You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Limpet" started this thread

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 7:45pm

Different foods touching each other

I'd like to hear from others who have had this from their child/ren. It's apparently a fairly typical thing from the 3 year old (ish). DS1 for the last week has become almost hysterical when different foods touch each other on the plate. :( What have people done about this and how has the fad ended? Or has it not ended?!...

The reason I'm on high alert is that my nephew is now five and has to have things on *different plates*, not just separate on the same plate. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I think his parents have given in to it a bit for a quiet life, but if I knew that giving in to it was going to help it end quicker, then obviously I'd do it, but it seems like they've built a rod for their own backs. I'm persevering with putting all his food on one plate, without making it touch or not making it touch - however it happens. That's what I want him to get used to. Any experiences of this, anyone?

I would go on to describe the madness at mealtimes where if his plate is 1cm to the left of where he wants it, or if it's not quite rotated right (I want the grapes in front of me, not the banana), or if his chair isn't *quite* close enough to the table, but if you've been there, you'll know exactly what I'm on about. As soon as the meal is over, he's gorgeous and sunny and it's all instantly forgotten about.
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 7:57pm

spud has always been funny about gravy and beans etc...he does like them in a bowl on his plate rather than next to and covering everything else, he does like his plate a certain way, but i put it infront of hima nd he adjusts it to how he wants it.
he isnt too bad with his food, but he does like dry foods better than things with sauces ......if we have spag-bol for example, he will eat all of the pasta then eat the bolognese he will never mix it up, or if he has a ham sandwich he will eat the ham first then the bread....maybe your ds likes to see than there isnt any contamination from other foods.....i think thats what it is with spud, i just invested in LOADS of little tiny 'nibbles bowls' from ikea and everything he is a bit suss about i put in a bowl next to his plate.

hope that helps a bit....not sure its an age thing...think it might be a lad thing lol! :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 8:01pm

Quoted

Originally posted by willow
i put it infront of him and he adjusts it to how he wants it.

That's my problem - DS screeches and insists that *I* move it to how he wants it. That's one step too far - I won't do it - he's perfectly capable. I think it's about wanting to be in control and this is one area of his life where he's worked out he can exert some influence.

Does it not bother you that spud may be getting a habit that won't ever be broken? (I don't know that or whether it just stops at age 5, 6, when?)
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)

cookie

Superstar

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 8:08pm

you are doing the right thing in not moving it for him, spud has done that too, but like you say they ARE capable so i wouldnt do it for him.

i am daring sometimes....i do something like mixed steamed veg and rice mixed together and spud looks at it (and me ) like i am bonkers, but he has learned to eat it and he is less 'twitchy' about that now, it just takes time....i think the fussy eating will always be a small issue with spud because i have 'let' him be like it in a way. but i just feel that if he is happy with his beans in a bowl next to his toast i would rather do that than not have him touch it iykwim??

..........i AM hoping that he will grow out of it eventually tho. :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 9:13pm

Limpet as a "strict" mummy i would just put it on the table and say you can eat it or not eat it, but you won't get anything else!!! I certainly wouldn't start stressing over making sure his foods aren't touching, try letting him help you in the kitchen, do some simple cooking of foods that involve mixing together so he can see how it can be tasty eg strawberries and ice cream. I think if you give in it could make things worse. xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Oct 6th 2005

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 9:22pm

Limpet, I'm sorry to say that i'm one of those children who never got over food touching each other ! :rolleyes:

I cannot bear foods touching and if anything on my plate touches something else it gets left on the plate! Total weirdo i know. Beans are the worst! Oh my god, i totally freak out of they touch other things - make everything go soggy - yuk! Oh i'm making myself feel sick thinking about it! Another bad thing is scrambled eggs on toast - why would anyone do that?!!!!! Its got to be toast on one plate and eggs on the other!

I'm also a bit weird in that if i have say three things on one plate i eat all of one thing before i eat the next thing and so on.

Complete freak. been doing it since the age of 3 and i'm now 27!!!!

heres hoping DS1 is not like me! My parents tried not to give on to me and always put everything on the one plate and things touched each other, as happens, so i just chose not to eat the bits that had touched each other. They used to go crazy but they eventually had to accept it as 24 years later i'm still the same nutcase! :D

Michelle xx
Me 33, DP 32
TTC for 3 years.
HSG showed 2 blocked tubes.
Lap and dye August 05 unblocked both tubes. :D Hurrah!!!! :D
Natural BFP 05/06/06

My beautiful baby girl was born 2 weeks early on 3rd February 2007

After many up's and down's we're back and ttc naturally in 2013!

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 9:25pm

I might have guessed that would be your advice Diddle!! :D Thank you! That's exactly what I do. I tell him that he doesn't have to eat it, but if he doesn't then he doesn't get anything else. I'm not risking new foods or foods I'm not sure if he likes so I know that the reaction is definitely due to the touching. He's even not eating pudding sometimes, so that shows how strong his reaction is. However, by the time he's reached pudding, I don't mind if he doesn't eat it because he's had all the nutrition he needs by then!

This all just comes with so much loud crying and screeching that I can see how easily you could get worn down by it all. This evening, his half an hour of crying finally set off DS2 crying too who is normally (almost) oblivious to it. I had to take DS2 out of his chair to calm him down. Teatimes are not much fun right now. :(

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 9:28pm

Quoted

Originally posted by murphsmurf
Beans are the worst! Oh my god, i totally freak out of they touch other things - make everything go soggy - yuk!

Silly, isn't it? I'm worrying about my 3-year old, but now you mention it, I don't like beans contaminating anything else either. :P Soggy is the word. Doesn't stop me eating it, and generally all other foods mixed up are fine, but beans, no!

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 9:28pm

Oh you poor thing, My DD likes to feed herself only she is not so good at it, she won't even entertain the idea of letting you help, so after a given time if she hasn't eaten it i take it away!! Its so hard when they are screaming and arching there nack though isn't it??? xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 9:33pm

Now that DS1 can tell the time, I tell him that if it gets to 6 o'clock and he's not eating, it goes! More fury!

Funny how I had the same fury from DS1 because he was the opposite of your DD. He refused to feed himself and we just left him with spoon and bowl (aged nearly 2) and if he didn't get on with it, there would be no tea. He soon got the hang of it and after 4 teatimes of crying, he was fine.

Tuesday, April 24th 2007, 9:35pm

S just can't do it!!! Bless her, she does try. B just eats it witrh his fingers!!! xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Thursday, April 26th 2007, 9:40pm

It's getting worse. It's not just about food touching, but the position of the chair (how far away from the table, to the nearest millimetre), the position of the plate, the position of my chair etc etc etc etc. It's madness, but it must be a developmental thing about wanting control. At teatime today, he screamed and cried in a frenzy for a whole hour about everything. Help!!!

Thursday, April 26th 2007, 9:44pm

oh hun, i really don't know what to suggest?? Does he have his own chair and table or ait at a proper table?? Could you let him have sarnies or something thats his fave for a few days let him help and let him set the table etc??? xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, April 26th 2007, 10:25pm

I haven't replied up to now as this is the one thing we don't have problems with. We have to do certain things in certain orders and some routines cannot be changed or else we would have not just a period of abbdabs but an entire day of them.

I'm hoping, like you, that it's a developmental stage to do with feeling in control. I know that my DD hates being little and hates other people treating her like a child/idiot, she also hates change and combined it all makes her feel out of control.

An example. She eats and drinks from normal cutlery and crockery but in the morning she still has milk in her anywayupcup. It's the first thing she asks for when she gets up, you have to put the cup on the tabe, she lies on the sofa in the same place with a cushion under her head, there cannot be anything else on the sofa. She drinks her milk in around 45 seconds then drops the cup on the floor. I can try to change this but she will cry and scream and cry and scream, be sick, cough, retch, lie on the floor and she won't forget it all day.

I know that I could spend a week weaning her off the behaviour but it's easier for me to go along with it, the whole thing takes three minutes from start to finish and it's over for the rest of the day. i'm sure she'll have grown out of it by the time she's ten, if she hasn't she can get her blimmin milk herself!!! The long and short of this behaviour is that I think "so what???", no child was scared for life for drinking milk out of an unsuitable receptacle..... although the 'playgroup mothers' would probably disagree ;)

Now, I think the difference is that this foible is short and sweet, your DS's foible is going to affect your family at least three times a day, it will affect him at nursery, at friend's houses, at school..... and so I do feel that it's worth tackling rather than ignoring.

I would worry that it's a perpetuating thing where he just gets his plate layout right and looks for something else to focus on, his chair is right and so he looks at your chair... next week is it going to be the cutlery? He does sound so familiar to me in that he's willing to make a fight out of something for the sake of it and he's obviously treating this like a very serious hobby. If I knew the answer to your problem I'd be happier myself because we have the same thing going on here to a lesser degree. If I could understand my own DD2 I would be much more qualified to help you. There are just some children that aren't as straightforward as all the books or telly programmes would have you believe.

I'm hoping that with age will come more stable reasoning. I know that my own DD2 understands far too much of the wrong things and is too emotional to deal with a lot of things that life throws at her. She is incredibly sensitive to her own feelings and emotions and yet her emotional immaturity stops her from being able to control those feelings yet. Maybe I'm comparing him too closely to my own child but I get the feeling that there is a real similaity there.

Thursday, April 26th 2007, 10:26pm

Even favourites are not getting eaten at the moment. It's serious business, this crying!

Since we're pretty sure it's about him wanting to exert control, and that mealtimes are the times he gets the most attention, we're going to try completely ignoring him for the entire meal and if he doesn't eat, that's his problem. I just feel for DS2 who currently really enjoys his meals but has to cope with 100 decibels coming from the other side of the table. I'm half-tempted to take DS2's high chair into another room while DS1 can screech all on his own in the kitchen (where I can still see him, though, of course)!

Thursday, April 26th 2007, 10:40pm

Thanks for the wise advice Bells (and the wonderful word "abbdabs"!!). I'm not surprised that your DD2 and my DS1 are showing some similar things going on, seeing as they're only a month apart in age.

I'm glad to hear you think it's right to tackle it. I'm now hesitant to agree to any meals out with friends or to have any visitors at mealtimes at all because I'm just not ready for all this to go on in public. It can't go on because as you say it's going to have such an impact on our lives. I agree it's the wanting control but not having the emotional maturity to cope with it. You're also right about it being perpetuating - food first, plate next, his chair next. It's ludicrous what things he comes up with that he wants to be "just right". He certainly tells me not to look at him, and then also screams "why is [DS2] looking at me?" Err, why do you think? Because you're being noisy. So I look away and then he tells me to look at the table rather than out of the window. How does this affect eating cheese on toast? To him, hugely.

I don't know if trying to find certain areas of his life where he can have lots of control would help or whether that would fuel his fire to be more demanding at mealtimes. I already give him choices of clothes, choice of food, etc etc (but only ever a choice from two or three options not limitless), so I don't know how else to help him. He sometimes helps in getting the food ready or the table ready but other times he hates the idea. He's generally on an even keel until the meal looks really about ready.

He still hankers after being a baby, and tries to copy lots of things that DS2 does (the opposite of your DD2 Bells who just wants to grow up!). He'll wander around saying "dadada" because that's DS2's favourite "word", sometimes he asks me to carry him like I would carry DS2, he says he has a dirty nappy and asks me to change it (he wears no nappy and is always clean), etc. Does that help explain the behaviour? I can't see if it does because that would suggest he wants no control, unless he can't tell that babies don't have much control.

Sorry for the waffle. It's a bit of a preoccupation right now. An hour per meal - that's 3 hours to dread a day.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, April 26th 2007, 11:11pm

I've typed and deleted so many times...... I can relate to it all up to the last paragraph, the being a baby .... no, I tell a lie... it's exactly the same thing that happens here but with a younger sibling rather than a younger one. I have DD2 wanting to do the things that her older sister is doing, it must be the same thing.

I've told you before about the singing thing. If I hum along I get told "you can't sing!", if I carry on she will come over and put her hand over my mouth while saying "you can't sing you can't sing you can't sing!!!!" X( If I still carry on she will become slowly hysterical until she's screaming, throwing herself at me and unconsolable.

Last week DH had a word with her, it worked, sort of...... instead of "you can't sing you can't sing you can't sing!!!!" I got "No! you can dance No! you can dance No! you can DANCE!!!" :rolleyes: There's no reasoning with her, she doesn't listen and she can sit on the stairs 100 times a day but it doesn't help her get a rein on those darned emotions of hers.

Two days ago she got shouted at and told that Mummy can sing and that ****** must NOT shout at Mummy for singing!" he went over being naughty and being good, being silly and behaving, he had his best stern voice on.......it worked. She forgot about it a few times and went back to her usual antics but (and it pains me to say) I reminded her "what did Daddy say?" and she tolerated my signing while visibly twitching because she wanted to tell me not to. Like a puppy being trained not to chew a sofa she eventually ignored my singing.

Take from that what you will. I tried the new age reasoning, I tried ignoring, I tried sitting on the stairs and it doesn't work with this one, it was a case of "wait till your Father gets home" that got the results I needed.

He does have handcuffs, a baton and CS spray though...... :D

Sunday, April 29th 2007, 9:54pm

Thanks Bells. I guess I'm reassured! Your situation is similar in a different way. I know *exactly* what you mean about "visibly twitching" as they tolerate something that isn't going their way - very funny if you can get passed the awfulness of the moment/hour. ;)

Today was even worse and I don't think I even want to go into details on a public forum. I just hope that each day, a tiny smidge of "we're in control, you're not" is sinking into his head. However, we *should* be giving him control over various bits of his life, shouldn't we, to make him feel a bit more grown up. It's finding the bits that he can do, and keeping other things in our control. But half of him is wanting to be grown up and the other half is wanting to be a baby. At least in your situation, the whole of DD2's being is wanting to be more grown up. I'm not saying that's easier, but at least it's more consistent (inasmuch as a small child can be consistent). Give me strength - I'm finding this sooooooo hard. :( :rolleyes: 8)

Tuesday, May 1st 2007, 7:56pm

Oh hun sorry this is still going on for you. Not sure what to suggest really, does he enjoy helping in the kitchen if its more of a game would this help??? xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Wednesday, May 9th 2007, 10:46pm

Just a quick update...

I have resorted to sending him out into the hall and shutting the kitchen door if he cried loudly (there's a big difference between "normal" crying and this trying-it-on crying). The key was *shutting the door completely*. He absolutely hates it when it's shut and he can't get in (I'm so pleased he can't use that door handle - it's really stiff). He hasn't been out to the hall (make that "carried out into the hall kicking and screaming") for three days now. We still have discussions that are quite heated at times, and he still gets upset about some little things, but we're so much better. Today, at lunchtime, he helped to put his sandwiches on his plate. Whereas three weeks ago, he would have screamed if there wasn't enough space for all of them on the plate, today, he calmly placed the last two on top of the rest like a tower!!! Not just touching, but towering! :rolleyes: :D

I hope we're on the way out of this episode. I know it's not over, but I hope we've turned the corner. :( ?( 8)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 9th 2007, 10:52pm

Oh good!

If it's any help I can visualise the 'carried out of the room kicking and screaming' thing because we did it for the last time... *looks at clock* about six hours ago :rolleyes:

Today's overreaction was because she did NOT want a spoon to eat her strawberries, she wanted a fork. I got her a fork and put the spoon on the table only that wasn't good enough.... oh no.... she wanted me to put the spoon in the kitchen. After 10 minutes of 'that cry' she went out into the hall.

Does it make you feel better to know that it's not just you? It certainly makes me feel better that it's not just me!!!

Reg: Mar 13th 2006

Children: 1 DD

Thursday, May 10th 2007, 6:55am

My DH is 27 and still hates food touching on his plate his mum thought he would grow out it but he hasnt.

My DD is 6 next week and is also a bit like that.
1 DD
2 X MC 07 ECTOPIC 07
IVF MAR 08 22 EGGS,FROZEN DUE TO OHSS
FET AUG O8 BFP BUT ECTOPIC
FET MAR 09 - BFN

Saturday, May 12th 2007, 11:09pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bells
because we did it for the last time... *looks at clock* about six hours ago :rolleyes:

Does it make you feel better to know that it's not just you? It certainly makes me feel better that it's not just me!!!

Oh yes, I feel loads better for that, thanks!!! DS1 has a priceless (if intensely irritating at the time) habit of being able to drop to the ground like a lump of jelly within about half a second of realising that going out into the hall *is* going to be a reality. It's sooo hard to pick him up!

He got taken out twice today. He ate his yoghurt with a fork today, so I know all too well your example Bells of spoon vs fork!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 12th 2007, 11:17pm

Oh the fork vs spoon episode is so yesterday! :D Today's episode was over her wanting me to take her some milk upstairs. I stood at the bottom of the stairs with the cup and told her to come and get it but she stood at the top of the stairs screaming and shouting "I can't get it, you have to bring it!". I offered to meet her halfway but no, not good enough :no:. It was a stalemate until Dad intervened again and told her that the milk was going down the sink if she did NOT come and get it!!!

I was SO good as disclipline but this child has me tearing my hair out!!!!

Will they ever realise that compromise is easier than fighting???

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, May 12th 2007, 11:20pm

Oh and the lump of jelly thing *nodding furiously* :D YES!!! You can't pick them up can you???? Last episode of the 'jelly drop' was tonight at bedtime!

DD does not like you to lift her up or carry her down from bed/sofa/steps. If you lift her to help her she runs right back to where she initially was and does it herself. Often, there's no point in trying to lift her from the 'jelly drop' as she will have to go right back to where she started and walk/climb herself.

Hohoho! :rolleyes:

Monday, May 14th 2007, 3:51pm

lmao at DD2 going back to where you picked her up so that she can do it herself.

I picked up the lump of jelly yesterday teatime to take him out to the hall but carried him with both my arms so that he couldn't accuse me of hurting him (it never does but he knows to try to say it) and he managed to hit me full in the face. I didn't have a very good day yesterday but that made it even worse.

Today, he asked about 20 times for lettuce in his cream cheese sandwich. Then, as soon as it was on the table, he screamed and yelled and cried (and ended up in the hall behind closed doors) because he *didn't* want lettuce in his sandwich. Then, after sandwiches were finished, when he asked for a bit of Daddy's fruit (having just had a load of his own), DH said "yes if you eat two pieces of lettuce" (lettuce smeared all over the table :rolleyes: ). Lettuce eaten within 10 seconds with the comment "I like lettuce". :rolleyes: The most consistent thing about a 3-year old is that they're never consistent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cookie

Superstar

Monday, May 14th 2007, 5:00pm

clap well said limpet! :D

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE