You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "WESTMIDSGIRL" started this thread

Reg: Aug 16th 2012

Children: We have a beautiful little girl and a boy now expecting another little one

Monday, May 20th 2013, 10:34am

Any info/advice on breastfeeding?

Hi ladies, I am currently almost 32 weeks pregnant and when little one is here I really want to try breastfeeding... I have heard a few mixed reviews on many things to do with breast feeding and just wanted people's opinions really. A few people have said the first few weeks of breastfeeding are excruciating and reduced them to tears and they have had bleeding nipples but others have said it does not hurt can be a bit uncomfortable at first though but the only way it hurts is if baby is positioned wrong??? Also what are people's thoughts on nipple cream? Just wanted to get a wider view of opinions of people so would be very grateful of all opinions/views good or bad.

Thanks ladies xx
1 DD born Oct 07 8lb 5 oz***** 3 Miscarriages at 15, 14 and 5 weeks****1 DS born july 13 8lb 9oz***1DD born Aug 14 7lb 11oz!

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Monday, May 20th 2013, 12:33pm

Hi WMG

I exclusively BF my LO. I won't lie, it was very painful at first but I did have the latch a bit wrong and soon sorted that after going to breastfeeding clinic and from then it didn't hurt at all. It's a great bonding time with LO but it is very full on and obviously your DH can't help with feeding. I was convinced I'd stop at 6 weeks at first as I found it so hard and i was so tired as she fed every 1 to 2 hours but it got easier and easier and here I am 14 weeks in. I have nothing against bottle feeding and would have done combination if my LO would take a bottle but she just won't!! There is a lit of pressure to BF but I think you just have up do what's right for you. However I am really glad I persevered!

I highly recommend Lanishoh nipple cream it was my saviour! It's expensive but do worth it and you don't have to wipe it off before feeding.

Whatever you decide good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and the birth!

Xxx
NET

ICSI Feb 2011-:BFP: m/c
FET Aug11 & Nov 11 - cancelled pre ET
FET May 2012- :BFP:
DD born Feb 2013
FET Feb 2015 :BFP:
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Monday, May 20th 2013, 1:26pm

It is great you are going to give it a go, but my advice would be to not be hard on yourself and be flexible, going ultimately with what works best for your baby and you - whatever that may be. Everyone's experiences will be different for many reasons.

Personally, everyone I know who has breastfeed has found it bloody sore in the beginning. Your boobs are not used to that level of sucking - how can it not be sore for a bit! I found the first 2-3 weeks the worst. I was getting to the stage that I was dreading feeding her as it was so sore, but I persevered and honestly one day the pain just miraculously went away and from then on it was only a complete and utter joy. I loved feeding my daughter and I did so until 10/11 months when she naturally drew herself away from it and I pushed it a little quicker as we wanted to pursue more IVF.

I planned to feed from boob and expressed milk from a bottle, but my LO wouldn't take a bottle until 5 months! It does restrict you in terms of baby needing you all the time, but I found once we moved to bottles it was such a faff! So easy to just whip your boob out! Also, with breastfeeding I don't think they get into a feeding routine so quickly, bottle fed babies seem to fall into a routine much quicker because you know what they are getting. My bottle feeding friends always knew when their baby needed fed from early on, but i found this harder to judge - possibly that was just my little girl. You can't refuse a feed as you don't know how much they previously took, so somedays I did feel that all I was doing was feeding! But I loved it and wouldn't change it for the world.

If you find the whole expressing and feeding too stressful, then just try a little formula instead for those feeds - do what you need to do to manage and have a happy, contented experience with your baby as it really does go so quickly!

Lanhisol is fantastic. Start using it now everyday before you have your baby. A friend of mine did that with her second and said it was so much better. I'm going to try that this time. Buy a few tubes and keep upstairs, downstairs and in your bag, so you always have some on you.

I found the u shaped pillows fantastic for feeding and sometimes also I'd lie down with LO next to me and have a little snooze as she fed!

Good luck! Xxx

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Monday, May 20th 2013, 3:05pm

Hello WMG!

It's great you'd like to give breastfeeding a go. You've had great advice already from the other girls. Don't put pressure on yourself, as it doesn't always work out, but do give it a whirl and see how it goes for you and baby.

It's true, many mums find breastfeeding difficult and painful in the beginning. I certainly did. I knew this was a phase lots of people go through so I wasn't tempted to give up, but it was not easy. I had a few teary phonecalls to a breastfeeding counsellor! Sometimes BFing just doesn't work out but it's good to remember that all being well the hard times do usually pass and you and baby can then enjoy lots of easy, cuddly, booby times together. It's very freeing to know that as long as baby is with you they will not go hungry. All you ever need to take anywhere is nappy change stuff and a muslin or two. Of course it does mean that baby is very dependent on you, especially if he or she is not keen on bottles (our DS refused bottles until he was 10 months!) but babies are only so dependent for a relatively short time - like Amazing Grace said, it goes so quickly!

My top tips for the early days:

- get support from a breastfeeding clinic to check baby is latching on well. there's loads of stuff on YouTube too if you live too far from a BF clinic
- make sure you sit comfortably with support for your back and your arms from lots of pillows/cushions
- lansinoh!!!! (doubles as a great lipsalve and handcream too)
- keep a 'boob kit' everywhere you a likely to breastfeed - e.g. beside your bed, in the sitting room and in the pram bag for going out - so you don't have to dash about the house getting everything you need all the time. My 'boob kits' comprised lansinoh, a couple of muslins, packet of tissues and a big bottle of water
- eat well and drink lots of water! you will need extra fuel to help your body produce the milk and to help counteract the tiredness from disturbed nights
- if you have any trouble with hard, sore boobs, or blocked ducts, a hot shower while massaging boobs towards the nipple works wonders for reliveing discomfort and preventing mastitis
- if things are going well, prepare yourself with some lovely big scarves / wraps for feeding out and about - it helps to keep things discreet (if that's what you want!) and also can help prevent an older baby getting distracted by the big wide world while they are meant to be topping up on the white stuff.
- if you're nervous about BFing in public for the first time, go somewhere where there will be lots of young families, like a museum or park and you'll soon realise most people don't take a blind bit of notice.

GOOD LUCK!

Bee x
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Monday, May 20th 2013, 3:38pm

Hiya

I think you really have to do what you think is right for you and like the other ladies have said don't feel any pressure.

Here's my story and I hope I don't offend anybody, I was determined to bf, I was so sure it was going to happen but it didn't, now don't get me wrong I didn't give it much of a chance and here's why, when my ds was born an emergency came in so we were left without a mw for about 30 min so I thought I may as well try and bf, to my delight my ds seemed to take to it so quickly and fed for about 20 min, when he stopped I had a whopping bruise from my nipple right up my boob, I wasn't in any pain thankfully, when the mw came back she said she wanted to see ds feeding and when I told her I had she saw my boob and just said oh dear your brusing already, to this day I still don't no what she ment, anyway I tried to feed again and my ds was having none of it, my dh then turned and said to me, i'm glad he doesn't want your boob that means I get to help feed him, he might be the only baby we get and I want to be able to give him a bottle, this made me laugh but also made me realise I hadn't even thought about asking him what he thought I should do, so my ds has been ff ever since and I have no regrets, my ds was a hungry baby so I doubt I would have kept up with him anyway and maybe that's why I had a bruise.
Now call me a bad mother but I enjoyed that others could help me and I could have a bit of me time every now and again without worrying about feeding my ds, completely selfish on my part but I think the me time I did get saved me from any form of depression.

Good luck whatever route you take and with the rest of your pregnancy

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Monday, May 20th 2013, 3:53pm

Hi

I am not sure I can add anything to this really as the girls have given you great advice.

I fed my first daughter for 18 months and am 7 months in with Poppy. I was never really sore, although first time roud I did use plenty of lanisoh (yes, it's a tenner but don't buy cheap stuff) and I think this time my boobs are just hardened up to it as they didn't get much time off before I had Poppy.

I can also recommend Lilypadz. They are silicone breast pads that stick over your nipple and work using pressure to stop you leaking. They are also expensive (£15.00 in Boots) so I wouldn't go rushing out to by a set until you are sure your going to BF. If you look after them they last many weeks and you don't end up with a soggy mess in your bra like you do with the disposal ones. Oh, don't buy any nursing bras until your milk has come in otherwise you may well end up with the wrong size, I learned this one the hard way! Make sure you get fitted properly too.

Also a BFing apron might be useful to start with, I used one until I was confident about feeding in public. I never bought fancy clothes though and found just a strappy vest under my top worked just fine.

There, a few practical comments from me!! Goodluck with it all.

xxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Children: We have a beautiful little girl and a boy now expecting another little one

Monday, May 20th 2013, 6:34pm

Wow some great advice from you all thank u. Did anybody express too? If so when did you start to express? X
1 DD born Oct 07 8lb 5 oz***** 3 Miscarriages at 15, 14 and 5 weeks****1 DS born july 13 8lb 9oz***1DD born Aug 14 7lb 11oz!

Net

Monday, May 20th 2013, 6:49pm

Hi WMG

yes I did express from about week 1 but my LO has always refused a bottle so it's all stored in the freezer. I think I'll use it when I start to wean her. It took me ages to get the hang of expressing, at first I could only get a few drops out but I can now get about 4oz from each boob, sometimes more, sometimes less. When LO when on a bit of a hunger strike when she was ill I expressed to keep my supply up. I use a manual tommee tippee pump but I really think what works for one won't work for another as my friend gave it to me as she hated it but I get on fine with it.

All the best
Net xx
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Monday, May 20th 2013, 8:47pm

interesting so how long can u keep the milk frozen for? and do u just take it out to defrost? sorry for all these questions but need to know these things lol x

Net

Monday, May 20th 2013, 9:26pm

It keeps for six months in the freezer. You defrost it in the fridge I think.
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

Monday, May 20th 2013, 9:31pm

Ahhhhh well that's great and good to know thanks for the info! X

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Monday, May 20th 2013, 9:53pm

Hi WMG, not long for you now, so exciting!! :)

I bfed dd1 for 14 months, she weaned herself off as got a horrid bug, and am 7 months in with dd2. I absolutely love it, it is such a special time. My ff friends say I don't know how you can do it etc but I'm the other way, I think I'd be rubbish at ff, being organised with all the sterilising etc, we are already late for nearly everything atm :) I love that it's just there, all ready, call me lazy...! :)

It does take, or did me, a good few weeks to master the latch and get your boobs to settle down, all worth it in the end though.

Friends say now, why don't you ff or combine feed, she'd sleep through then etc, but I would much prefer to bf and have broken nights sleep, it won't be forever.

You have had some great tips here. I definitely swear by Lansinoh too. I was quite sore for a few weeks, and got mastitis early on their time and was so sad at the thought of having to stop but persevered and all was fine, I recommend Savoy cabbage leaves in the fridge if you get it.

I expressed a bit from about 5 months with dd1, thinking DH would want to share feeding her, but he only did a couple of bottles so wasn't worth it, haven't done it at all this time.

I didn't do the fancy clothes either, so expensive, especially from mothercare, vest tops under things are great.

I don't judge others at all but for me personally I just love bf.

Good luck :) xxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN :-(
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN :bawl:
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Kitty

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Tuesday, May 21st 2013, 1:25pm

The others have given some fabulous advice. I only have a couple of things to add.

Firstly, if you are really keen then it's very important that you get your DH on board - or, in fact, find out exactly how he feels about it and, if he has any doubts talk about them sensibly and see whether you think they can be overcome or if you feel he has made a good point which changes how you feel about it. FInd out if you can go to an ante-natal breastfeeding training session with your DH so he can learn about it too.

It is very important, with BFing, that your DH supports you fully. There is nothing worse, in the middle of the night with a screaming newborn, when you are both exhausted and the baby won't feed, if the person you are with says "let's just give him/her a bottle" - it will completely undermine you. Of course, it doesn't matter too much if it only happens once but if it happens once it's likely to happen again, and again, and again.

And, of course, there might come a point when you do decide you can't carry on trying, if you are very tired and it doesn't seem to be working and if that happens that's absolutely fine and nothing to beat yourself up about but you want it to be your decision, and not to look back on it later and feel you were railroaded into it because you didn't have enough support around you.

It's also good to find out the contact details for any local breastfeeding support groups now, before you need them. You might be able to go along beforehand to meet the mums and have a chat with them; that's likely to be helpful too.

Finally, when you sit down to BF, always always always make sure you can reach the TV remote!

Good luck!

Tuesday, May 21st 2013, 1:49pm

Some great advice ladies thank u.

Kitty had to lol at your tv remote comment. Hubby is very supportive of me breastfeeding afterglow means he doesn't have to get up to do night feeds! Lol! No but seriously I'm glad he does support my decision as I have had a few friends saying people do love to tut at you and say its disgusting etc... Don't think hubby would take that... I'm a bit more reserved would prob just go home and cry lol.

Dusky I don't think I will do the fancy clothes bit either but will defo be looking into getting a shawl or something don't think I would feel comfortable just whopping it out in front of everyone lol not that it bothers me when others do just I would feel a little self conscious x

Net

Tuesday, May 21st 2013, 1:58pm

Love the remote control comment. Oh so true! Someone gave me their bebe au lait shawl which is great but not sure I would have paid for one as very expensive
NET

DD born Feb 2013
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Tuesday, May 21st 2013, 2:13pm

I BF both of my daughters, I like Gracie never had any problems with soreness and like Dusky I am far too disorganised to be sterilising bottles its been far easier for me to whip a boob out!

Bells wrote a post of what to expect when BF and I found it a fantastic help nearly 4 years ago when DD1 was born. Breastfeeding Basics - What to Expect

My other advice would be have somewhere comfortable to sit with cushions and somewhere to place a drink in reach, BF is thirsty work!

xxx

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Tuesday, May 21st 2013, 7:31pm

Hehe, so true about the TV remote! The same goes for your mobile/laptop/iPad! You can guarantee the phone will ring just as you settle down to feed, it often gets ignored in my house.

I got a great BFing apron on EBay for under a tenner, someone doing a bit of industrious home sewing! Once you are confident you won't care one jot about feeding in public. People don't notice, they are too wrapped up in their own lives.

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Curlytails

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:baby:

Tuesday, May 21st 2013, 8:15pm

Firstly, if you are really keen then it's very important that you get your DH on board - or, in fact, find out exactly how he feels about it and, if he has any doubts talk about them sensibly and see whether you think they can be overcome or if you feel he has made a good point which changes how you feel about it. FInd out if you can go to an ante-natal breastfeeding training session with your DH so he can learn about it too.

Fantastic advice. I took DH to a breastfeeding class beforehand and he was much more supportive as a result. Also once bubs is here see if you can find a local breastfeeding support group. it is a great place to make friends with new Mums and a good practice group for feeding in public. Another bonus is they tend to give free hot drinks and cakes 9in my area anyway).

I was also one of the lucky ones who had no pain at all. I did suffer mastitis twice but was able to feed through it. I fed my DS up until he was one with no problems. For me it was quick and easy but I appreciate it isn't for everyone.

Good Luck x

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Thursday, May 23rd 2013, 9:11pm

hi westmids girl.

i have done both. my first 2 boys were formula fed all the way. i was 20 yrs old on my first and the thought of a baby hanging off me 24/7 at 20 absolutely horrified me! my 2nd came at 23 and again horror at the thought of BFing. my 3rd, at age 35 and taken 4 yrs to achieve, my outlook started to change. a friend of mine who had breastfed also helped. he only manged to BF for 6 weeks though as my DH didnt listen to the advice given by my friend and m/w and h/v. the advice he was given is every time baby is feeding, provide your wife with a bottle of water and a sandwich. feeding is tough on the body. he didnt keep me topped up a with food and liquid and within 6 weeks, the milk was gone. some regrets and resentment, even now. Lanisoh is brilliant stuff. i had 5 tubes of the stuff, upstairs, downstairs, in the car (i dont do bags) at my mums and round my friends house.

my last baby fed for exactly 6 months. he gave the boob up himself at 6 months. with him, i was fed, and watered regularly. the first feed in mothercare was horrific as it was a little cubicle and everyone knew what i was doing. by the end of 6 months, i was lopping my boobs out at mother and toddler groups (no muslins, shawls, nothing) in town cafes and one time, when we had a local fair come to town, walking round the streets with my BIL and older son, taking him on the rides.

im trying to tell you, that although the first couple of times in public are quite uncomfortable, you do get to the point where you really dont give a monkeys stuff about what other people are thinking. at the end of the day, you learn how to whip boob out, nipple in mouth an a mtter of seconds, no-one sees anything as babies head obscures the view anyway. i've had people come up to me and start going on about how gorgeous he is, all the while stroking his head and its taken them a good couple of minutes to work out whats going on.

it is a fabulous experience, tiring and hard work but fabulous all the same. so is bottle feeding. when i fed the oldest, i always made sure i had him close to my breast and being cuddled, so the eye contact and closeness was still there. i dont like wathing mums that feed their babies in a bouncy chair or prop their bottles up in a buggy - (that is dangerous) simply for the fact mum and baby miss out on cuddles and the feelgood feeling.

the last thing i did, which im not recommending given latest cot death guidelines, is have all my babies in bed with me from birth. the breastfed baby learnt really quickly to tilt his head and find the nipple. i'd help him latch on sleepily and go back to sleep. with him, i got a lot more sleep, simply because he could 'help himself'. even though he fed every 1.5 hrs from birth right to the 6 month mark, when he refused the boob completely. i wasnt disturbed very much at all.

if you can do it - do it. if you find you cant - dont beat yourself up about it. your most important thing to bear in my mind is - are you and your baby happy and contented with whichever option you choose. as long as you have a happy, contented baby, then you're not going far wrong!

best of luck

jade xxx :thumbup:
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Friday, May 31st 2013, 11:44am

Thank you everyone for the great advice will defo take on board x

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Friday, May 31st 2013, 1:19pm

I BF both of my children, the first for 6 weeks and the second for 4 months. Its seems that many ppl manage a few weeks or until the baby weans themselves off. First time round I struggled and I found that I didn't enjoy the early weeks as much as I should have. With hindsight I should have seeked more help and support. I felt drained and decided to swith to formula, and it was like a weight had been lifted! When DD came along I decided to feed her for 2 weeks while DH was off work and then get her on to formula as I knew from experinece that FF babies seem to develop a routine sooner and go longer between feeds. I think by being more relaxed and just aiming for the 2 weeks actually made it easier as I din't put anty pressure on myself. I stopped at 4 months because I was struggling and I choose not to battle through it but congratulate myself for doing 4 months and move on! I went to BF workshops at the hospital and NCT and something none of them covered is stopping BF, its assumed it will be all or nothing. I remember not having a clue what to do with formula as well as having to cope with the emotions of stopping.
My DH would change and wind the DD after her night feeds just to give me a few more minutes sleep! :)
Lansinoh is great, but I lost my tube and told the HV I was putting off buying anymore as it was expensive and she got the doctor to write me a prescription! :thumbsup:

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)