You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rose

Star

• "Rose" started this thread

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 1:40pm

self feeding??

Any ideas when/how to encourage a toddler to self feed with a spoon/fork???
My ds is now nearly 18 months and refuses to do it. He feeds really well with finger foods, and will pick up cooked food off his plate wioth his fingers and eat it but whenever i give him cutlery he just chucks it on the floor.......

any ideas???
x

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 1:47pm

I'm so glad you started this, I was wondering myself.. according to darling grandmaa lolly should now be eating with a fork, but you give her one and she thinks its so so funny to catapult it at mummy and the cat.. and well pretty much any other moving target! But, if you give her a bowl and no fork she will sit and scoop it out from the bowl and into her mouth in quite a dainty way! She still won't hold her own bottles either

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rose

Star

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 1:49pm

They think it's so funny to lob stuff on the floor don't they?
Ds will happily pick up his own water cup and holds his cup of milk at bedtime, BUt just REFUSES to use cutlery......aaaaaarg!

(doesn't really help that his 12 month old cousin is feeding herself.......)

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 1:55pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rose

(doesn't really help that his 12 month old cousin is feeding herself.......)

same scenario here hun! :rolleyes: as much as you don't want to get drawn into it!!

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 1:56pm

mmmmmm... I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Just keep offering the forks and spoons, encouraging them to eat using whatever implement they choose (including fingers) and I promise that eventually they will do it themselves. The younger they are the more mess they will make too.

I likes the Heinz soft touch spoons for mine because if they miss (which they will) they don't bash their lips or gums.

Please don't feel under pressure to get them self feeding, it's not a race (even though your friends will treat it as one) and as long as your aim is to have them use a knife and fork then at some point they will. It's the parents who never show their children a fork or spoon that struggle as they grow older.

Oh and Asda also do some lovely small cutlery (with the lunch boxes/childrens crockery) £1 for a lovely little spoon and fork and £1 for a knife, fork and spoon.

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:00pm

there is this spoon i bought from a local chemist that shape in a funny way so it make it easy for them to hold and the tip bend so it goes in the mouth easily. i use that for eliana to teach her, but we still got long way to go

Rose

Star

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:01pm

Thanks Bells- I know it's not a race, and i know too that ds is still "catching up" . I will keep trying and hoping that one day he'll get the idea!

on a more positve note- he built a small tower of bricks yesterday..... only three bricks mind....a small milestone i know, but the hv's been trying to get him to do that for ages-

i am a proud mummy!

Rose

Star

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:02pm

Vic- we have those too- they're curved in towards the mouth so it;s easier to get in.
hopefully he'll work out what to do with it!

x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:15pm

I'm sure that he'll catch up in his own sweet time. My DD is three and is still wearing nappies at night...... I'm a laughing stock at playgroup ..... :rolleyes: Hey ho! At least I don't walk around like I've got a pineapple up my bum like some of those Mums do .... :D

T is just perfect, he might've been early but I bet you'll find that he excells in other areas..... and I doubt he'll be taking his first girlfriend out to KFC just so he can eat with his fingers (although that actually sounds like a great date to me :D )

Rose

Star

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:23pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells

T is just perfect, he might've been early but I bet you'll find that he excells in other areas..... and I doubt he'll be taking his first girlfriend out to KFC just so he can eat with his fingers (although that actually sounds like a great date to me :D )

Girlfriend??????? I think i might have something to say about that!!! Have i not mentioned that i'm going to follow him to uni just to make sure no "ladies " get in the way...? or is that just me being a tad bit possessive??????

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:29pm

:D Maybeeeeeeeeeee :D

Rose

Star

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:35pm

well ok- maybe i'm a wee bit protective....... I can't even imagine him in his first schho uniform yet let alone a strapping six foot 18 year old going down the pub and having girlfriends......no no no- he's gonna be a baby for ages yet!!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:37pm

Yeah well, just make sure he knows how to put his own sheets into the washer.... lmao

Rose

Star

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:41pm

NOOoooooo ........can't think about THAT yet..........

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:50pm

laugh1

All of a sudden the feeding thing doesn't seem like much of an issue :laugh:

Rose

Star

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 2:51pm

too right- keep him a baby pleeeeaaaasseee!!!

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, February 13th 2007, 11:14pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
My DD is three and is still wearing nappies at night...... I'm a laughing stock at playgroup ..... :rolleyes: Hey ho!

Shame on your other playgroup mums. DS1 is in nappies at night too, and there isn't a problem with it as you and I well know!

I had just the same problem with DS1 about holding his own spoon. I used to load it up and put it on the plate and he would happily post it into his mouth, but *would not* load it himself. Eventually, at 22 months (yes, really!), we refused to help and just left him with his bowl of food and his spoon. He didn't ever throw it around, so we were safe, but I'd have taken him out of his chair with no tea if he hadn't done it. He was well old enough by then to know what I meant when I warned him that I was going to expect him to do it himself.

He was furious for the first couple of days, angry the third day, a squeak on the fourth day, and silent and happy to do so from then on. At first, we had to hold the bowl in the right position so that he could scoop against its wall.

Quick tip: I started with making him do it just for pudding as that was his clear favourite and part of the meal he least wanted to do without! Then when I knew he was capable, I extended it to other meals.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Wednesday, February 14th 2007, 1:06pm

I echo what Bells and Limpet have said about the feeding, I'm not sure exactly how old DS was when he was independently feeding himself but I'm sure it was nearer 2. I'll always remember what my Health Visitor advised me about this, she said from an early age allow him to feed himself with his hands and get as dirty as he liked, as stopping this behaviour and constantly cleaning them can cause them to have issues with food.

Bells - re the dry nights, I can not believe the playgroup ladies are so rotten about this, Jake is almost 5 and we have only managed to get him dry at night in the last few weeks, so tell them to stick that up their bum :raspberry:

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

Rose

Star

Thursday, February 15th 2007, 8:20am

Thanks girls- ds does help himself to food with his fingers and gets covered so i'll cary on letting himself do that for now.
Limpet- ds won't even take the spoon near his mouth even if i load it up for him- just screams and chucks it on the floor......hey ho, guess I'll just have to keep doing it for now....

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Thursday, February 15th 2007, 11:07am

I am a terrible mummy!!! I haven't really bothered with encouraging them to feed themselves 8o 8o Too much mess!!! They will take the spoon if i load it for them and will feed themselves but won't sccop up, they will let me help them though its just sooooo difficult. I know really its for my own benefit that i feed them, its quicker, less mess etc, but i really must start encouraging them.....mmmmm will try at lunchtime!!! xxxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Thursday, February 15th 2007, 11:45am

well, my DS will put ANYTHING into his mouth *except* food

:rolleyes:

he just really isnt into finger food - he'll be quite happy chewing on a piece of duplo but offer him anything that is food and he just wont put it anywhere near his mouth?! ?(

so heavens forbid that I am worrying about knife & fork yet!!!

he's also still 'choking' on any food that has bits in it.... nah, not really choking but by the performance he gives you would think he was :rolleyes:

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, February 15th 2007, 12:56pm

aw bless him!!! :D

Well Lollys dinner ended up on the floor after she spat it all out :rolleyes: she ate her yoghurt though :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Thursday, February 15th 2007, 3:22pm

I forgot i had a driving lesson at 12 so mum fed them, no feeding themselves sorry!!! I'm sure they will learn when they are ready!!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Missy

Superstar

Thursday, February 15th 2007, 3:26pm

any excuse!!

xxx

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Thursday, February 15th 2007, 3:27pm

Well you know!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Rose

Star

Friday, March 2nd 2007, 2:20pm

self feeding- UPDATE!

Well i think i can report some progress on the feeding- for the last couple of days i have been leaving a spare spoon, loaded with food on T's plate/bowl at meal times. Preveiusly he juast chucked it on the floor but he's actually starting to either pick it up and get it in his mouth, or take the spoon from me and put it in! Only manages 3-4 times before it goes on the floor, but hey- this is work in progress!!

x

Friday, March 2nd 2007, 4:04pm

YAY!!! Well done T!!! My two are progressing, will feed themselves if i load the spoon but can't work out how to load the spoon themselves yet!!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Friday, March 2nd 2007, 5:32pm

well done T. a very good start

Rose

Star

Saturday, March 3rd 2007, 1:57pm

thanks girls. Won;t load the spoon himself either diddle, but as i say, it's progress!

Saturday, March 3rd 2007, 2:52pm

Thats it, progress is good!!! I managed a bit of a breakthrough last night, Yoghurt, it clings to the spoon so they can sort of do it themselves!!! I'm trying to get mine to drink there milk out of a proper cup at the moment, S is doing it no problem but B is a typical man and can't be bothered, but each day he takes it better. He is learning that he won't be getting a beaker cup, so its a big boy cup or nothing!!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Rose

Star

Sunday, March 4th 2007, 1:05pm

I'm still fighting that battle too- he;ll drink merrily out of one of those sippy lid cups, but try one without a lid and well, lets jsut say evrywhere gets a covering!

Rose

Star

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 1:52pm

More progress on the self feeding. Gave ds a yoghurt and spoon and he dived straight in (with the spoon i mean... :D) managed to get it ABSOLUTELY everywhere, but he did get the spoon in the pot, with yoghurt on and in his mouth at least 5 or 6 times- the rest he ended up wearing :D

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 8:46pm

Bless him!!! Yoghurt is great for self feeding isn't it!!! Also i gave mine pasta bolognaise yesterday which they managed to feed themselves well with as it stuck to the spoon!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Rose

Star

Wednesday, March 14th 2007, 7:48pm

They're so funny aren't they?? ds has a look about him as if he's so proud, and says " hey look what i did mum...." :D

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, March 14th 2007, 9:51pm

Aww bless them :D

Went to fetch Lolly from nursery today and she is sat in a chair COVERED from head to toe in food :)) It seems that nursery leaves them to it.. better on their floor than mine!!! :D

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Children: Twin Girls

Friday, March 16th 2007, 3:27pm

sorry to hijack thread, Missy hows Lolly getting on at nursery? love the new picture.

x
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE