You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, January 12th 2007, 3:01pm

Bottle feeding questions

Moll is now almost completely formula fed. She is taking a lot longer than she used to to finish a bottle and is more windy than she was before. Is this a sign to change to faster flow teats? Also should I give water as a matter of course or only if she is showing signs of thirst/dehydration? She is having approx 800mls of milk in 24 hours which what it recommends on the back of the aptamil carton and is weeing loads.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Friday, January 12th 2007, 3:20pm

RE: Bottle feeding questions

your Moll sounds like my moll!!! she used to take 2 oz at 2 mths & fall asleep & be so slow until we changed teats, we went through every size! are you using Dr. Brown bottles for wind? we changed teats at about 2 1/2 mths to medium flow at that age, are you still on newborn? just don't try the variflow ones, they are awful milk comes out everywhere & babies choke loads. I would just give her water whenever you want to, in between feeds?

xx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Jan 12th 2007, 3:21pm)

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, January 12th 2007, 4:44pm

I can't help really. I kept DS on newborn deliberately because I was mixed feeding (EBM bottles during the day, boobs at night) so that he didnt get frustrated with the relative slowness of booby compared to teat.

I think it was around 3-4 months that we switched to Medium, and 6 months fo Large

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Friday, January 12th 2007, 7:47pm

Hi hon

The haberman feeder is very good for colic..........you can control the flow from slow to med to fast all from the same teat.....I think its great

xx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, January 12th 2007, 7:59pm

Yes Sun, I've been wondering about this for a while but stuck to the slower teats as I wanted to make bottle feeding as hard as poss for her (cruel mummy), now though theres no point. She seems to be getting a bit fractious (?sp) part way through her bottles as if its too hard to be bothered any more. Will try the med flow teats tomorrow we are just using the tomee tippee bottles, she's not especially colicy most of the time, just burps and farts a lot and its only been bothering her over the last 48 hours, so I've not bothered with to buy Dr Browns bottles especially as they cost an arm and a leg.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, January 12th 2007, 7:59pm

Yes Sun, I've been wondering about this for a while but stuck to the slower teats as I wanted to make bottle feeding as hard as poss for her (cruel mummy), now though theres no point. She seems to be getting a bit fractious (?sp) part way through her bottles as if its too hard to be bothered any more. Will try the med flow teats tomorrow we are just using the tomee tippee bottles, she's not especially colicy most of the time, just burps and farts a lot and its only been bothering her over the last 48 hours, so I've not bothered with to buy Dr Browns bottles especially as they cost an arm and a leg.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Friday, January 12th 2007, 8:00pm

Oops

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Friday, January 12th 2007, 8:03pm

Mrs J,

They are expensive, but £10.50 for 3 isn't that bad, think of me with twins we bought 9!!!! just buy 3. Also most teats will fit into the dr.brown ones, avent do, not sure about TT. How cruel are you making her work faster, poor little moll!

xxx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (Jan 12th 2007, 8:03pm)

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, January 13th 2007, 1:01am

we just used Avent bottles with Pigeon teats as the Avent teats DS found really difficult action wise and still does

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Saturday, January 13th 2007, 10:07am

the tommee tippee are very good i think(closer to nature)....joe wouldnt take a bottle for months but he took this one...he liked the teats....i tried the dr browns too...spent a fortune on them...he hated them :(...i have heard good things on the haberman feeder though

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, January 16th 2007, 12:40pm

RE: Bottle feeding questions

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper
Moll is now almost completely formula fed. She is taking a lot longer than she used to to finish a bottle and is more windy than she was before. Is this a sign to change to faster flow teats? Also should I give water as a matter of course or only if she is showing signs of thirst/dehydration? She is having approx 800mls of milk in 24 hours which what it recommends on the back of the aptamil carton and is weeing loads.

I would go for the teat that's recommended for her age, so she's ready for something more than the newborn teat now.

If she's weeing loads, and is taking the amount of milk that's recommended, then she won't need water.

However, at some point it's good to get her used to drinking something that's not milk. She's still young enough that you can leave it for a month or two till you do, or you could offer her water just once a day midway between feeds so that it doesn't affect her willingness to drink milk. Even a couple of sips is fine. I found that when my DS's got onto solids at 4-5 months, that was a good time to introduce a few sips of water. Either now or later is fine, MrsJ. Just keep it to a little bit though for now.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, January 16th 2007, 3:53pm

Thanks for all your advice girls. We have gone on to medium flow teats and they do make life easier. It doesn't take as long to get a bottle down M in the night so she can go back to bed before she has fully woken up. Of course the first night DH was supposed to get up at night because I didn't have to, she decides to sleep through! Thanks for the advice about water Limpet, do you advixe trying a cup instead of a bottle for the water or is it too early?

• "Flowertot" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Tuesday, January 16th 2007, 10:00pm

mrs J - my little one was really windy when started on SMA, then I changed to Aptamil and she was really bad and straining alot, then I changed back to SMA and am now giving her SMA and solids at 4 months and she hasn't had any problems since.

I tried the water for the constipation but she hated it!
Jen

Ella Louise Born Tuesday 12 September at 11.48pm weighing 6lb 14oz

Mum to a 2 year old little princess born after 2 rounds of IUI.

(Previously ZooKeeper/Twinkle Fairy/Fairy Girl/)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 1:13pm

Ooh I have a tip for constipated formula fed babies, use the ready made carton for 24 hours, that should shift it. Something to do with the way its produced makes it go through your baby faster!

We have had M on aptamil from the beginning, its recommended (unoffically) by the HV.

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 9:49pm

Hi MrsJ

It might be a bit too early for a cup. However, it's never too early though to give DD an empty spouted cup just to hold and play with as a toy, then it will be familiar when you put water in it.

I'd say try it in a few weeks' time. Don't get upset if she chokes on the water as it will be coming out a lot quicker than a bottle. DS2 choked lots just for a couple of days and learned pretty quickly how to control getting the water safely to his throat.

And you say that DD slept through last night? Great news!!
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 9:59pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Limpet

It might be a bit too early for a cup. However, it's never too early though to give DD an empty spouted cup just to hold and play with as a toy, then it will be familiar when you put water in it.

Oooh I like that idea. I did think about maybe giving her water on a spoon to get her used to being fed and also to water. What do you think? Am i getting carried away with myself? Unfortunately M only slept through onFriday night when it was DH's 'watch'. Yesterday she had a snuffly nose so was awake 3 hours feeling sorry for herself, mummy is knackered.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE