You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Bluey" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 1:35pm

Which days

I'm due back at work at the beginning of May and will be going back 3 days per week (6 hours each day) but can;t decide which 3 days to do .. the girl covering my maternity leave will do the other 2 days but she doesn't mind which days these are. I used to work Monday - Wednesday before Callum started school and it was fab -- finishing the week on a Wednesday but am not sure if doing Tuesday - Thursday might be better (no Monday feeling ... although I'm sure I'd just get the same feeling on a Tuesday)

.... answers on a postcard to :

want to go back to work
c/o just not that work
cause their :swear:
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 1:40pm

every one i know does tues/wedsand thurs.......long week ends every week, they love it.
:D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 1:42pm

see that's why I have a dilema ... because I loved doing Mon-Wed but a long weekend every week ... oh I don't know :headache
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 1:45pm

I wanted to do Mondays for that very reason but I have to work Tues & Thurs because of whats on at work. If I ever become Prime Minister I'll change the law so that part time workers get the same bank hols as everyone else!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 1:47pm

I initially wanted mon-wed,but ended up doing Mon, wed, thurs (long story...)which i thought would be rubbish, and would be really disjointed, but i've got used to it now and i don't get a monday morning feeling cos i'm only doing one day and then i'm off again. then two more days before a long weekend so it works quite nicely!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rose" (Mar 13th 2007, 1:47pm)

Ethel

Star

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 1:59pm

Hope you dont mind me joining this - i know i dont have a child yet - sorry for hijacking it Bluey and I hope you dont mind me thinking ahead. I was thinking of doing a thread as well - it wld be good to have some advice from you working mothers.

I think i wld like to do tuesday wed, thursday if i did 3 days I think Bluey.

I was talking to various people about this - if I am allocated an older child - i probably do school time but dont think i wld make it back for straight after school - because of the trains perhaps 3-45 - I def need a childminder for 2 days a week for the summer and after school - my brother has offered to help out the other days in the summer cause he is a teacher but dont really want to put on him whole summer - the question is

DO I DO 4 FULL DAYS AND HAVE ONE FULL DAY OFF - BE GOOD TO HAVE ONE FULL DAY OFF TO DO THINGS IN HOUSE AND SPEND WITH CHILD

OR

DO I DO FIVE DAYS OF SHORTER HOURS - BE THERE LITERALLY WHEN GET IN FROM SCHOOL

Dh will take the child to the school in the morning as can start what time he wants (he is self employed) so it will have one parent to do at least one school run and we may move in a couple of years to a smaller house (the adoption would hate it now if we did that) so i can reduce my hours move then.

Any tips wld be great

cookie

Superstar

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 2:09pm

mmmmmmmmmmmm thats a really tough one ronan.

i dont know what to say.....

how far away does your brother live??

xx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Ethel

Star

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 2:11pm

He only lives about 4 miles away - he cld not help out school time though cause he dont get in until late

DH can finish early but not every day

And to be honest I am best paying a registered childminder after school in respect of child care vouchers etc and also my friend's friend does it so i know her instread of just paying someone just to pick the child up and hold on to them for a bit

cookie

Superstar

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 2:13pm

that does sound like the best option i think, such alot to sort out ey??? ?(

not long now!!!! :P

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 2:27pm

Ronan - although I went back to work for 3 full days just after Callum was born when he started school I changed jobs (used to work in Glasgow - about 50 mins away) and changed to work locally (about 10 mins drive) and worked during school hours (9.30am until 2.30pm) so that I could drop Callum in the morning and pick him up after school .. there are also so many after school things to do that I didn't want him to miss out on ... I'm sure it didn't help that although there are childminders in the village I didn't feel comfortable leaving Callum with any of them - if you know someone and like them then that's different. if your DH can drop your child off is there any way you could start slightly earlier so that although he/she has to go to a childminder it may only be for an hour or so and then your home .. so that you can still do the swimming, beavers/brownies etc after school/early evening??

Sorry rambling now - just some thoughts
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

Ethel

Star

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 2:32pm

Thanks M (sorry I just cant call your Monster) and Bluey

I think it wld be the best to do the 5 days - i cld start earlier - at the moment I dont drive and i think i need to get my bum into action and try and pass my test because i probably cld drive into the city if i went earlier and left earlier as no traffic and wld have more options in looking for another job - trouble is money is good in the city and what i wld get part time here i wld get full time in my town.

I agree re after school things etc Bluey - wld be so sad to miss out on that

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 2:50pm

I do Tues, Weds, Fri and am pretty happy with it. I did want to do Tues, weds Thurs but didn't fit with my works requirements. At the time I was disappointed but actually it works out pretty well because I don't ever get that Monday feeling and have a lovely rest and play with Plum on Thursdays and then on Friday nobody does much work anyway and we almost always leave the office early. Tis great!

working three days a week has massively improved the quality of my life. I think everyone should work part time, and still get paid well, we'd all be so much happier!

Ethel

Star

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 4:11pm

I agree R

3 days would be ideal for me really i have to see whether its worth it with tax credits etc as I know sometimes you are better doing less hours.

• "Flowertot" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 7:01pm

this sounds so much like me and my indecisive mind - how many days? can we afford it etc!

I think tues - thurs sounds the best - a lovely long weekend and cuts out that 'boss thinking of what to give you over the weekend' lark
Jen

Ella Louise Born Tuesday 12 September at 11.48pm weighing 6lb 14oz

Mum to a 2 year old little princess born after 2 rounds of IUI.

(Previously ZooKeeper/Twinkle Fairy/Fairy Girl/)

• "moomin05" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 8:24pm

Definately would have long weekends. When I go back in 3 weeks time going to be doing Tuesdays and Thursdays and every other weekend, average of 3 days a week, but one week it is 2 days and then the next it is 4

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Tuesday, March 13th 2007, 8:36pm

Hi all,

I work 4 days, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. I like having weds off as it splits the week into 2 lots of 2 days really.

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Ethel

Star

Wednesday, March 14th 2007, 9:29am

|Its so hard isn;t it knowing what to do - so it depends as well what my work offer me - they are all into this desk sharing at the mo - they is talk of home working as well - luckily I can audio type quite fast - dont do it so much now - but that is an option as well.

Good luck to you girls that are going back to work soon x

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, March 14th 2007, 9:36am

Ronan, do any schools near you have an after school club? Then maybe work 3 full days and at least you'd get the 4 days to yourselves IYSWIM? Then it would save having to take LO to a childminder etc, I'm rambling here but the school over from us has one until about 5 oclock, they do activities etc with the children until the parents get home from work.

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Ethel

Star

Wednesday, March 14th 2007, 10:37am

No M it dos not do it the school by us - another school does not too far but I would rather the LO (I like that think gonna use that saying instread of child) go to this school as its nicer.

Its a shame cause i cld use that in summer hols as well

I do have a friend who child goes to this school but she does shifts so soemtimes her mom collects him and cant really ask her and with family tax credit etc bettet off paying a paid minder

God this child thing is so complicated lol

Thanks for the advice though

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Wednesday, March 14th 2007, 12:48pm

You could find out if the local school has an agreement with the other school about after school club. At our school we ran a club for a year with a grant but at the end not enough children attended to make it financially viable, so now one of our teaching assistants takes children from our school to a nearby one for after school cover. I think she is paid by the after school club. Does this make sense?

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Ethel

Star

Wednesday, March 14th 2007, 12:53pm

Yes thanks it does - I will look into that x

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Wednesday, April 11th 2007, 9:32am

i'm with spider on splitting the week- three days in a row would be too much for me and strawb, and my boss insisted the two days i didn't work were together, so whoever job shared with me had an easier time rather than two split days, which left me with mon, tue, fri.

i know it means i don't get a long weekend, but tbh it does mean i get two lots of two days off- sat sun, and wed thur each week. whilst when childless the idea of long weekends away is enough reason to have a mon or fri off, now it doesn't really make much difference (dh works some weekends anyway)

ronan, if i were you I'd work four days slightly longer- having a day in the week to do things like take your child to the doc if they need a routine appt, get haircuts, supermarket shop without the masses, and during term time just have a bit of time to yourself will be invaluable trust me!
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, April 11th 2007, 9:37am

I think you so right there Veg,a midweek day off or two really makes all the difference with the little ones!

Wednesday, April 11th 2007, 1:49pm

I've gone for Monday, Tuesday and 1/2 day Wednesday .... like the thought that by Wednesday lunchtime my paid working week will be done .... and then the hard work begins !!!!
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Thursday, April 12th 2007, 1:29am

I work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I LOVE leaving on a Wednesday and saying 'have a nice weekend to everyone'!!!! Ha Ha!!!

However, have been toying with the idea of working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday in order to break the week up a bit.

Obviously still hoping for the lottery win so that this all becomes irrelevant........!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE