You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

• "kat13" started this thread

Reg: Sep 16th 2010

Children: One beautiful little girl

What's Up?
:)

Friday, January 4th 2013, 12:46pm

Am I feeding lo too much/often?

Im after some advice, lo is 8 months old and has been weaning since 5 months. She has mashed food now plus finger foods. I used to give her her bottles after her solid meals but found she wouldnt drink much so changed our routine. She has the following:
8am porridge/ weetabix and fruit as finger foods
10/11am 6oz bottle and then a nap
12.30/1pm lunch plus finger foods with either a fruit pot or yoghurt for afters
3/3.30 pm 6oz bottle then sometimes a nap
5/5.30 dinner plus finger foods and afters
Bath at 7.30 and 8oz bottle then bed.
Whenever we're at peoples houses, they make comments like 'you're not feeding her again are you?'
Should I be getting lo to drop a bottle and replace it with a snack or carry on as we are? Even though she was 6 weeks early you'd never know to look at her, she was last weighed about a month ago and was just over 20lb
The worry is never ending isnt it lol xx
Lily born 30/04/12
6 weeks early via c section

MY DIARY

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Friday, January 4th 2013, 3:12pm

Sounds right to me Hun. Somedays it does feel like all ya do is feed lol

Each child is individual and its what works for them. Cobi is 10 months next week and this is how his day goes.

Morning 6-8oz bottle, an hour later breakfast.
Dinner time - dinner s today fish pie and beans and then about 2 hours later a 6-8oz bottle. Today he only wanted 4 ozs.
Tea time - tea and pudding.
Before bed a 6-8 oz bottle.

So timings may be different but in terms of food and bottles look like you got the balance just right. Cobi sometimes has snacks in between as well.

I found with kj he told me when he wanted to drop a bottle. He dropped the dinner time one first then the morning one and then just had a sippy cup with milk at night. But this wasn't till about 14 or 15 months. I suspect Cobi will drop his dinner time one in the next few weeks but some days he finishes the whole thing.

Please don't worry about the weight. Cobi is about 23lbs and lost quite a bit when ill. Kaynan was the fattest child ever and now he is like a racing whippet and I often think he looks under weight lol

And you are right the worry does never stop. It is true what they say though you tend to relax a lot more with the second cause you've done it before.

I hope some of this helps Hun. If you have anymore questions give me a shout.xxx

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Friday, January 4th 2013, 3:26pm

Thanks hun, feel much better now. Another question :O during the day lily nearly always finishes her 6oz bottles, should I up the bottle amount or up her solid food or keep it as it is.
I was in the supermarket the other day and a stranger came up to me out of the blue and said, cor she likes her food doesnt she!! Didnt know whether to be pleased someone actually realised she was a girl ( even head to toe in pink people call her a boy) or assume she was saying she was over weight.
By the time I've got the hang of all this she'll be moved out and getting married lol xx
Lily born 30/04/12

MY DIARY

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Friday, January 4th 2013, 3:37pm

I see no problem with the amount of milk you are giving her. I do however have to ask what other liquids she is having every day. C, at that age, used to have a bf at 6am, 9am, 12noon, 7pm and then at bed-time besides his solid foods and at least one, sometimes 2 bottles of juice/water/rooibos tea.

Think of her liquid intake this way: how many cups of tea/coffee/softies etc do you drink per day? As often as you need a drink so does she and her body still needs the additional nutrients from her milk feeds. At this age she is still growing very fast and needs both the food and the milk that she is getting. If others question this then there is a problem with their thinking...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Friday, January 4th 2013, 4:01pm

Thanks Rene, I offer water throughout the day and after meals. She doesnt take much, maybe half/ three quarters of a sippy cup xx
Lily born 30/04/12

MY DIARY

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 8:35am

hi Kat

my lo is just a wee bit younger than yours but he's prob not far off the 20lbs, he would eat your hand if you let him but i see it as a good sign, as long as what they are getting is healthy i don't see the problem, i'd rather have a ds who was a good eater than one who fussed at everything.

At the mo i do the following

breakfast - porridge with fruit in it made with cows milk and a 6oz bottle
then when i have breakfast he gets wee bits of my toast and banana as finger food

mid morning he sometimes gets half a biscuit (baby biscuit)

lunch is soup (chicken and veg home made) prob the same amout as a baby jar and a 4oz bottle

mid afternoon is the other half of the biscuit

dinner again prob the same amout as a jar and 6oz bottle and sometimes yoghurt

bed time is a 9oz bottle

i'm hoping to drop the lunch bottle soon and start giving bread and a bit of fruit at lunch then reduce the tea time to 4oz and up the food.

my friend has a 10 month old and this is what she does ( i don't know about snacks)

breakfast - weetabix with half banana and 7oz bottle

lunch - soup, bread, yoghurt and no bottle

tea - dinner, desert and 4oz bottle

bed time - 9oz bottle

i think they recommend 20oz of milk until they are a year old, i think what your doing is totally fine and i don't think 20lbs is big for 8 months although i'm so used to everyone commenting on how big ds is but he's not fat but totally solid, i think if you were giving too much lo would be sick

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 11:11am

I would say if she isn't crying for more milk when the bottle is empty that I would stick to 6ozs.

Does she sleep well?

I always know Cobi has had enough cause he sleeps 12-13 hours and only about 10or 11 when he hasn't or having a growth spurt.

Hopefully all the answers will show you they all different, it's trial and error and I personally think you doing a fab job.

Be pleased that she's eating cause you would be more stressed if she was a fussy eater and was under weight.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 12:37pm

Your routine sounds perfect. Just go with your child and you can't go wrong. She will drop bottle feeds when she needs to. I would top up her solids rather than give her more milk during the day if she finished 6oz and just offer more water at this stage. My LO eats LOADS and it worried me, but the HV said to just give her what she needs. She is actually quite low in weight, but is extremely active, so must just burn it all off! My LO started sleeping 7-7 when she was getting enough from her solid meals each day. Sounds like you are doing a great job! It is a constant worry! xxx

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 5:28pm

Thanks ladies, I will stick with what we're doing. Think I just needed some reassurance. We're very lucky as lily has slept 12hrs at night since 3 months old unless she's poorly. Definatly pleased she likes her food, she loves everything as you're right Gemma, i'd be more worried. Where would I be without all you lovely ladies blowkiss
Lily born 30/04/12

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Saturday, January 5th 2013, 6:22pm

Hi there,

I am a little worried about how my two are getting on to be honest. They are nearly 15 months (actual) and 11 months (corrected). At the moment they are doing the following:

5 am - 8 oz
7 am - Muesli Breakfast and fruit
10 am - 6 oz
12 - Sandwich/jar of food etc and yogurt
2 pm - 6 oz (this is being phased out as they don't really want it most of the time)
4 pm - Toast, fruit etc
5.30 pm - 8 oz

Elliot is obviously not eating as much as Holly as he still has a little difficult with lumps due to his CP.

They seem to be healthy enough and growing nicely.....I don't want to take away anything and slow their growth!

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

hx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental

Monday, January 7th 2013, 7:08am

Hi, Hailey
If they are growing well and happy to take what you are giving, I would continue as is.

Reg: May 28th 2009

Tuesday, January 8th 2013, 4:02pm

Hayley - I think you're doing a fab job and if they are growing, happy and content then you are doing beautifully!

Now this may be just because you did a quick menu example, but the daily meal sounds all wheat and fruit. I'm sure you give them a wide variety of vegetables and meat as well. Just wanted to check! :)

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Tuesday, January 8th 2013, 9:44pm

Hi there,

We have issues with veggies.....and meat sometimes.....

Neither of my two are easy to get to take veggies and meat (aside from in jars or Ellas Kitchen food). It's made harder that Elliot can't do finger food just yet because of his CP. What sort of stuff should I be giving them?! I am clueless and have very little time to do....well ANYTHING!

h
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Reg: May 28th 2009

Wednesday, January 9th 2013, 9:15am

Hayley - try pureeing some veg and mix it with a sweet fruit. For example, I used to puree broccoli and apple together. Annabel Karmel has great recipes on her website for puree combinations. What about adding salmon to a puree as well? Or chicken?

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

What's Up?

Wednesday, January 9th 2013, 9:50am

What about veges in cheese sauce Cobi loves it!!!! Mix some very small bits of chicken or fish in as well.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental

Wednesday, January 9th 2013, 3:30pm

Make a home-made soup or stew - puree some for the kids and you have dinner for the family. Also, when you puree, put some in the freezer for next time so that all you need to do is defrost, heat and feed...

Oh - and when you puree the stew/soup do the veg by machine and finely chop the meat/chicken by hand or the meat will play havoc with your blender's blades.

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Wednesday, January 9th 2013, 10:26pm

hi Hayley

i batch make everything, i steam veg and freeze in ice cube trays then the night before leave out what i need, i have a slow cooker that i use, i hate cooking and don't find the time with one never mind 2, i put it on in the morning, whatever i'm making is ready for tea time and if there's anything left i freeze, i also make soup and put wee bits of chicken in it.

will they eat from your plate if you are eating?

my ds is just starting to want to eat everything but doesn't always remember to chew and chokes which is very frightning.

good luck

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Thursday, January 10th 2013, 8:36am

Batch cooking is the way forward! I still do it for DS at 2.5 years! Our freezer is full of small tubs of fish pie, bolognese, casserole......and ice cubes of fruit and veg for DD. I tend to do it at the weekend when DH is home and then we are set for the week!

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)