You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Net

• "Net" started this thread

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Monday, May 13th 2013, 2:21pm

Slow weight gain

Hi all
My LO was 6.6lb at birth and as of last Wednesday 1 may was only 9.6 lb at 11.5 weeks old. This puts her on second centile, having being born on 25 th (only just). The HV's have been a little bit funny with me and asked to refer her to a paediatrician. I have said yes to this but in my heart of hearts I think she's fine as she is happy and alert, sleeps really well and has lovely chubby cheeks and arms and legs. She is a fussy feeder and only feeds for 5-10 mins at a time about every three hours, sometimes a bit longer say twentyinutes. She has one or two feeds at night and is exclusively breast fed. She refuses a bottle so can't top up with formula and would prefer not to give her any if I can help it. Just wondered if anyone else's LO was on a low centile like my LO and what happened when they were weaned? I don't know whether to be worried of not really!
NET

ICSI Feb 2011-:BFP: m/c
FET Aug11 & Nov 11 - cancelled pre ET
FET May 2012- :BFP:
DD born Feb 2013
FET Feb 2015 :BFP:
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Reg: May 30th 2010

Monday, May 13th 2013, 2:48pm

Hello,

My friend's babies are the same. They are just small. They stayed small after weaning too. I will double check with them and get back to you. She also had a lot of troubles with doctors (they wanted to her to wean early etc etc she had so much milk she donated to another baby so her little one was just not hungry) but their little girls (now 4 and 2 and a half) are absolutely gorgeous and healthy. I assume you or someone in either of your families is small / was small as a baby.

Trust your instincts you will know if there is a real problem but I understand the HV point of view as well she just has to make sure all is right you might be lucky and go to a great pedeatrician who puts your mind at easy I would go for the appointment just in case.

xx Rianon

Net

Monday, May 13th 2013, 4:43pm

Thanks Rianon. I am petite at 5 ft 3 and DH is average height so not expecting a giant baby! I will go to the appointment just to rule out any problems.
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, May 13th 2013, 10:30pm

Hi Net

Those weigh charts drive me nuts!! I feel your pain as both of my girls are on the dinky side.

My DD2 weighed the same as your DD at birth and was exclusively BF, she ended up on the 0.4th centile at 4 and 5 months old and has bobbed around the 2nd centile line ever since. I did start to wean her at 5 months and she did go up to the 2nd centile after a month and has kind of stayed around that centile ever since, she is now 2.

My DD1 was 5lb 13.5oz at birth, she weighed 9lb 7oz at 11 weeks and was also exclusively BF. She was also in the 0.4th centile until I started to wean her when she went up to the 2nd centile and has stayed there ever since, she is now 3 1/2.

I did get comments about both of them being so little but it did depend on who was doing the weighing, if it was one of the HV's or the more experienced people I was fine they would say they were doing great for a little one and what do you expect with a little mum. Other ones would do an 'oh dear she's very small' or 'we need to weigh her weekly'. I was really worried about it with DD1 more so because of the comments from other people, by the time DD2 came along I knew in our case I had nothing to worry about I just have petite girls like the rest of the women in the family.

The chances are your instincts are spot on and any paediatrician should be able to confirm that.

Good luck with your appointment, let me know how you get on.

xxx

2 registered users thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Net (14.05.2013), Bells (17.05.2013)

Net

Tuesday, May 14th 2013, 1:41am

Thanks Polly, that's so helpful. I must say I am rather sick of hearing 'oooh isn't she tiny', however well meaning people are! X
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Tuesday, May 14th 2013, 8:56pm

I went through a stage of wanting to spark people out that said that to me, gets a bit wearing doesn't it? I used to get random ladies come and say it when we were out and about, do you get it too?

Net

Tuesday, May 14th 2013, 10:27pm

Hi Polly, yes I so get that from total strangers. I grit my teeth a lot!

Got blind sided today by a phone call from community dietician. HV has referred me without telling me and they wanted a meting. Really upset me as I wasn't expecting the call. I asked exactly what they would recommend I do with an EBF baby that won't take a bottle! She mentioned fortifying my expressed breast milk ( again doesn't help as she won't take a bottle!) and weaning at four months which I was rather unimpressed by. Alfred to a follow up call on Tuesday after I gave her weighed again but so unimpressed at being referred without asking me. I know the HV has a duty of care but I would have like some warning. Rant over!
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Tuesday, May 14th 2013, 11:13pm

Oh no that must have been awful so out of the blue like that. I agree you should have been told she was referring you.

You know what, I do find it odd that a dietician can give recommendations about your baby without even meeting her. Those weight charts are a guideline, not all of us are going to fit in the slots they want us to all the time and each case should be assessed individually.

Btw my Nan who is 90 falls off the weight and height charts at about age 11 (all 4ft 8ins and 6st 3lb of her), she's fine but nowadays she's would have been sent to a paediatrician to 'see what's wrong' when the truth is she is just small.

Anyway, I hope tomorrow is a better day.

xxx

1 registered user thanked already.

Net (15.05.2013)

Net

Wednesday, May 15th 2013, 7:17am

Apologies for awful spelling in last post! On phone. Follow up call with dietician on Tuesday then they might want to see lia depending on what her weight has done. Just hoping she's still tracking the second centile. Thanks for your words, Polly, appreciated! X
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Wednesday, May 15th 2013, 8:58am

Hi Net

I'm sorry you have this worry. Personally, I do sometimes wonder about these HVs, they don't always seem to be very good at listening. My LO isn't as tiny as yours but she was 6lb12oz at birth (12oz bigger than her sister) and is now following the 25th line. She is now actually half a pound lighter than her big sister was at the exact same age (and it is exact as coincidence would have it).

I do think that we seem obsessed by size in this country, be it too big or too small. Surely if you are small and your DH is average then you aren't going to have a giant baby!

I hope you get some decent, useful advise from the dietician and that you're mind is put to rest. It's naughty that you weren't told your LO was being referred though.

Sorry, my post is probably no help at all but I just wanted to comment as reading stuff like this does make me a bit cross.

:goodluck:

xxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Net (15.05.2013)

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Sep 16th 2010

Children: One beautiful little girl

What's Up?
:)

Thursday, May 16th 2013, 7:08pm

Hi Net,
Afraid I cant give any advice other than what the other ladies have said. I had the opposite with my lo, she's was 6 weeks prem and born on the 50th centile and since about 8 weeks has been on the 91st. I had hv telling me I was over feeding her and had to get her weighed weekly for ages. She's now on the 98th line. Strangers would say wow she must love her food :box: all I can say is shes your baby and you know her best, if you think shes happy and healthy then take what the hv says with a pinch of salt. Let us know how your appointment goes xx
Lily born 30/04/12
6 weeks early via c section

MY DIARY

Net (16.05.2013)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, May 16th 2013, 10:06pm

Evening Net, I have a few bits of advice for you to think about; firstly have you thought about contacting one of the breast feeding organisations? La Leche League, the NCT of the Breastfeeding network are all organisations staffed by mums who have or are still breast feeding their children and are committed to keepin you breast feeding your little one. Their helpline numbers are at the top of this section. Also, do you have a breast feeding group locally? They are really helpful at helping you make sure you and your baby are feeding well, so a trip there might be worthwhile, if nothing else, you can sit and have a brew and show of your lovely baby to a ne set of appreciative eyes! Thirdly, there is no law that says your baby has to be weighed when your HV wants it done. If you think your baby is doing well, chances are she is. They are not going to get the police to drag you into the clinic. In your position, I'd be tempted to tell them to s*d off!

Net (17.05.2013)

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, May 16th 2013, 11:36pm

I agree with everyone.

I'm only 5'2" and my LO's dad is 6'3". Everyone said she was going to be huge. She arrived at 6lb 11oz on 25th centile. Then rapidly gained weight to the point she was almost on 98th. They thought I was feeding her up when she was on milk till 6 months. After I started BLW her weight started to even out and she's now back on 25th centile.

Everyone thinks they know best because they're a professional, well I'm sorry but a mum knows their child.

Go with your instincts and do what you feel is right.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Net (17.05.2013)

Net

Friday, May 17th 2013, 1:26am

Thanks everyone.

Mrsjasper I have been to local BF support group three times to check latch and get advice and they told me latch was fine and couldn't really offering advice re getting LO to feed for longer. No brew either due to 'health and safety reasons'. I lid you not. Me and the other sleep deprived mothers were wholly unimpressed with the orange squash rather than a shot of caffeine!
It was nice to talk to them though and I made a new friend there so definitely helpful.

I do think she's ok overall but would like her to feed more. Trying to figure out what makes her fussy as sometimes she feeds brilliantly and others its like a game of latch on, latch off. Drives me crazy!

Will get her weighed Monday to see how she's doing and take it from there. Thanks again everyone.

Xxx
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Gracie

What's Up?

Friday, May 17th 2013, 4:13pm

Poppy does the whole latch on/off thing and it's very annoying. I know she is a lot older so this probably doesn't apply but have you got the TV/music on when you are feeding? Poppy is really distracted by that all now and I have to make sure I am in a quite place. Just a thought though..........................

You just can't force feed them can you! If they don't want it then they don't want it!

What is possibly dangerous about a cup of coffee? Might you not know how to use the kettle or drink a hot drink safely? FFS! :faint: :snigger:

xx

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Net (17.05.2013)

Net

Friday, May 17th 2013, 4:53pm

Gracie it's a really good point, she is easily distracted and I make sure the tv volume is down low etc or BF from a quiet room, mind you she confuses me by continuing to feed when the dog is barking at the doorbell - ha ha!

You are right re what else can u do - I certainly can't force feed her. She has been good today with a 20, 40 and two ten minute feeds.

Ridiculous re the hot drinks I know. Even the BF counsellor was saying how silly it is. Council rules I think. Squash just doesn't hit the spot!
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, May 17th 2013, 5:46pm

Crikey!! We're continually being told that we have too many obese children and that breast is best yet a perfectly healthy baby who is being fed the most nutritious food available at exactly the amount that 'she', as an individual needs is treated like a sick infant and whizzed off to see dieticians and consultants.

Net, you sound like you're doing beautifully and your daughter sounds a normal, squirmy, easily distracted baby. She's is obviously eating what her body requires, you're not over filling her with strange and marvellous concoctions, nor are you bombarding her delicate gut with bulk building flavoured mush.

I'd tell them all to sod off too.

:o)

Net (17.05.2013)

Net

Friday, May 17th 2013, 6:02pm

Thanks Bells, you've made me smile, and usually this topic makes me cry so thank you! She is currently smiling madly at me whilst I sing to her and has been smiley and happy all day so again I think she's fine. Thanks everyone for your support. I honestly don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Xxxx [zx050]
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Gracie

What's Up?

Friday, May 17th 2013, 8:28pm

Love it Bells! You don't mince your words and how right you are too!

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, May 17th 2013, 10:35pm

What is possibly dangerous about a cup of coffee? Might you not know how to use the kettle or drink a hot drink safely? FFS! :faint: :snigger:

xx

Surely breastfed babies are meant to have hot drinks splashed on them? My youngest would always went feeding when I was eating so she would regularly be covered in my dinner, crumbs, noodles, bits of grated cheese allover her, mostly her ears!

2 registered users thanked already.

Polly Pocket (17.05.2013), Net (17.05.2013)

Net

Friday, May 17th 2013, 11:56pm

Ha ha, lia got a sweet chilli chicken sandwich over her head last week.....
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Net

Monday, May 20th 2013, 5:52pm

Had LO weighed today. Only 9.13lb, increase of 7oz in 20 days. She's dropped slightly below the second centile now. Absolutely no constructive advice given by the HV. Waiting for dietician to call me now tomorrow and will take it from there but I still think she's ok, just destined to be wee. I'm disappointed in the weight gain though as she's been feeding loads more in the last week. :S
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Monday, May 20th 2013, 10:00pm

She's still putting on weight which is great!! :thumbsup:

Having looked back at my DD1's weight charts her weight wasn't far off your DD's at the same age, she was 10lb and then put on 4oz in the next 2 weeks so her weight gain wasn't massive either. Both my girls weight gains really started to slow down by 15 weeks old and I'm sure one of the HV's told me that wasn't uncommon in BF babies.

Years ago in the 70's when my sister and I were born they didn't have weight charts they had a rough guideline which was double the birth weight by 6 months and triple it by 12 months. If you take that guide into account your DD is on track to have doubled her birth weight by the time she is 6 months old.

Good luck tomorrow I'll be thinking of you.

xxx

Net (21.05.2013)

Net

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 6:52am

The dietician didn't bother to call me when she said she would so I'm just going to continue on and not going to get her weighed too often as I think the charts are just confusing me. If she becomes fussy, has less wet nappies etc I'll take her to the GP but otherwise I am going to take the wonderful advice I have had here, tell 'em all to s*d off snd get on with enjoying my daughter rather than being paranoid about something that is 99% not a problem!

Polly thanks for that info, I find it really reassuring to know I'm not alone on this 'issue'

Xxxx
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 2:08pm

Why do people always do that when you are geared up for a phone call, typical huh?

When I had DD2 I didn't get her weighed very often because of the big deal some people made over DD1's size, weight and weight gains. I've just had a look in their red books, DD1 was weighed 16 times by the time she was 6 months old and DD2 was weighed 8 times during the first 6 months. In our case it made no difference to DD2's weight gains or health just my sanity, I felt I was able to get on an be a mum without obsessing about how much weight she'd put on.

:cheers2: here's to you not worrying about it as much and enjoying being a mum that little bit more!

xxx

Net (22.05.2013)

Gracie

What's Up?

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 2:32pm

Good for you Net!

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Net (22.05.2013)

Net

Wednesday, May 22nd 2013, 3:13pm

Thanks guys. Polly she's been weighed ten times already! Not going to bother now for a month and take it from there.

Xxx
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Reg: May 30th 2010

Saturday, May 25th 2013, 5:38pm

Hi Net,

My friend got back to me and here are the details. She’s got two lovely little girls, who are really bright, clever great in physical activities etc etc (In my personal opinion their use of language and maths is absoluely amazing and they have always been very advanced but their parents are really clever as well) The older is 4 years old, the younger is two and a half.

Weights:
DD-1: born 3.33 kg / 7 5
4 months 5.3 kg / 11 11
5 month 5.4 kg / 11 14
12 month 7.4 kg / 16 4
4 years 12.5 kg / 27 8
BF till 9 month weaning from 5 month
doesn’t take formula

DD-2 born 2.82 kg 6 3
4month 5 kg / 11
6 month 5.6 kg / 12 5
2.5 year 10 kg / 22
BF till 15 month didn’t like weaning that much from 5 month

DD-1 was breastfed till 9 month old, weaning started at 5 month old with fruits. Doctors wanted my friend to use formula and start weaning early. She tried both but her DD-1 would not take formula. She quite liked the fruits though but as you can see it did not do much difference to her weight. She never had much to eat and not for the lack of breastmilk as her mum was donating milk as well.

Their DD-2 was already born little so at least didn't go back that much :-) She was breastfed till 15 months and weaning also started at 5 months old, which she didn’t take too well. Nowadays she likes her food a lot more then her sister but regardless their weights are very similar.

And anyway their dad has always been the same: a really great guy but quite skinny :-)

Hope this helped a bit, you are not alone :-)

And like Kat said comments from other people can be quite frustrating if anyone else tells me that my DD must love her food, well I...

xx Rianon

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "rianon" (May 25th 2013, 5:40pm)

Net (25.05.2013)

Net

Saturday, May 25th 2013, 6:18pm

Rianon thank you so much that's so kind if you. DD is feeding well today, she has good and bad days as she's teething at the moment. Dietician still hasn't rung so going to weigh her in a few weeks. She's definitely growing as she's grown out of some if her baby gros in the last week.

Thanks again xx
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Net

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 4:17pm

The saga continues! Dietician called today and offered me an appointment for august! How that is helpful for a baby with slow weight gain now I've no idea......
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 6:52pm

Oh for goodness sake what are they playing at I hope you told them where to stick it, I would have said if they were that concerned they should see you now, like you need that hanging over you for months .

How is dd?

X
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Net (28.05.2013)

Net

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 8:00pm

Thanks Sasha. My thoughts exactly! DD is really good thanks. Her head control has suddenly got really good and she's smiling loads and has really found her voice.

Her feeding is still not great though, yesterday was terrible, today a bit better. Just cannot get her to feed for longer than ten minutes but its usually five.
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 8:39pm

She obviously just takes what she needs and sounds like she is coming along great, this will all be a distant memory soon and you will have moved onto something else to worry about, who said the worrying stopped when they arrived, it was just the start :)

X
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Net (29.05.2013)

United Kingdom

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 9:35pm

It doesn't sound like the dietitian is that worried then or you'd have an earlier appointment.

If you think about it by the time you see the dietitian you'll either be weaning your DD or very close to it.

Like Sasha says, your DD is taking what she needs when she feeds. My DD1 used to faff around when being BF, she'd take her time but always seem to be on me. DD2 used to be a quick feeder, she'd have her milk and go back to sucking her fingers and watching what her big sister was up to. Both my girls had similar weigh gain, the time spent on feeds didn't make any difference.

Net (29.05.2013)

Net

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 2:37am

Thanks Sasha and Polly. I know I probably am over worrying but Sasha you are so right the worrying never stops!

LO just gone 6 hours at night, longest ever in her first night in her cot. I think she was ready to move from her Moses basket!
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 1:26pm

Oh lovely!! Did you sleep the whole 6 hours or did you wake up expecting her to wake up?

Net

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 6:23pm

I woke up after four unfortunately! Typical huh.
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 9:38pm

I used to do that too! Annoying isn't it?

Net

Saturday, June 8th 2013, 10:22pm

Hi all, just to let you know we took DD to see a paediatrician today just to rule out any problems. He was really happy with her, clean bill of health and a letter to the HVs so they leave me alone! If she drops to the 0.4th centile he'll do some base line blood tests but he wasn't at all concerned with her. Very happy mummy! I knew deep down that was the case but just wanted the reassurance. Also, she rolled from her back to her front today, go Lia!

Thanks again all for your support xxx
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Saturday, June 8th 2013, 10:52pm

That is fantastic!! :thumbsup: I am so pleased you've had your instincts confirmed and its great you've got a letter to show any HV if they start hassling again.

Well done for rolling Lia, clever little lady!!! : D

xxx

Net (09.06.2013)

Net

Tuesday, June 11th 2013, 12:01pm

So I go to clinic to have LO weighed today following paediatrician's all clear on Saturday. Tell HV I took her to paediatrician. She says 'why' ......... I nearly screamed 'because your colleagues keep telling me she's too small'!!! First HV I have met who has a pragmatic approach, I told her the conflicting advice given is very unhelpful and left it at that but honestly I didn't know whether to cry or laugh. In good news though she's now 10.6lb and tracking second centile nicely. Rant over!
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 11th 2013, 9:04pm

Where has she been for the past 4 months?

When I went in ready for a fight with them I always got one that thought my DD was doing great, it's sods law.

Well done on the weight gain Lia! :thumbsup:

Net (12.06.2013)

Net

Wednesday, April 23rd 2014, 2:39pm

Just wanted to update this thread, might be helpful for others going through similar.

So DD is now almost 15months and still absolutely tiny. She currently weighs about 7.3kg or 16lb 1lb. She's had 2 major stomach bugs this month and has lost over half a pound and is heading back to the dreaded 0.4th centile.

Does anyone have any good tips for putting weight on a toddler? I've been trying to give her healthy proteins and fats if I can but am tempted to stuff a load of easter chocolate down her soon in desperation! She's not really had chocolate before, cheese is her food of choice so I sprinkle that liberally on pretty much everything she eats.... any other ideas?
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, April 26th 2014, 2:07pm

Erm, pasta, chicken, red meat, veg, cheese, bread, pretty much what you're doing now I think!

It may be that she's just going to be little!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests