You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "cookie" started this thread

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 2:08pm

spud got his first reading book!!!!!

awwww! my lil man is growing up so fast!!!!

he has come home with his first reading book and a set of words!!! im so proud lurve

i have just sat down with him after lunch and tried to get him to take some of it in and he just looked at me with this look on his face :rolleyes: X(
and said 'mom, I CAAAANT REEEAD!' lmao..... (like i didnt know that!) bless him

but im still proud! :] :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cookie" (Apr 23rd 2007, 2:09pm)

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 2:12pm

Aww, I remember those words on pieces of card, they were great!!

Oh to be 4 again!!! :D :D :D

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 2:50pm

Awww bless him!!!! xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 2:57pm

RE: spud got his first reading book!!!!!

Quoted

Originally posted by willow
he said 'mom, I CAAAANT REEEAD!'

Yes, Spud, that's why you've got these cards. He'll be so pleased with himself when he works out his first word for himself! Here's the start of homework for the next 14 years! :rolleyes:
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 3:33pm

Wow! BIIIG boy!!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

cookie

Superstar

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 3:36pm

thank you ladies! it is quite scarey really, he is brighter than me already! :D

have noticed he has problems with the word 'a' but has no problem with the word 'spaceman' ?( eh?

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cookie" (Apr 23rd 2007, 3:37pm)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 4:59pm

What does he have problems with K? Aye or Ahh?

cookie

Superstar

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 5:04pm

a as in 'a' ball

:D

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 11:01pm

He will probably be saying a as in cat in school. They generally learn the phonic sounds first and letter names later.

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 11:17pm

Is he doing Jolly Phonics or anything where 'a' is pronounced 'ah' and at the same time he does a little action like ants running up and down his arm?

How's he saying it?

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 10:18am

lol Bells aren't jolly phonics fab, you don't half look like a loon doing the actions but are so proud when they master them and want to show the whole world - with you doing them as well :D

Well done to spud for being a big clever boy clap

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 10:21am

thanks chicks!

erm, i dont know what jolly phonics are ?(

when i went to school many many moons ago i learned the sound of letters...THEN went on to reading, but spud had to learn and remember 1-10 which took months, and now he has come hom e witha book!
its like they are wanting him to learn the shapes of the words more than knowing how the word is formed iykwim??? i am a little confused by it tbh...idont think it can be a very easy way for a 4 yr old to learn to read... ?(

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 10:38am

I'm not sure? that is very different to how J has learned too. He had to learn all of his letters first (via Jolly Phonics, say the sound and do an action to remind them too, so like Bells said, say ah, ah, ah while walking fingers up your arm - like little ants, they learn the letter and also assosciate it with a word). Once he knew them he started on basic words, and as he learned a set of words he got a book with them in. Has his teacher explained what his book is for? maybe its one for you to both to read together rather than him have to learn to read? jake gets his book that he has to read and a library book every week for mainly me to read to him?

xxx

Me - PCOS

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 10:43am

It's whole word recognition as opposed to learning phonics and phonic blends. It not ideal to be learning it as a standalone, it should really be alongside phonics or it could prove difficult for him when he's trying to sound out new words.

I'm not saying that the way he's being taught is wrong, I'm sure his teacher has a bigger plan but if he's struggling with the phonics then how can he progress to reading new words?

I'm a big fan of leaving the teacher to it and backing him/her up at home but in Spud's case I'm wondering if it would be worth you buying him some Jolly Phonics books and doing a page a day at home as homework ..... not to undermine the teaching methods of his school but to reinforce in his mind what sounds go with what letters.

Jolly phonics is a way of learning the sounds of letters. The first letter is 'a' and for this the child has a picture of an ant. The child wiggles the fingers of his right hand (like a bug) and scuttles the fingers up and down his left arm while saying "ah ah ah ah ah". It reinforces the shape of the letter going with the sound of the ant.

The basis is that cognitive learning (that which is fully understood and becomes a second nature) is based on seeing, doing and understanding. It's a rounded approach to him 'knowing' rather than working out that 'a' makes the sound "ah" .... just like you do.

It also allows him to understand that if it's not 'ah' it's 'aye'.... and so when he's looking at a word for the first time his brain will try the 'ah' sound and if that isn't right he will try the 'aye' sound.

At the moment he's learning the shapes of words which is the next step along with and after learning the phonics. Once he can recognise the singular letters he will begin to recognise the patterns of words without having to look at each letter and work out what they say. This is how we read.

Does any of that make sense? :D

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 10:45am

it is a book with only about 7 pages...about 12 words
and he has got little cards with words on them and they want him to learn the words by shape....

?(

i thought the way j was taught was THE way to learn.

k xxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 10:46am

Sorry, chicks, we cross posted there!

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 10:50am

i cross posted with you too bells!

im confused about it now!

i might go and ask his teacher why he is learning like that.....

thanks ladies!!

love k xxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 11:07am

Hmm... I would K

Some info on Jolly Phonics, worth a read. I really like this style of teaching, it's simple, fun and it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Phonics

It's £1.50 for the first book from the Early Learning Centre, defo worth looking at.

http://www.elc.co.uk/subcategory-592-533

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 11:10am

lol Bells yours made more sense than mine tho!

K, that sounds like a good plan, we had a meeting at J's school when he started the Jolly Phonics and they explained how they were going to teach, there are other schools locally that teach differently, i think some use Letterland. I think you are best to talk to the teacher, find out exactly how they will be teaching spud to read and get some advice on how you can help and encourage him from home, i'm sure they will really apreciate your support.

xxx

Me - PCOS

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 11:20am

I'm sure we have some primary teachers on here, not sure if they teach reception but they might have more ideas about how to help him.

I always steer parents away from buying the phonics books before that start school because if the child already knows it all the first term is really boring for them. I would ask his teacher if she would support you using another learning system out of school.

I know I'm raving about JPs but DD1 learnt to read so well and so quickly with that method that I was constantly amazed.

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 11:45am

didnt get to speak to the head today as she is off sick, i will try and collar someone tomorrow....

spud is only in nursey...starts reception in spetember.

i am worried that they are setting him up for a difficult time later in the year if they are using word recognition rather than sounds of letters....

hmmm, ill let you know what they say, thanks for all your help.

love k xxx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 11:51am

Ah right! I thought he was in reception class. I agree that they may not be helping him at all ......I assume it's a feeder for the school and they have some form of communication therefore should be aware what impact their teaching style is having?

I'm sure you'll sort it all out.... I don't think I would be happy to have such confusion surround such a major thing as reading.... it's supposed to be fun for him, not hard work.

Good luck x

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Wednesday, April 25th 2007, 1:17pm

There is also a synthetic phonic scheme called codebreakers which is great, it is both a reading and writing phonic scheme and seems to fit in well with the new changes in the literacy strategy - which is changing to the literacy framework! A recent report - The Rose Report - highlighted synthetic phonics (where children learn individual sounds and then put them together to make words) as the best way to teach reading (not the only way, all children are different).

I think you do need to check out with the nursery what their approach is and why it is like that. Do they liaise with the school/s they feed to ensure consistency? Can you talk to parents at the nursery who already have children in reception (or who have recently gone through reception) at the school you are hoping to get Spud into? Ask them what approach the school has.

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Spider" (Apr 25th 2007, 1:19pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE