You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saz

• "Saz" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 8:36am

Its happening

Well, after 32 weeks and 3 days of BF, R is just about to have her first FF ;( ;( We have had to make the decision to give her her morning bottle as formula. Basically, I am exhausted! 6 out of 7 of her morning bottles are ebm, and just to keep up with that I am having to do every night feed to express and then express at work. Its only the morning one we are going to do this for, but boy do I feel bad!! I know for me and my own health it has to be done tho

;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 9:32am

big :hugs: hun....dont beat yourself up hun....you've done/are doing an amazing job.... :] :] :)

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 9:47am

you have done such an amazing job for so long sara. if only i could have done so too.
it is normal to feel guity after those months of bf and you want to reduce it, but as you say it is for your own health, so dont feel too bad hun.

well done from me girl

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 12:53pm

Why on EARTH are you feeling bad about this Saz you nutter! She's seven months old, is eating things that grow in the earth and things that lived in barnyards. A bottle of formula at this stage is a drop in the ocean.

You gave the the absolute best start in life that anyone could ever do, you pulled out all the stops, put up with pain, discomfort, sleep deprivation....... you were the one getting up in the night while hubby slept, you were the one planning your days around her feeds and her sleeps and now you're working, running a home and feeling bad about giving her a bit of formula at seven months old? You're bonkers! :D

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 1:00pm

oh saz - you twit - it's just your hormones! silly lady....

but at the same time I sooooo understand - I felt devastated when I had to do the same for DS as I wasnt pumping enough.

personally, I would consider dropping the pumping sessions at work and using the daytime feeds as bottle feeds and the morning and evening feeds as booby feeds.

as you're not doing the bottles it is actually a *bit* easier to give formula if you're not there to see it! ;)

one word of warning though - my PND increased dramatically as I started to drop breast feeds so take it easy on yourself if you are feeling down.

Saz

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 1:10pm

Thank you all soooo much. I know I will feel bad for a few days, but it has to be done. I will be dropping the pumping at work, which takes alot of the pressure off in that sense.

Anyway, the 1st bottle - a 7 oz bottle was made and she took 4 oz in about 5 minutes 8o

But - when I look at the reason that swung it I know I have done the right thing. As it was my birthday yesterday, DH said he would do the night feed. There was 9 oz of EBM in the fridge. R had had a good feed before bed at 8pm. Anyway, she woke at 11.45pm, which is rare, we do normally get until 5pm. At 1.30am, DH came into our bedroom, with R. She had taken all that 9oz, and DH had spent an hour trying to get her back to sleep. She wanted more!! She emptied both sides. 8o I still intend, at least for the time being to do the afternoon feeds as well as the morning/evening. We will see how we go. The idea is to make up a 7 oz bottle every morning, and that is what she will have at nursery.

Thanks for being here tho. I really appreciate it.

xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 1:31pm

You're doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons Saz.

xxx

Saz

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 1:37pm

Thanks hun ;)

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 1:37pm

hmmmm - how much solids & what kind of solids is she having during the day now? it sounds like your little girl is hungry & rather than upping the booby feeds it might be time to consider upping the volume of solids.

Saz

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 1:40pm

She has e solid meals a day.

Breakast - porridge or weetabix

Lunch - mixed vegetables or similar followed by fruit

Tea - varies. Spag bol, veg and chicken etc followed by yoghurt.

She will also have occasional biscotti between, and milk feeds have been on demand. At her solid feeds, she does actually tell us she has had enough by spitting it out :rolleyes:

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 2:01pm

wow!

goodness me!

well, that's certainly plenty of food.....

gosh

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 2:09pm

:D Sunshine... lost for words?........ 8o

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 2:12pm

Mmmm i am going to go out on a whim here and i hope i don't offend saz . Firstly well done you for BF for so long you have done a grand job!!!!

Now secondly.....By about 8ish months, my two where only having 2 bottles a day, one at breakfast and one at bedtime. I think she may be having some of these feeds as comfort feeds??? I would suggest feeding her slightly more of everything, and offering water with her lunch.

Have you tried controlled crying on a night time?? She may be used to having a bottle or booby to soothe he back to sleep??

Hope i don't offend saz, its just my perspective on things. xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 2:34pm

Bells? Moi?

:D

Diddle, I was going to suggest the same - DS has a maximum of 5 bottles a day but normally only 4 bottles of 8-9 ounces. Try a dummy during the daytime, or distraction with new toys or teethers?

Saz

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 2:51pm

Don't worry about offending me!! I have already come to the conclusion that some are comfort feeds, and have reduced quite a few. For example, after taking the 4oz of formula, she wanted booby, but she was tired!! I didn't give in!! I know occasionally, the night feeds are comfort feeds, so am trying to get DH to deal with her at night a bit more, but he isn't used to doing it, so tends to bring her to me saying she is hungry :rolleyes: That don't help! We ( rather I!!!) have tried to do controlled crying, but DH gives in too easily. The times he hasn't, it has mostly worked. But there are nights where she is generally hungry too, like last night!

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 3:01pm

Its so hard isn't it?? I used to let mine cry and dh would say, you have to go in now, one night b cried for 1.5 hours, Dh was pulling his hair out, but i could hear that he was slowing down he soon gave up!!! after a few bad nights they where golden!!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Saz

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 3:32pm

It is hard, but best for everyone, even if it don't seem it at the time!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 5:32pm

Or just send her to bed with a packed lunch :D

I will say that I often don't join in with the discussions about how many ounces how often because I fed mine when they were hungry for as long as they wanted to. At around the 8 month mark I was probably only breastfeeding morning and evening with everything in between normal food. Maybe I would offer a feed if we were out shopping for convenience or if they were poorly or upset but I think generally most milk came from cereal, yoghurts, milky puds, cheese etc.

I know you're doing your absolute best Saz and having a husband who is not following the same plan isn't helping you at all. I'm not going to tell you how to do things as you've come so far and only you know your own baby but what I will say that is if she's having three good meals a day with milk, water and snacks in between then she shouldn't really be waking up hungry in the night. Do you ever wake up hungry in the night? When she was three months old with an immature digestive system then yes but considering how much food and drink she's putting away during the day ..... I can't see how she can be woken with hunger pains.

I think that potentially she could be learning to wake during the night and this could at some point become a problem. A few months ago then it could be excused but based on what you've said I think you could possibly be a little tougher with her and work on getting her to go through the night.

My DD1 was 8 months before I stopped bringing her into my bed every night for feeds, I had never even put her down to sleep from awake and used to feed/rock her to sleep every night. I remember the exhaustion! It took several days of me sitting at the top of the stairs listening to her crying before she got the hint.

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 5:44pm

mine too

we had to do this with DS for him to get used to the jet lag and 8 hour time zone - he was all adjusted after three days

first night we went in, changed him, fed him and played with him from 3:15am onwards
second night we let him cry for 10 minutes then went in, etc from 4am onwards
third night we were shattered, we let him cry. after 20 minutes he stopped and fell asleep
fourth night he slept through

Saz

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 6:05pm

Why don't they come with a manual!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 6:30pm

Because that would take all of the fun out of it! :D

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, December 28th 2006, 10:20pm

Hugs, Saz. [zx127]

The longer you bf, the harder in some ways it is to stop. I'm feeling the same as you, but haven't quite got there yet.

If R is spitting out food, maybe she's not hungry enough for solids. That then may be why she's waking in the night, because she's filling her tummy with milk, not solids. Everyone's been mentioning weight of milk feeds, and you've listed her meals, but what weight of food is she taking? Is it a quarter of a Weetabix, or a whole Weetabix? Just for your info, DS2 has nearly a whole Weetabix for breakfast, about 120-130g of protein/veg/carbs for lunch and 110g veg/carbs for tea followed by 80g of fruit/yoghurt. How does that compare?

Also, it may be time to regulate the times of her milk feeds so that her stomach is nice and empty and hungry in time for her meals.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D

Saz

Friday, December 29th 2006, 9:28am

Hiya,

Ahe has about 3/4 of a weetabix for breakfast, or about 100g of porridge. She then has about 110g of veg etc for lunch, followeed by about 20g of fruit.

For tea, she has 100g if she has a jar followed by a 60g petite filous. She will also have an odd biscotti thru the day.

Think I need to increase this and reduce the milk!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, December 29th 2006, 4:56pm

You could add half a mashed banana to a full weetabix, with full fat milk that's a good breakfast. Does she have any meat/potato with her lunch or is it just veg?

Saz

Saturday, December 30th 2006, 8:05am

She does have potato with it, and occasionally meat.

I will try the banana thing tho as she likes them! Thanks!!

Tuesday, January 2nd 2007, 9:36pm

Beyond 6 months, I believe it's good for them to have protein once a day (meat, cheese, lentils, fish, whatever). I now mash veg rather than puree them, but I still puree meat. There are lots of ice cubes of turkey now in the freezer!

Goodness me, Bells - half a banana and a whole Weetabix at 8 months old?! That's huge! DS2 who's big for his age doesn't even think about lunch till after midday and that's just on 3/4 of a Weetabix. Mind you, I do let it soak for about half an hour so it takes in oodles of milk.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, January 2nd 2007, 9:55pm

Well I had to crawl under the Christmas tree to retrieve her baby book from the bookshelf but yes she would have a breastfeed then a whole weetabix, half a banana and full fat cows milk then toast afterwards quickly followed by a cooked lunch :O

Tea time was a battle, she was loathe to eat later in the day and would mess about but would eat any amount in the morning so we worked it so that she had her main meals earlier in the day with a small tea before bedtime. The main thing about her was that she was ready for bed at 6pm and was tired out at 5pm, it was just a case of keeping her going so if I wanted any kind of cooperation it had to be earlier in the day, hence a large breakfast, big lunch and small tea.

Saz

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 3:18pm

Given the last few days, and another op coming up, the decision has been made to reduce down to 3 bf a day. TBH, R has taken really well to F, and actually sometiems prefers it. So, Morning, night and early afternoon are gonna be BF. FF will be mid-morning, mid afternoon and probably a couple of oz about 6pm. See how we goo with that!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 5:19pm

I think I must be WAY out of date Saz, that sounds like an awful lot of milk to me :O

By 8 months I was only offering a morning and bedtime feed with the occasional comfort feed in between. Both of mine were eating three meals a day with puddings, snacks and drinks (so I wasn't starving them :D ) but they were getting 1 pint of milk a day in total which was recommended at the time.

I'm positive that you're doing the right thing for R, I'm not saying that you're doing it wrong........ :O

Saz

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 5:42pm

I have tried less, but she won't have any of it!! We are hoping that doing it this way, we can reduce down!! She is a right milk monster!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 5:51pm

Ah I see :D

I've heard of little ones preferring their milk to solid foods, it must be more of a comfort to have nice warm milk than to sit up and have to contend with lumpy goo.

You know you're going to have to be very brave at some point don't you? :rolleyes: In my experience it always seems so much harder to break these habits than it actually is once you've made the decision, done the plan of action and gone through a few days of the grumps.

You could leave the formula all together...... whoops2

Saz

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 6:03pm

But she loves her food too!! Its so bloody hard!! She has just taken 3oz. Battled it cos she wanted bf, but Mummy won!! Idea is to drop this one and the mid pm very soon.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 6:17pm

She's a girl after my own heart.... for liking her food not for preferring your boobs... oh now see what you've done!!! :whoops: rotf

Saz

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 6:20pm

You are obsessed with boobs you are!!!! lmao

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 7:23pm

Yes saz, from 8 months my two only had morning and evening milk too. Can you offer her water or give her a snack to sustain her?? I'm sure you know best but if it makes your life easier in the lung run it may be worth a try??? xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Saz

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 7:38pm

We try that too. She has grapes, or banana, biscuits occasionally. Guess she is one of those who adores her milk. Mustnow be strong to reduce it!!

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 7:40pm

I'm sure if you just stop and face a few days of misery, she will soon forget it and then it will be easy peasy!!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Saz

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 7:41pm

LOL!! Can I bring her to you to do it for me???? ;)

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 8:00pm

Of course hun, i always say a few days of hell is worth it in the long run, I remember swapping my two to beakers from bottles, S wasn't too bad but B was a nightmare, but in less than a week he took the beaker and my life was much easier!!! xxxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Saz

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 8:01pm

I know she will be fine!! Last couple of days have shown that while I haven't been able to do anything!!

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 8:02pm

What have i missed hun?? I have been away and am trying to catch up??? xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Saz

Wednesday, January 24th 2007, 8:03pm

I have had an operation, so spent Monday night in hospital, and couldn't bf her until this morning!!

Thursday, January 25th 2007, 2:48pm

WHAT????/ An operation on what hun??? I do hope you are ok. xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Saz

Thursday, January 25th 2007, 3:42pm

I had an arthroscopy and my patella tendon released!

Thursday, January 25th 2007, 5:34pm

And I've only just noticed your ticker saying a lap. When did that get decided? Ooh you are busy!...

Saz

Thursday, January 25th 2007, 6:31pm

Lap is stuff following R's birth. Looking for scar tissue. It has come much quicker than I thought it would!

Thursday, January 25th 2007, 6:33pm

Oh no....hope it heals quickly for you. xxxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Saz

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 2:18pm

Quick update!!

WE have managed to regulate day feeds better. First thing, bottle mid morning, bottle late eveing, then final bf. Last couple of days we have been able to drop the afternoon feed by giving her fruit instead. WE shared an apple yesterday, and when she wakes up today, she can have a mixed bag, ie pepper, cucumber, toms and apple. Will see how she goes with that. Hope to drop the evening bottle next!! Hopefully very soon, cos as she gets used to the sack mid afternoon, hope to be able to give her her tea at 5pm rather than 4pm!!

Oh the plans!!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 2:59pm

Good plan Saz thumbup You could also try replacing milk with a yoghurt then you know she's getting her dairy quota.

I've just sent DD2 out with a bag of grapes, apple, cheese, sultanas, breadsticks and Soreen :D I do like these little mixed bag thingies, it keeps them interested doesn't it? I wish my littlie would eat peppers, you'de have thought I was making her eat a bar of soap!!!

You've done really well to have made a plan and stuck to it, hopefully you'll be in a much easier routine in a couple of weeks and can reap the benefits of not having to work around all those pesky milk feeds. You'll be liberated clap

Saz

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 3:17pm

I hope so!! She wouldn't really eat much and wanted milk..... so I gave her water :D She aint impressed tho!! DH said you are gonna have to give her milk! Errr... no!! She has to get used to it!! Tea is still gonna be early for now I think. May try to pull it out to 4.15. Maybe then she will get the idea and eat the fruit etc at 2.30ish

As for peppers, her Godmother gave her some Mon and she loved it, so gonna give her it. I am with your DD2 tho.... Yuk!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE