You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Lindy

• "Lindy" started this thread

Reg: Feb 8th 2007

Friday, February 9th 2007, 10:33pm

Is she old enough to walk herself to school?

My step-daughter is 11 but is still in last year of Primary School.
She lives with me and Leighton so is effectively my daughter. But she has asked me if she can walk to school on her own as she gets embarrassed.
Thinking back on my own childhood, my Mum didn't let me walk to school alone until I went into Comp.
So what should I do. It's about a 5 minute walk away and I have to drop Ben off in the same place at the same time. So I could make sure she is there.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Me (21)
2children B - Henri (4.5) G - Madison (3)
previous relationship

DF, Leighton (31)
3 children G - Luci (11) B - Ben (8) G - Jamelia (4.5)
previous relationship

unexplained infertility

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, February 9th 2007, 11:31pm

Hiya Lindy :))

My neice was 11 in July 06 and has just started secondary this time. I allow her to collect my 7 yr old daughter from school occasionally because I feel that she is mature enough and responsible enough to do so. I also have had her look after my three year old (then two) in an emergency situation once (the toddler was in bed, the 11 yr old had to sit downstairs for an hour).

I feel that my 11 year old neice is sensible enough for me to trust. I cannot speak for every other 11 year old though.

Now the law is ambiguous on this and most people agree that 14 is around the right age to leave a child alone but as a Mother, you know your own child. I allow my daughter to get out of my car across the road from school and cross the main road with the lollypop lady, taking herself into school, however, there is a child in her class who is older than her who could not be possibly trusted to do the same.

As I said, only you know your own child xxx

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, February 9th 2007, 11:44pm

Where I live hardly anybody seems to walk to school any more. their mums collect them in cars :rolleyes:.

Could you walk her part of the way Lindy and then maybe watch her for the last little bit so you know she is safe but she isn't embarrassed?

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 9:58pm

I'd say if there aren't many roads to cross and if its only a 5 minute walk I'd let her walk herself -- you can always follow her route (either walking or by car) just to make sure she's on time and can check that she is in school when you drop Ben off -- Callum has only just turned 8 and I let him walk home from school himself (he only has to cross one road right outside the school with a lollypop man) and walks home with one of his friends.
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 10:54am

Hi Lindi,

As said, it does very much depend on the child and the route to school. Several children I have taught have walked home alone from the age of 10. Can she arrange to walk with a friend?

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 12:00pm

as before I'd say it depends on the child and the route but my example is that my 10 year old nephew walks to school by himself (after calling for friends). My mum walks his seven year old sister on behind and often has him in her sights but he has that feeling of independence.

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Thursday, March 29th 2007, 11:18am

suggest a mate calls for her on the way - get them to leave a few mins before you do and just follow them.

At 11 she should be mature enough ......... but keep a close eye.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE