has been waking a few times, feeding for a few seconds then getting fussy and crying and coming off the breast. she wont go back to sleep for quite a while. I know that their sleep can change a bit at that age. Not sure how to resolve this (i dont want to rush into solids as many of my friends family have suggested unless she is definately ready as i did this with DD1 and dont think it was the right thing to do looking back)
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 11:37am

Maybe try her in her own bed, some babies get better uninterrupted sleep like that. My DD always slept better in her own bed and once she went into her own room, even better. I think we disturbed her more than we realised. Xx

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 7:14pm

Own bed was great for our little one too also could this be just another of those growth spurts? I wouldn't rush into solids either unless she shows the signs that she is ready.

xx Rianon

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 8:00pm

Hi, Hun - if it was hunger then she would have a full feed each time she woke not just a quick suck and a long restless time. That then elliminates the need to feed anything other than the brilliant mummy-milk that she is currently enjoying.

Could she be teething? Are there any signs that her ears may be bothering her? For me these would be the first 2 things to check (pain can be more of a problem at night even if she is fine during the day as there is nothing happening to distract her from the sensation) - but maybe that is because my own little one had lots of ear problems that I was actually not aware of initially.

Also - might she be either too hot or too cold? Even while co-sleeping this could be a problem especially now with the season having changed - she is, after all, a summer baby...

And do not feel pressured to start solids until you feel that both you and she are ready for that step. You have done a brilliant job keeping up the feeding till now...

Good luck, Hun, and hope she settles into a better pattern again soon...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 9:17pm

Thanks ladies - i didnt think she was ready for solids but well intentioned family and friends made me doubt myself but it seems as soon as you pass the 16 week mark every issue seems to attract a prompt "she must be ready for food" response.

i do like co sleeping but did have the feeling we were disturbing her...the only issue we face is she doesnt have a room yet :S we are moving feb time to a bigger house so that may solve a problem or two but currently a full size cot wouldnt fit in our room so shes been in the co sleeper (but again im sure we disturb her) It is a possibility she is teething - i can see 2 bottom teeth just below the gum but they have been there since she was 7 weeks. She has been a bit sniffely today aswell so have given her some calpol this evening and so far shes been soundly asleep next to me asleep since 7. The too hot/ too cold thing does concern me. Our heating upstairs was broken and we didnt notice until after the temp had dropped and we'd started putting the heating on again. it has recently been fixed so it is alot warmer than it ever has been. I wear a tshirt to bed and C is in a vest and sleepsuit and we are both alseep under our 13.5 tog duvet. I sleep with my arms out over the duvet to stop it going up too high over her. I always worry what to put her in in her co sleeper though. how many blankets would you suggest? do you think vest and sleepsuit is ok? i do secretly love her middle of the night feeds but only the ones where she goes straight back off to sleep again!

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 10:11pm

If you both like co sleeping I would go for it :-) I think Amazing Grace and myself were just sharing our personal experiences and not trying to persuade you either way. I had a lot of problems with temperature too never knew for sure and we did have a couple of nights when she woke extra because of feeling hot / cold until I realised. Despite having a thermostat...

You're a good mum to both of your children never doubt yourself xx

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 10:29pm

I breast fed and coslept (still do co.sleep) but when he was tiny, i had him sleep above my duvet with a fleece blanket over him. I didn't want him getting too hot. I figured it was easier to warm him up if i needed to warm, but a lot harder to cool him down quickly if he.was.too hot. I found his sleep pattern became very restless when he was on a growth spurt, teething or poorly.

You're doing a.great job there, don't let anyone with good intentions make you doubt yourself. And after all baby has only been here 20 wks, still doesn't really know what's expected of her regarding day or night yet.

Keep up the good work

xxxxx :thumbsup:
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Sunday, December 23rd 2012, 8:05am

Thanks girls :)
you'd think it would be easier with baby number 2! but i think my parenting ideas this time are so different from the first time round it feels like its all new! On the plus side she seems to be sleeping better - she is waking but just feeding then sleeping again. sometimes she latches on without me even really noticing which is lovely! i think we will eventually stop co sleeping (probably when she has her own room) but just glad im getting a bit more sleep again - perhaps it was teething x

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, December 24th 2012, 7:09am

Glad that she is settling again and you are getting more rest...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE