You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "WESTMIDSGIRL" started this thread

Reg: Aug 16th 2012

Children: We have a beautiful little girl and a boy now expecting another little one

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 8:58am

constantly sick breastfed baby at every feed!!

hi ladies

well i have a nearly 7week old son and he is exclusively breastfed its all going good and.he has a good latch and is piling on the weight (on 91st centile). Here is my concern, he is sick after every feed! it seems like the whole feed but i know it cant be as he is putting weight on! sometimes it is projectile.and flies out of his mouth! theres always so much of it i am constantly having to change him as he is always sick on.himself or keeps havin poops that go up his back etc. he always cries an screams just before the sick comes up like its hurting him! the health visitor said to me i have a fast let down an suggested a few things (leaning back when feeding, winding him in the middle and after feed and keeping him upright for half hour after each feed) ive tried all this and none.of it seems to work not to mention the thing about winding half way through well we can virtually never get a burp out of him halfway through an when we do at the end.of the feed he just sicks it all back up again. Any ideas on what this is or any other tips on how.to try to.stop.it? i will take him to see docs this week but just wanted to know what the general opinion was?
1 DD born Oct 07 8lb 5 oz***** 3 Miscarriages at 15, 14 and 5 weeks****1 DS born july 13 8lb 9oz***1DD born Aug 14 7lb 11oz!

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 9:29am

Sounds like reflux to me, with the pain being the acid maybe? Definitely worth a trip to the GP I think. Both my nephews had this, they grew out if it at 6 months for one and 12 months the other. There's different medications you can try like baby gaviscon or ranitidine if it is reflux. I found a website called Little Refluxers quite helpful.

X
NET

ICSI Feb 2011-:BFP: m/c
FET Aug11 & Nov 11 - cancelled pre ET
FET May 2012- :BFP:
DD born Feb 2013
FET Feb 2015 :BFP:
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

louise78

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 18th 2009

Children: One beautiful, healthy son. Identical twin boys born too soon, sleep tightxxx

What's Up?
One very happy lady :) xx

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 9:33am

I agree with net, sounds like reflux. Hope the doctor can give you something to help the little man xx
6x cycles of clomid bfn
2X iui bfn
1x ivf - identical triplets - miscarried triplet at 9 weeks, lost my other two beautiful boys at 23 weeks - passed away shortly after birth 17th June 2010.
4x FET 1 early loss
1 natural early loss.
2011 Nov immune cycle FET bfn
2012 Jan immune cycle ivf bfp baby7 Ds arrived safely 1/10/12 : D
2013 Aug immune cycle FET bfp confirmed miscarriage at 8 weeks
2014 Jan immune cycle bfn
2014 April immune cycle bfn.
2014 July fet bfp ❤️ seen at 7,9 and 11 weeks

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 10:28am

I was going to suggest a trip to the GP too. As he's breastfed the only medications available really are Domperidone and Ranitidine. If you were expressing and then bottle feeding, you could try Infant Gaviscon. I know that some GPs are reluctant to prescribe D and R and wonder if they might just say you will have to put up with it because he is still gaining weight nicely. I think they are more concerned about weight gain than the sickness and discomfort.....unfortunately!
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

United Kingdom

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 10:28am

.....actually I lied there is another medication that you give once per day but it is for severely effected children, usually that aren't gaining weight!
3 X ICSI

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 11:55am

Sounds like reflux. My little boy was prescribed gaviscon which I give from a syringe. He was gaining weight well. That and gripe water have really helped. Def take a trip to the GP. Xx

Children: We have a beautiful little girl and a boy now expecting another little one

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 1:22pm

ok thanks everyone! hopefully doc will give him something! x
1 DD born Oct 07 8lb 5 oz***** 3 Miscarriages at 15, 14 and 5 weeks****1 DS born july 13 8lb 9oz***1DD born Aug 14 7lb 11oz!

United Kingdom

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 3:33pm

Of course, I forgot about mixing Gaviscon with water!!!!
3 X ICSI

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 5:45pm

Agree that it sounds like he has reflux.

As for the poo up the back, I had that a lot with C and in his case it was a combination of colic (which would also cause him to cry) and fast let-down. I was told that fast let-down means that he gets a lot of fore-milk which contains quite a lot of "sugar" and contributes to the colic too.
Colic could potentially also make the reflux worse as the build-up of pressure in his belly means pressure on his stomach and he would be more inclined to need to get rid of the excess pressure by sicking up till his belly is less "full"
It really is a vicious circle but hopefully with time his body will learn to deal better with the volumes he is getting and the colic will clear.

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 6:11pm

It sounds like you've got a great let down reflex, your milk quantity and quality sound wonderful and your baby is feeding very well and enjoying sucking.

I wonder if he's simply getting rather too much of the good stuff and gulping down some air along with it. If he's gulping air at the beginning of a feed he's bound to bring up milk at the end and if he's taking on too much for his belly then it's got to come out the top end eventually. Even if he's managing to keep it down he's going to produce a massive poo if he's taking a massive feed.

I had a baby that did the same and I found that it helped to wait until the first gushes of milk had stopped, take her off, give her a double burp (I really had to work for it but it came eventually once I'd found the best position) and then put her back on for the rest of the feed. I used to then take her off when I thought she'd had enough, otherwise she would suck and suck, sit up and puke it all back up.... and if she didn't puke it up I was washing poo out of her hair and throwing her vests in the bin.

Rachael*

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 22nd 2010

Children: Two boys & One girl :)

What's Up?
Keep growing little baby :pray:
Mummy & Daddy love you xx

Monday, September 2nd 2013, 8:22pm

Hi my Ella was exactly the same as your baby, she was BF until she 13 months old..
I was told to change what i ate, as what ever you eat will & can effect how baby is.. Try it for a few days & see if anything changes. It worked for me Ella was hardly sick at all, after i stopped eating cheese & spicy food.
Well done for EBF, really miss not BF now xx
starsmile Rachael's Diary

FET August 2014 = :BFP: bab10

Tuesday, September 3rd 2013, 3:16pm

hey rachael i dont think it could be what im eating as i eat a pretty balanced diet and also stopped eating spicy foods for that exact reason he did have some serious explosions in the nappy when i ate spicey thongs ha ha.

bells my mom said the same thing to me about him getting too much but the midwives said to me in the beginning u cabt overfeed a breastfed baby??? but i do think u are right about the gulping and the air because he does struggle to keep up with the flow i think.

rene yes a breastfeeding support worker said the same thing to me about the sugary milk

thanks for the advice everyone he has a docs appointment for friday (after much hassle on the phone because he isnt registered there yet) so will see what doc has to say x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 3rd 2013, 8:45pm

the midwives said to me in the beginning u cabt overfeed a breastfed baby???

Technically they're right. You can give a bottlefed baby a milk with a different ratio of protein and casein which would build more bulk than the equivalent amount of breastmilk. You cannot 'overfeed' a breastfed baby but that baby can take too much milk each feed. It would be better to say that a if you overfeed a breastfed baby then it's unlikely to become obese.

Issy2013

Reg: Aug 21st 2013

Wednesday, September 4th 2013, 9:48am

sounds like reflux to me. Get to GP and ask to try gaviscon. If that does not help then ask for ranitidine and domperidone although they may need to refer you to a gastro paed for this.

Also try cutting out cows milk from your diet as he may be CMPI.

Do NOT just leave it and let docs fob you off. My son ended up with a NG tube and now a G tube due to serious food aversion and FTT caused by reflux.
IVF 1 - BFN but loss at 6 weeks

IVF 2- 4 BFN

IVF 5 - BFP - darling son now aged 2

Sunday, September 8th 2013, 2:44pm

been to docs he said it is reflux and prescribed some gaviscon for him x