You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Chilli

Megastar

• "Chilli" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Friday, September 22nd 2006, 9:58pm

6 months weaning : bottle or cup?

just out of interest, do or have any of you introduced a cup at this age?

Friday, September 22nd 2006, 10:04pm

Yes - I introduced a 'doidy' cup with DD very early on as she wouldn't take a bottle (in the hope I could then give her EBM and go out on the razzle dazzle!) - I can't remember exactly how old she was but I think it was around 3/4 months. She loved using it but didn't actually drink a lot :rolleyes: Nowadays we use a cup with a spout (NOT a valved cup though) for water after meals, we still don't use a bottle at all and at this stage I've now given up completely on trying to get her to use one.

pirhanachomp

Unregistered

Saturday, September 23rd 2006, 12:39am

Alex started off with some bottles I bought from George as he didn't like the avent ones i originally bought him as the teats were too hard, and these bottles came with handles and a flat kinda teat, in the shape of a spout, which he changed to at about 4 months when he started holiding the bottle himself!! :D

I had to make the holes bigger mind else he wouldn't drink out of them!!

By 6/7 months I had bought some of the Tommee tippee style beaker things with the non-spill spout, I had to cut the non-spill mechanism out mind, or he would have a paddy and throw it up the room and refuse to drink from it :rolleyes:

He can drink out of the normal beakers now, the ones without any kind of non-spill stuff in, I dont know what they are called, but most places have the same beakers but with diff pictures and colours, i'm sure you know the ones I'm on about, but they worry me as the lids come off dead easily!!

He's been very good with swapping to beakers actually. He HATED the tommy tippy Nuby ones as he couldn't grasp the idea of having to chew and suck, I actually had a go on one and it was really quite hard to get anything out!! :O

If it wont pretty much poor out then he's not interested!! he's always been a lazy sucker though since birth, i think thats partly the reason why i couldn't BF!!

Jessica x x

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Saturday, September 23rd 2006, 9:02am

I've just bought 2 Tommee Tippee cups as they were recc by the HV as they say not to use bottles after 6 months because of the risk of dental decay/

The cups are none valve ones so when N chucks it about water does come out but it is only water. He has grabbed hold of the handles & shoved the spout towards his mouth but still hates water so I'm just going to persevere with it. Once he will take water I will try & feed him milk from the cup as well. The cup has a lid with a hole in it (like a take away coffee cup) so it will introduce him to a normal cup or glass without him soaking everything around him!

I've a friend who uses the Doidy cup which look good & her LO takes breast milk from it quite easily too.

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Saturday, September 23rd 2006, 9:06am

I bought an Avent cup in Tesco last night (£2.99) and it says from 3m+ - it has a non spill spout and a lid which goes on top - haven't tried it yet but thinking of giving it a go today :D

Elaine
x
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, September 23rd 2006, 10:37am

Lolly still won't use a cup for milk, but she has a fisher price one for her water. She also has an Avent magic cup that we attempt to give her milk in evry other day but it ends up going into a bottle. I know I'm going to get told off as she should be using a cup by now but as far as I'm concerned we have enough of a battle getting her to drink milk as it is without adding to the list!! :rolleyes:

Actually, I have 1 pink and one purple tommee tippee cups if anyone wants them. They are 6 months plus and only one has been filled with milk a couple of times!

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Saturday, September 23rd 2006, 12:33pm

No DD won't use a cup for milk at all - she'll only drink water from one! even at this young age they have a will of their own don't they!

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, September 23rd 2006, 12:48pm

LOL!! Too right they do! :D

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Children: Twin Girls

Saturday, September 23rd 2006, 7:31pm

We introduced a cup for water & fresh juice from 4 mths but they do have trouble with the spout, we have the Tommy Tippee ones if you hold it upside down water drips out, we are using their little Avent bottles, Molly doesn't like Water so will give her fresh juice about 1/2 ounce with water, Daisy loves it thou, there are too many cups to choose from these are our 3rd ones! any reccomendations on a good cup, I was thinking about the Avent magic one.

& if we all did what HV said we would go mad!!! it's hard for babies that have sucked on a teat for 6 mths to go onto a spout.
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Saturday, September 23rd 2006, 9:29pm

I introduced beakers at 3 months with water. Then at 6ish months i started them with a beaker for milk, i just swapped in the end it was a battle for about a week but when they knew they weren't going to get a bottle they soon started drinking out of the beaker!!! I use avent magic cups which are ok, but horrible to clean and i never feel they are properly clean, the best ones and easiest for the babes to hols are the anywayup cups!!! I have had tomme tippe ones and they are rubbish as jess said itried to suck out of them and its really hard!!! Mine now have a sports type bottle for their water...bless em they grow so quickly!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 8:28am

I'm giving my cup to DS to play with (empty) & then trying to give him it with water. Yesterday he did take water with a splash of juice in it but only from a bottle. He knows what to do with the cup & chews on the spout bit but it's the water he doesn't like!

The HV recc that if you have a non-spill cup to take the valve out & the water should be easier to suck out, it does mean that you get water everywhere when they swing the cup about by the handles tho!

I'm gonna persevere with the TT one but if it's a no go I'll try the Avent ones I think.

Saz

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 2:29pm

I have started rying, but she doesn't really want to dring anything but milk. I may try to give her some EBM from the cup and see what she does.

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 3:12pm

I started Ds on the tommee tippee "flip up lid" type cup, for water at around 8 ish months- took ages to get the hang of it but now drinks fine. He nowhas his milk in an Avent magic cup, again took an age to get used to it and we had about a week of not drinking anything out of it but now he's fine.

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 4:46pm

joe started refusing bottles from age 5 months so i had no alternative but to introduce a cup...went through so many but settled on the avent magic cup because joe seems to be able to control the flow better on this one...dont know why...

the hospital seemed very surprised that joe hadnt got a bottle when all the little toddlers at 2, 3 and 4 were running round with bottles. :))
so mummy ended up very pleased with herself :]

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 5:10pm

I hate to see kids about two with a bottle of milk in their hand. xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Missy

Superstar

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 5:44pm

LOL!! If it was left to Lolly she wouldn't have a bottle or cup - just food and the occasional sip of water!!!

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Missy

Superstar

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 5:44pm

LOL!! If it was left to Lolly she wouldn't have a bottle or cup - just food and the occasional sip of water!!!

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 7:28pm

I will put some EBM in her magic cup tomorrow I think.

I have been given details of a doidy up like Primrose but I can't get my head around her using a cup without a on lid, I can't get my head around her using a cup full stop. It seems too grown up!

I got a lecture from a woman on friday about how terrible using a bottle is, causes speech impediments and a child to have to wear braces!? i will give her a bottle on occassion i just wondered what you were all doing.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 7:53pm

Chilli I typed a long reply earlier but lost it :rolleyes:

I don't think that using her bottles is going to make her need braces unless she's going to suck on it for 12 hours a day for the next 6 years. Ignore the woman ;)

I do think however that you might as well introduce a cup. Little babies suck their milk because it's natural for them to do so. People give milk in bottles because newborn babies have the innate ability to suck and when a baby is breastfed it invariably lies down to take its milk, when a baby is bottlefed it is also easier for it to lie back to have its milk. If you sit a child up and give it a bottle it must tip its head right back to suck out the milk which makes it more difficult to swallow. It's easier for baby lie down while it has a drink which is fine but it's not ideal when your baby is spending its whole life trying to become more 'upright'.

A few months down the line they are capable of eating food from a spoon and are learning to sit up, take something into their mouth 'without sucking' and swallow it, this applied to drink as well as food.

Therefore, at weaning age it's much easier and 'better' for baby to drink from a beaker with a lid and a spout. It's not the end of the world if your baby will only take a bottle but if you're making the choice now then cut out the middleman and go straight to beakers.

The Doidy cup is ok but it's sooooo messy to give a little one a lidless cup. If you want to try one I'll post mine to you.

I use sippy cups from my local chemist forwater and fruit juice. They're 99p and consist of a two handled beaker and a spout with three holes in. The water drips out of them at just the right speed.

For milk I use an Anywayupcup because mine have always liked to lie down for their morning and bedtime milk and I don't want it spilling all over the place. I made the slits bigger so that they're not quite as difficult to suck but so that the milk didn't just pour out

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 8:03pm

Thanks Bells, I have to admit the woman in question regards the open cup thing also says that at 7 months they should be drinking from an open cup and using a knife and fork!? anyway i couldn't be bothered to argue with her about it, but she was so strong in her point of view I decided to start this thread to see if anyone else had tried it, and if so their reasons.

I actually wouldn't of even thought about it, not at this age anyway but I am going to try to see how she takes it.

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 8:11pm

well done again Bells!

Chilli, I haven't thought about it that much & would only be concerned if M&D were 1 year & still drinking out of bottles for milk/water, I think at 6 mths it's far to early to let me have milk in a cup they are trying to get use to the TT beaker for water, I don't want to confuse them even more!!! That lady is stupid!! where does she get this evidence from? maybe a child of 18 mths who still has a bottle sucking every hour but not at 4,5,6 mths, M&D do hold their spoons & we put yogurt on & they feed themselves sometimes, clever girls!!! DH has taught them to hold their own bottles!!! but Daisy is Lazy sometimes!!!
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Sep 24th 2006, 8:11pm)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 8:30pm

I thought I should add that although my DD2 is perfectly capable of drinking out of a cup, glass or straw without spilling and has been absolutely ages but ....she still uses a beaker/sports cap during the day and do you know why? Because I have beige carpets that cost us two thousand quid and I can't afford to replace them! 8) How many people want to hover anxiously over a small child in case the cup hits the floor and the contents cover their home? I agree that fine motor skills and spacial awareness are to be encouraged but really... with an open top container full of liquid at 7 months? I'm not feeling it I'm afraid.

Same with giving baby a spoon. I left it much later than was 'suggested' and when the time came she picked it up straight away without having spent months chucking it on the carpet. The little one is still using a fork and spoon rather than a knife. The way I see it is that if the child can use a fork in their left hand and a spoon in their right hand then they are set up for eating. We use forks in our left hands and spoons in our right hand, not together of course (apart from spaghetti ;) ) but the motor skill are there and the foundations are there. When the time come to need a knife then I will provide one but for now a spoon and fork is perfectly adequate.

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 8:50pm

Bells i have to say i was adamant about giving mine a beaker cup to drink out of at about 6 months .....BUT i am the same as you with feeding, i still haven't given mine the spoon to feed themselves 8o I know its very naughty but i don't want the mess 8o They eat finger food and im sure they will get the hang of it when thet ime is right!!!
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 8:56pm

I'm sure they will too Clare. The problem is parents that never get around to teaching their child to use utensils or who feed them for so long that the child refuses to feed themselves... you are just putting it off until their hand/eye coordination and spatial awareness has improved. I don't see a problem with that at all. You'll know when they can be trusted with a spoon.

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 9:00pm

No bells im waiting till we move house and have laminate flooring everywhere!!! 8o 8o
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 9:01pm

:D Just leave it until they're 12!

:D

Sunday, September 24th 2006, 9:04pm

LOL!!!! I keep sayin gim going to start tom but then don't need to strip em, cover the floor and me and then go for it!! S might do it but b is so lazy he wouldn't even attempt it!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Monday, September 25th 2006, 7:54pm

I always give T a spare spoon, sometimes he tries to use it, sometimes it (and the food) go on the floor :rolleyes:, but i always leave one on the highchair table, and i'm sure he'll use it when he's ready.

Monday, September 25th 2006, 8:03pm

It's fun when they use their own spoons & it's only mess after all, it can be cleaned!!! Bells - how much was your carpet!!!! did you buy it before children? M&D had the spoons to play with today & it's so funny watching them!!! just can't wait for the painting to begin!!!!! :D :D
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Monday, September 25th 2006, 8:03pm

We tried EBM in a cup for 4+ months it was a tesco own brand and she was ok. she drank from it for ages then decided that mummys boobie was much nicer so she threw the cup on the floor and grabbed my boob! :D

Monday, September 25th 2006, 8:10pm

LOL! Bless little Mable, did she have no problems sucking the cup then? maybe I will try Tesco own, been trying to get a anywayup cup today, tried 4 shops! :rolleyes:
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Monday, September 25th 2006, 8:33pm

No problems at all, i did though i didn't like her feeding from the cup :( she looked too little for it ;(

Monday, September 25th 2006, 9:32pm

Awwwww. I can't wait for the painting stage either!!! I just keep thinking if they throw all the food on the floor they will be hungry!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Tuesday, September 26th 2006, 8:15pm

yah!!! Daisy drank 1/2 her juice in her TT cup today & did it so well, I literally had my face against her watching!!!!, & Molly managed a tiny amount, she bites it!!! must be all this talk of cups!! so onwards with TT cups, I filled the cups to the top, maybe this was better?

:D
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE