You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

flossyv

• "flossyv" started this thread

Reg: Jan 3rd 2012

Monday, April 29th 2013, 4:10pm

Started weaning after some advice and help

Afternoon mummies and daddies

I have a 6 mth old daughter and am beginning the nightmare that is weaning! The thing that I am struggling with the most is times to feed, give bottle etc... This is our routine at the mo:-

7-7.30am bottle 7oz she loves it
Nap 8/9ish
10.30 bottle 7oz
Sometimes she naps again
1.30 bottle 7oz
Generally naps from 2-4 ish
4.30 bottle 7oz
6.30/7pm bottle bed 8oz

I have started giving her some breakfast after her 1st nap but she hasn't been taking much, tried rusks, porridge, fruit she doesn't like baby rice.
I have been trying her with bit of lunch before 1.30 bottle pretty unsuccessful same at tea time too.

I am not sure I'd I should drop 1 bottle as not sure if she still should be having 5 bottle now at her age. She loves her 1st and last bottle still and tho theirs sometimes not so bothered about.

When she was about 4 1/2 mths she was loving her food. I wanted to do blw and spoon too.

Need some suggestions or advice about times to feed whether I do it before bottle or after or same time....I am stressing. She also doesn't drink water!

Help

Thanks x

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Monday, April 29th 2013, 4:30pm

Hey

Try not to stress, I got myself really worked up with my first daughter and used to worry myself to death over how much she did or didn't eat.

I am probably not the best person to advise as I BF my daughter and her routine is all over the place due to demand feeding (I have nap envy, how do you manage that one!). However, I would say try her with food after her milk, she won't be hungry and will probably be more interested to try and eat something. I know that sounds bizarre but she needs to learn that food satisfies her hunger the same as milk does and that takes time.

If you are up for trying BLW then go for it! There's a great thread on here all about it. I have just started weaning my second daughter and am doing BLW with her (as I did my first) and it's amazing how fast they learn and it really is a case of letting them just get on and try anything. Last night Poppy had venison casserole, mash and green beans. OK, so she made a lot of mess and didn't really eat much of it but she loved it and is learning how to deal with having pieces of food in her mouth.

Don't worry too much about water drinking yet either, just offer it and over time she'll begin to drink it.

The motto I learned was, 'Food is fun before they're one' and it's one worth remembering! I honestly feel much less stressed about it all second time around as I know very well that my children won't let themselves go hungry or thirsty.

Hope this helps a bit and :goodluck:

xxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Monday, April 29th 2013, 6:29pm

Hi flossyv

These are the times that I feed

7am or thereabouts - wheetabix with formula and banana, my ds hated baby rice, your lo should be fine with half a wheetabix at 6 months

nap, then when my ds wakes he gets the rest of his formula (7oz all in)

11.30 - lunch, usually soup and fruit or yoghurt

nap

3pm - 5oz bottle

5pm - dinner and fruit

6.30 -7pm - 7oz bottle

hope this helps

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

flossyv

• "flossyv" started this thread

Reg: Jan 3rd 2012

Friday, May 10th 2013, 5:51pm

Thanks for advice ladies, she is now having some food but not sure if I am making a rod for my own back or not, she loves Ella's pouches and She'll happily hold and suck them out herself, but when I have given her other veg by itself she isn't interested. I don't know if it because the pouches pretty much have fruit with them and she likes that she has a sweet taste like mummy I think, and therefore isn't keen on veg by itself.
So now I don't know what to do. I also tried cheese sandwich, sort if sucked it, she doesn't like yogurts also....I am trying to think food is fun tills they are one but it does stress me out. She us still on 5 bottles as not enough consistency with food. Any suggestions? Shall I stop the pouches and just give veg and fruit separately until she gets to like it? Ahhhhhh ?o(

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Friday, May 10th 2013, 8:46pm

Hi again

Have you got any books on the subject? I guess there are two camps, Annabel Karmel (traditional method) or Gill Rapley (BLW). Neither method is right or wrong, it's just down to your preference. Personally I always steered away from ready made baby food but that was just my choice, Annabel Karmel has great recipes and to this day my oldest daughter still loves her hidden veggie pasta sauce!

Your daughter must be a similar age to my youngest. Poppy is proving to be very interested in food and tonight had a carrot for her dinner, mostly because it needed eating up and she hasn't had much milk today and I didn't want her filling up on food when it's milk she still really needs. I just steamed it for ten mins (the Avent steamer/blender is a worthwhile investment) and cut it into big fingers.

Most of it ended up on the floor but she very much enjoyed playing with it and experimenting. Babies of this age will be happy just to play with food, it doesn't matter if they don't consume much of it but its amazing to see that despite what you think it does in fact get eaten, the proof is in the nappy!

If you decide to try BLW then just start with fingers of veg, make sure they are quite long as your LO won't have learned how to open her hand yet so can't get to the bit in her hand.

Just pop some food on her tray and leave her to her own devices (just read that back, sorry, I don't mean leave the room, bad wording or what) and I guarantee you'll be amazed and what she will do. Try not to watch her too intently or fuss over her (yes, I know, it's really hard to do).

Ah, listen to me, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about! I guess second time around it's just less stressful, I worried hugely first time around.

Hope this helps a bit!

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Monday, May 13th 2013, 4:04pm

Hello Flossy

Good luck with your weaning! Sounds like you're doing great so far. And Gracie is giving you really good advice!

From my experience with one little boy, I can only add two small things: first a recommendation for a book I love which, unusually, has both purees and proper family food suitable for BLW: The River Cottage Baby and Toddler book. It is very unusual in that it gives examples of both approaches in one book. It definitely supports BLW but not in a miliant way, so I think it is perfect for using in real life - it is a good reference book for finding out what suits you and your child and not just following a formula, if you see what I mean.

The other thing is that when I was weaning my DS I used to use pear puree from pouches to stir into home-cooked food, like baked potato / sweet potato / lentils and it would act to sweeten the flavour and soften the texture for him, and it is also is good for digestion (my LO had terrible constipation early on so I was super careful afterwards to avoid that happening again). So if you would like a way to move away from pouches perhaps you could try something along these lines for some meals?

Tastes and flavours seem to change a lot for little ones, so if she doesn't take to something now it doesn't mean you'll be stuck with that - it might be her favourite thing in a couple of months. Appetite can go up and down hugely too, so that's not something to worry about too much. I like Gracie's motto: 'Food is fun before they're one'!!

Good luck

Bee
:)
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, May 13th 2013, 9:09pm

My only advice is to eat the same things you give LO at the same time. Nothing motivates them more than seeing you eating something. some days my boy don't eat anything off their own plates but they'll eat everything of mine - well youngest throws a lot of it but that's a stage he's going through.

Oh and don't stress too much (I know that's easier said than done), the first months of weaning are really about playing with food, learning its texture and flavour rather than actually sustaining themselves with it. First son took to weaning VERY well, second still wasn't eating more than a few mouthfuls by 9 months, more interested in squishing it or sucking it and spitting it out.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE