You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rivka

• "Rivka" started this thread

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 8:16am

Nipple thrush = Breastfeeding hell

I think I might have thrush on one nipple. There is a small but growing white dot and I'm getting a constant throbbing pain which goes right through my boob. When Plum feeds from that boob the pain is untold! I've checked inside her mouth but can't see any signs of it there.

I went to the docs with it and he just said come back later if it continues!!! Thrush doesn't just clear itself up does it? Never had it before I got pregnant so not an expert.

I don't think I can use caneston - is that right?

Does anyone know of any remedies?

Saz

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 10:44am

Aww hun, sorry i can't help. Just want to send you hugs.

xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 11:54am

Hell it is indeed. The problem is that 'thrush' conjours up a picture of slightly red skin and a bit of soreness which is pretty normal for many breastfeeding women. It's often treated with Daktarin gel and cream for you and baby, this is fine if the thrush is confined to the skin on the nipple and/or the baby's tongue. You can use canestan between feeds but it must be washed off before the next feed, it also does not treat the baby's mouth which is important even if there are no visible signs.

When you are at the stage where there are no visible signs but have a regular deep stabbing pain from your nipple to your ribs coupled with intense pain throughout the entire feed then you have to treat the thrush more aggressivly as by then it is in your milk ducts. No amount of nipple cream will penetrate this deep and you need serious medication and some proper management.... problem is that the medication isn't licensed for breastfeeding Mothers so it does depend on whether your GP is willing to put his/her neck on the line.

If you squeeze your nipple and let go does the blood come back into it straight away or does is stay white/pale for a long time? Is the pain in your breast as I described before, stabbing through to your ribs? Does the pain last throughout feeds either staying constant or as a stabbing pain until the end? Is your nipple sensitive to the point where you cannot bear it to be touched by your clothing (ie, painfull putting a bra on or pulling the duvet cover over it at night)?. If so then I do think you need to discuss 'thrush in your milk ducts' to your health professionals, talking about thrush in the nipple will fall on deaf ears.

The treatment I took was ten consecutive oral antifungal tablets along with Acidophilous (sp) tablets and cutting down drastically on sugar intake. This was coupled with washing all bras on hot, changing breastpads frequently, airing the nipples, discarding all dummies and of course treating baby's mouth.

Then again, it may be a blister on your nipple and may be fixed with repositioning........ hope you get to the bottom of it.xxx

(I edited this as I always say that I took Canesten tablets but I don't remember what they actually were, possibly flucanozole? )

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 12:09pm

I was just going to say a bit of what Bells said but not so expertly! In our area the HV will phone the GP on your behalf and berate them into prescribing the correct drugs, which as Bells says isn't licensed over here - maybe worth a try? cause a bit of a stink and demand some help - it may be a blister but treating for thrush won't hurt anyway. Incidently the white spot was on your nipple not your little ones mouth wasn't it? Just thought I'd ask as (without stating the obvious) it could be a tooth on the way up - just asked as my DD is in the habbit of chewing on me at the moment and its agony!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 1:15pm

I just wanted to add that just because a drug isn't lisenced (I can never spell that word) it doesn't mean its not safe. It usually just means the drug company haven't got round to applying for the licence because its more difficult/costly to get ethical approval for a trial on breastfeeding mothers. Quite often the drug is thought to be safe and some brave docotrs and mums try it and it turns out to be ok, as it the case with the drugs Bells is talking about. The drug company can then get a licence based on that data or are more willing to do a trial, knowing the drug is safe and they will definitely get approval. This is often the case for drugs used in pregnancy too.

That was a lot of waffle considering I just wnated to make a quick point. And I'm sure when you have sore boobies, Rivka, you really wanted a quick essay on the pharmacology industry! Hope you feel better soon. :))

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 1:56pm

Yes, that's a true point Mrs J, it's just unethical for the pharm companies to test these drugs on BF Mums but we know they're safe, the alternative is to stop feeding which IS proven to have negative side effects.

I tried to buy some over the counter pile cream in Boots when I was pregnant but they wouldn't sell it to me for similar reasons.... told me that I had to go to the docs and get it on prescription. :rolleyes: (went to Asda instead!).

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 2:03pm

There's some more info on thrush and its symptoms HERE

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 2:08pm

that sounds exactly what I had and it was thrush. Like Bells said it was right into the milk duct and also in Lolly mouth - but this was only a couple of weeks after birth so I hadn't been able to manage exclusive BF so found it much easier to give up and take a tablet.

I think thrush does clear itself up evetually.. would cranberry juice work the same way as it would for the other thrush ? something to do with the acidity in it eradicates the bacteria

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rivka

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 6:21pm

I think from your description Bells that it is thrush and it is my milk ducts or at the very least on its way in that direction. I can't however see any signs of it in littl eones mouth and she is in no distress but will still of course push for treatment. It is painful to have clothing brush against it and the duvet is like torture. I've put some tea tree oil on it which has given a little relief but will go to docs on tuesday.

one last question. I tried to give that boonb a rest yesterday but obviously ended waking in the night painfully engorged. is there any reason why I shouldn't let nipper feed from that boob before we both get treatment?

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 7:24pm

Keep feeding Rivka, otherwise you risk mastitis which is equally awful if not more so. If it's unbearable then nipple shields might give you some relief.

If it's deep in your milk ducts it won't clear up on its own and even if baby shows no sign she could still have it in her throat and be passing it back to you. You have to treat this aggressively.

Rivka

Sunday, October 15th 2006, 7:56am

will do!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE