You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Binky

Star

• "Binky" started this thread

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 9:12pm

What are smiley faces???????? lol

Will have to have a look for the rice sachets sounds good. I normally make double of things and freeze them.

Yeah Jamie Oliver great!!!!

So what do you guys normally feed your LO on a weekly basis as well as fast food (at home not McD's)

L has things like tuna pasta bake
Sunday dinner
a midweek dinner
roast chicken salad
Spag bol (own receipe)
Sheperds pie
mild chicken curry

I need some new ideas though I'm bored with them and hope she's not used to them.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 9:24pm

M&D have on a weekly basis.

Omelette & beans (Daddy does the best Omelette!)

Scrambled egg & beans

Roast dinner & veg

Toad in the hole with mash

Lasagne, Shep pie, Spag bowl

Salmon & mash or new pots mashed

Cod & mash & veg

loads of mash (carrot & swede one (made by Tesco!!)

parsnips,peas,carrots,broc are their main veg

& loads of fruit, they go through a punnet of blueberries in 2 days! 8o they both cost a fortune!! love strawberries,yogurts,bananas,satsumas,grapes,raspberries & litle boxes of raisins dried fruit.

In waitrose they do "LIttle Dishes" just pure ingredients, no added stuff. They love the fish pie, spag bol & have just bought Chicken Korma & rice, they haven't had rice yet, far to difficult to feed themselves rice!!

I get so bored sometimes they had omelette tonight & last night!
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "lisaw2308" (May 31st 2007, 9:26pm)

Binky

Star

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 10:33pm

yeah L loves blueberries too she goes through lots of fruit, strawberries are her fav.

she has them with natural yougart. I carry a tub of dried cranberrys and raisans around with me for snaxs 4 her. some of the boxes and packets of dried fruit adds hydrogenated fats, so i buy the organic ones and put them in a small tub, it works out cheaper in the long run.

she loves all veg except broccolli and cabbage. She would live on vine cherry tom's if i let her.

I really must try more fish for her, i'm not a lover of fish but dh is.

It's hard to think of different things for them, especially when feeding the full family!

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Friday, June 1st 2007, 11:50am

What a good idea!! Hope you don't mind me splitting this thread!!

Mine eat......

For Breakfast...

Weetabix, Porridge, Shredded Wheat, Toast!!

For Lunch

Jacket Pot with a variety of fillings, beans/toms/spaggheti on toast, sarnies, crackers with cheese.Followed by yoghurt (greek or little rachels) OR fruit, usually some form of berry fruit, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries!!

For Dinner

Roast dinner, pasta and cheese and tom/carbonara/bolognaise sauce, macaroni cheese, Fish (cod/salmon) with pots and veg, shepherds pie. Then fruit and yog again, or a milky pudding made without sugar.

Snacks

Dried Fruit, bread sticks, crackers, fruit.

I struggle to get them to eat salad, they just aren't interested, nor do they much like rice, yet they used to love rice with peas and cheese!!

For drinks they only have water and Milk......although nanny gives them tea 8o
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Friday, June 1st 2007, 12:27pm

bad mother alert here...
for breakfast:
taost with hoops, or beans, or scrambled eggs on the weekend
cereal (rice crispies, coco pops, cornflakes or porridge in the week plus toast)

snacks
rich tea biscuits, grapes, strawberries, banana, bread sticks, apple, orange, rice cakes(plain), yoghurts

lunch or dinner (one a day at least hot, then usually a "picnic plate" for the other one
cottage pie, home made with lots of veg
roast chicken in gravy and potatoes, and veg
sausages " " " " "
penne pasta in cheese sauce(sains three cheese sauce) , with peas, ham etc chucked through for good measure
penne pasta with home made bolognaise sauce
lasagne (home made)
rice, tuna and peas in cheese sauce (she likes a bit of cheese sauce lol)- i adapt this for me and shove cracked black pepper and fresh parsely in after i have served hers up
fish fingers with potato gems or oven chips
birds eye crispy chicken breast fillet, mini toms, olives and cheese
mini pizzas with beans or hoops
picnic plate:
olives, grapes, cheese, ham or mini sausage or cold chicken breast, bread sticks or a few crisps, mini tomatoes and a couple of carrot sticks

if dd has dessert (two or three times a week) other than just a yoghurt, its a bit of icecream, or a cupcake if we have made them, or an M & S gingerbread man.
her favourite is a little bowl of custard with wedges of banana in it.
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Friday, June 1st 2007, 1:24pm

That doesn't sound like a bad mother Vege, it looks like a perfrectly well rounded diet. My friend made a huge mistake with her DD, she was scared of weaning and fed her very limited all processed diet, hence when she was about 4/5 all she would eat was sausage/ nuggets and chips (and silly friend pandered to this).

I learnt from this and Jake has been raised on a varied healthy diet (with a little guidance from my fave lady Annabel Karmel). He eats similar to Strawb as above, most of the time a healthy meal and he snacks on fruit all of the time but i certainly don't beat myself up if I let him have the odd McDonalds (Don't all rush to kill me) or chicken nugget dinner.

xxx

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Friday, June 1st 2007, 1:37pm

Hi, what a great thread! Evelyn has a few food intolerances (including dairy, although, touch wood, this is getting better!) so it made weaning very interesting......!

Anyway,

Breakfast - toast and marmite, cereal, raisins

Lunch - really bog standard food, although all made by me (!) - spag bol, tuna pasta bake, cottage pie, sausage/mash/veg, something and rice, roast, have made a very nice chicken casserole for lunch today! Actually, I'm the casserole queen - hot, filling, nutrious, easy to get lots of disguised veg in and no dairy - woo hoo! Always fruit for pudding.

Tea - lighter meal - omelette, tomato pasta, beans on toast, ham and scrambled egg. Fruit for pudding or maybe a jaffa cake!

Fruit for snacks, other than when she's at nursery when they sometimes give her a rich tea biscuit!

Gets a bit repetitive - hoping to get lots of ideas from everyone else!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Pootle

Megastar

Friday, June 1st 2007, 1:39pm

Quoted

Originally posted by chicks
That doesn't sound like a bad mother Vege, it looks like a perfrectly well rounded diet. My friend made a huge mistake with her DD, she was scared of weaning and fed her very limited all processed diet, hence when she was about 4/5 all she would eat was sausage/ nuggets and chips (and silly friend pandered to this).

I learnt from this and Jake has been raised on a varied healthy diet (with a little guidance from my fave lady Annabel Karmel). He eats similar to Strawb as above, most of the time a healthy meal and he snacks on fruit all of the time but i certainly don't beat myself up if I let him have the odd McDonalds (Don't all rush to kill me) or chicken nugget dinner.

xxx

I have a friend too who was so scared by weaning that she went down the chicken nugget route - he's now 6 and eats that kind of processed food all the time.

I'm the same as you though - the odd meal like that doesn't hurt - everything in moderation (if only I could be that way with my food too!).

x

DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Friday, June 1st 2007, 6:10pm

dd is pretty good actually- she accepts that she can't have cocopops every day- but she doesn't understand why yet!

daddy dinners always consist of hoops and fish fingers or hoops on toast!
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

Friday, June 1st 2007, 8:40pm

Well we have just got back from a 2nd birthday party and my two have ate everything!!! They have had crisps 8o Cake, chocolate, jam sarnies, marshmallows 8o I nearly had heart failure but i'm sure they will survive!!! They where both given a chick nuggett and they both spat them out 8o
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Binky

Star

Friday, June 1st 2007, 9:21pm

It's great when they do that Diddle, I always do a little snigger lol. My cousins don't really care what they are giving their kids. Normally McD's sausage rolls etc, We were at my aunts and they tried to give Lib some sausage roll and she spat it out and retched lol, Then I had to explain she don't get them. They think I am weird as when they offer a biscuit for her I ask what kind it is and make sure its as plain as poss (nasty mummy). Busicuits in my house are called bread sticks lol.

Friday, June 1st 2007, 9:31pm

Yup me too!! Occasionaly they have a ginger nut but thats it!! Bread sticks and crackers all the way for us!! xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Binky

Star

Friday, June 1st 2007, 9:35pm

I think get away with giving them good food for as long as possible (hoping that they will never want rubbish!)

Friday, June 1st 2007, 9:45pm

Yes me too, but unfortunately they seem to like the rubbish! Must read more recipe ideas for them! xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, June 1st 2007, 9:58pm

Do it for as long as you can. When they start school and get a bit older it's so hard to convince them that their friend's bar of chocolate is less desirable than their bag of breadsticks and cheese. Big sisters have a lot to answer for too!!!

The longer you can pull the wool over their eyes the better but at some point they start thinking for themselves and when you're not with them there's not a lot you can do :rolleyes:

Binky

Star

Friday, June 1st 2007, 10:02pm

Arrrrghhhhhh don't say that bells lol!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, June 1st 2007, 10:20pm

Well sorry... but it's true :D

School dinners were 'chips, corn and a cake' until I put her onto packed lunches. Snacks are frequently exchanged.

When they're older and invited to parties every weekend where they either eat chicken nuggets and chips or spread/jam sandwiches plus cake plus crisps plus sweets and then they come home with a party bag that's filled with chocs and jellies and cakes.

We had that every weekend from the beginning of April until last weekend....!

It's lovely when you can choose what goes into their mouths so do take advantage, they soon get drawn into junk, just like we all do!!!

Binky

Star

Friday, June 1st 2007, 11:13pm

Yes i know and I dread it.

I was actually worrying the other day about her bringing friends home from school, as they may not like healthy food and want nuggets, turkey twizzlers smiley faces

and thats years away lol

TBH as long as when she chooses what she eats that she has 90-95% healthy I will be fine with that. A little of what you fancy does you good lol

BUT I will still try all the bribes with gold star charts and get her to count her five a day etc.

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Saturday, June 2nd 2007, 9:41am

Quoted

Originally posted by Binky
TBH as long as when she chooses what she eats that she has 90-95% healthy I will be fine with that. A little of what you fancy does you good lol

BUT I will still try all the bribes with gold star charts and get her to count her five a day etc.

Binky, that is just the attitude I have had with Jake and it has worked well. Until he was old enough to understand he thought Raisins and Dried Fruit were "sweeties". Yes he does eat the odd Junk meal and we have had the marathon of parties like Bells but I am happy that the majority of time he eats healthy. The great thing is that is his choice as well, several times he has been offered to eat out at McDonalds or the local Carvery, he chooses the Carvery every time and eats moutains of veg.

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

ellied

Monday, June 4th 2007, 11:37am

Breakfast

weatabix or oatabix followed by banana and then toast or muffin or crumpet.

A question - Is anyone else finding their nearly 2 yr old is a bit off cereal?

Hot food

Roasts - chick, pork etc. + gravy or ham with veg + butter
Veg pasta in tomato based sauce
Shepherd's pie - lamb or veg with red lentils
Chicken casserole
Cauliflower and brocco cheese
Cottage pie
Mild curry - chicken or veg
Lamb mince and olives with tomato based sauce
Fish pie

Snacks and sandwiches

Cheese - mature or cream sarnies
Tuna sarnies
Salmon sarnies
Marmite fingers
M and S salmon pate and toast
Humous and toast (very messy :rolleyes:)
Tara and toast
Cheese and biscuits
Ham

Grapes, banana and pear

Pootle

Megastar

Monday, June 4th 2007, 1:14pm

Yes, Evelyn will only eat dry cereal at the moment - milk on the side.......... :rolleyes:

DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Binky

Star

Monday, June 4th 2007, 7:45pm

Libby won't eat ceral at all, she has fruit and a natural yougart for breakfast.

Monday, June 4th 2007, 8:02pm

binky,

Does Libby like cereal left on highchair tray so she can help herself? like shreddies/ oatbix/toast/crumpet?

M&D for brekkie have

Ready Brek/toast/weetabix/oatbix/fruit/shreddies with warm milk

But now they self feed & it's soooo messy in the morning but I have to make the ready brek lumpy so it doesn't go everywhere!!! but still does!!

x
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

Binky

Star

Monday, June 4th 2007, 8:49pm

She used to like weetabix, but not anymore, she hardly eats anything in the morning, she is a bit like me, but will eat a bit of fruit and yoguart.

To be honest when I looked at how much sugar is added to some of them I am not too worried.

She eats a fair bit at lunch and tons at Dinner with a few snacks in between, but won't have supper either. Strange child ha ha.

Monday, June 4th 2007, 9:14pm

just a thought.

they do go off things don't they, just like variety like us!

she ain't strange!! some babies just don't like eating!!xx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, January 28th 2008, 3:14pm

I like to able to give the boys sandwiches but i struggle on what i can give - they like dairy lea, jam, and banana.
What about egg do i mix it with something ive seen they have had these in nursery and loved them but i dont want to ask incase they think im silly. But im just not sure about giving it.

What about sharing a few toddler recipies for us not so sure - easier the better.

The boys do ok but its all gettin a bit same old, spag bol, shepards pie, fish cakes, veg, they have lots of veg to pick at.
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, January 28th 2008, 8:51pm

DD likes ham or turkey on a sandwich and mashed up sardines in tomato sauce.

Have your boys tried curry yet? Fry onion and mushroom finely chopped with a bit of oil or melted butter, I always add garlic too. then stir in miced or finely chopped chicken or turkey or lamb, stir in some mild or medium curry powder, throw in a few tablespoons of rice and cover with hot water (or stock with little or no salt). Squidge in some tomato puree and let it simmer for 10 mins then its ready. I freeze this but you have to be really careful reheating rice, get it very hot and let it cool to make sure you kill any bacteria. I add other veg to this too like brocolli and peppers. I've also made virtually the same thing with lamb mince and a Morroccan spice blend I found in Tesco called Ras El Hanout, I added chopped dried apricots to that.

Monday, January 28th 2008, 9:16pm

oooh time to play again after so long!

for work nights, predictable and not great but M &S spag bol (then dh and i fight over what she does not eat as it is lovely and i hate readymeals)

one of two fish pies- either the cheesy asda one for kids, or the eat fussy annabel karmel one. I have tried to make my own but am no substitute for asda clearly :rolleyes:

on mummy is at home nights (dd is a little bit older so this isn't vetted for choke hazards):
corn on cob, salmon fillet steamed in foil in oven (I just put a splash of water before making the foil into a pack then baking for 15 mins) with boiled or mashed potatoes and steamed cauli (hates broccoli bless her, but so good at trying stuff I would never make her eat something she doesn't like!)

or
if we are all three home maybe a roast chicken, gravy, as many colourd verg as poss and I take her roasties out early. she is a trooper and does not like yorkies which means all the more for dh!

or

a cheesy sauce (she just loves cheesy sauce but hates cheese so I try to make one with as much milk and cheese as possible for calcium) mixed with pasta and some peas and corn chucked in

or

above cheesy sauce mixed with rice, tuna, peas (loves peas :rolleyes:)

or

today we were at home and made something new, off the cuff no recipe, just fried off onions, leeks, tiny chopped mushrooms (as apparently she "hates" them) chicken breast, bacon, a little white wine, peas, carrots, a little flour and milk and pepper, she rolled out some pastry and we made a chicken pie- which she ate because she helped with it and although she does not eat leeks, mushrooms, onion etc, somehow the pie went from her plate!

or
home made cottage pie
fab as you can put cheese through the mash (calcium)
add your own veg puree to the sauce part along with thinly sliced carrots, peppers, onion, garlic, tined tomatoes- and if you let it cool in the fridge you can actually slice it and wrap and freeze the slices. fab

another work night one is fish fingers and beans still. she is not interested in chips or anything similar

green pasta is another hit (pesto from the jar- mixed with pasta fresh cooked and chuck in a few black olives

can I just say that on my work days dd has had a healthy "five a day" lunch at pre school though?

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Monday, January 28th 2008, 10:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper
DD likes ham or turkey on a sandwich and mashed up sardines in tomato sauce.

Have your boys tried curry yet? Fry onion and mushroom finely chopped with a bit of oil or melted butter, I always add garlic too. then stir in miced or finely chopped chicken or turkey or lamb, stir in some mild or medium curry powder, throw in a few tablespoons of rice and cover with hot water (or stock with little or no salt). Squidge in some tomato puree and let it simmer for 10 mins then its ready. I freeze this but you have to be really careful reheating rice, get it very hot and let it cool to make sure you kill any bacteria. I add other veg to this too like brocolli and peppers. I've also made virtually the same thing with lamb mince and a Morroccan spice blend I found in Tesco called Ras El Hanout, I added chopped dried apricots to that.

I love curry, haven't tried boys yet, but i will be now.

thank you x

Oh vegemite boys like the asda fish dishes too, x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Binky

Star

Monday, January 28th 2008, 10:15pm

I have actually been to see a dietician today for myself but I asked a few questions about dd as I have been worried that 1. she eats the same most lunch times and 2. she doesn't eat alot. :rolleyes:

She replied saying if she eats it (the repetative lunch) don't worry, its healthy - I give a sandwhich with wholemeal bread and meat, cheese, fruit and yoguat or wholemeal toast with beans.

She also said that processed food is okay some of the time - I have been getting myself into a tiss as I cook everything myself no packaged/processed food for dd, but sometimes when dh and I arn't hungry I don't want to be cooking a full meal for dd, so 100% chicken breasts in bread crumbs (less additives the better) is okay, etc.

So as vege says, as long as they get there five a day, its okay to give yourself a break and break out the boxes once in a while. :D

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, January 28th 2008, 10:23pm

I'm with Veg on the M&S spag bol, its gorgeous. They also do some lovely chicken teddies that are just nice ingredients and no rubbish.

Monday, January 28th 2008, 10:38pm

well quite frankly binky if it is short term two a day will be fine just make the third a juice and the fourth a fruit puree in the icecream :D

when we were on our adopt prep course the adopter speaking said her dd ate nothing but yoghurt for three weeks, and of course as a new parent she felt awful but actually told the social workers lol and then she got over it, her little girl, the tick to me is the more colourful the better and "my child won't touch" is a challenge to "put a little bit on their plate ten times, after five times ask them to smell it, after seven mix a bit of that food pureed into their dinner after eight ask them to touch it with thier tongue and on nine and ten a bite with a big cheer"

if, after a few more days or moments of that then they still don't want that food o veg, fine! we all have foods we hate

Binky

Star

Monday, January 28th 2008, 10:46pm

:O I wasn't having a go! - I was agreeing with you sorry if I offended you. Just didn't explain myself very well.

Monday, January 28th 2008, 11:05pm

:rolleyes: i was just waffling advice back and never took any offence ?( I had a big weekend now dd is unsettled so up and down stairs and bit all over place

i think it is geat to get a dietition etc as it is so reassuring how normal most of us are!
xx

Pootle

Megastar

Monday, January 28th 2008, 11:10pm

E likes the M&S spag bol too (and so do I.........!). I usually keep a couple of M&S meals in the freezer for E for those evenings when I get in from work and really, truly can't face cooking!

DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, January 29th 2008, 8:15am

I've recently read somewhere that left to their own devices children will eat very healthily all by themselves. OK they might eat nothing but fruit one day and the next day just want cheese or pasta and some days hardly anything at all, but of you look at that over say 2 weeks, its actually very well balanced nutritionally. I think we probably worry too much, I know I do.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, January 29th 2008, 9:26am

Our long-time big winner are meatballs!
You make a big batch, stick it in the freezer and then just defrost the amounts that you need!
That with frozen peas is the best quick meal there is!

Get some rolled oats or a couple of slices or old bread and soak it in a bit of milk for 5 min or so...
mix in one egg, bit of pepper and some herbs
Mix in your mince but don't overwork it. Let stand for 5 min.
Roll meatballs with wet hands and fry. If you want to you can just seal them in a pan and then cook them in the oven.
If they won't work round then just make toddler sized patties.

These are great in a packed lunch too. Pack from frozen and eat cold! Yummy!!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

mrsjasper

Megastar

Tuesday, January 29th 2008, 9:38am

Thats sounds great Torisen. We are getting into things we can all eat together. Last night we had rissotto which DD ate herself with a teaspoon. Your meatballs sound yummy. Before long she will be able to help make them too.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, January 29th 2008, 9:48am

I eat the meatballs too :P Just sneak on a bit of salt afterwards!

We make hamburgers the same way too! Z just gets a mini one on brown bread :D
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Reg: Mar 6th 2006

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 4:24pm

have you tried grated apple in with your meatballs, that is really yummy!
Melanie
1st IUI cylce 10 March 06 BFN
2nd IUI cycle 19th June 06 BFN
3rd IUI cycle 6th Sep 06 BFN
4th IVF 31st March at St Barts :BFP:

Daisy born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.16am 4lb 13.5 oz
Nuala born @ 35wks 20/12/07 12.18am 5lb 10oz

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 6:12pm

Quick, easy, nutritious and cheap:

Spaghetti with:

One can chair de tomate
one finely chopped salted anchovy
one clove garlic
3 tbspn green lentils
Olive Oil

Put spaghetti onto cook
Melt anchovy over low heat in olive oil
Add garlic saute
Add lentils and a few tbspn cooking water from spaghetti
With wooden spoon crush the lentils as much as you fancy
Add tomatoes
Maybe a few herbs if you have them
Drain pasta and mix as much of the sauce as you fancy with it.
Top with parmesan

Hey presto, hopefully you'll get clean plates like we do.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 8:12pm

Is chair de tomate posh for chopped tomatoes or is it something fancy I, in my uncivilised way, have never heard of? I hate anchovies, and I would hate Mooch to smell of them, but I will try that with sardines in oil or something similar. She'd love it.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 8:12pm

Is chair de tomate posh for chopped tomatoes or is it something fancy I, in my uncivilised way, have never heard of? I hate anchovies, and I would hate Mooch to smell of them, but I will try that with sardines in oil or something similar. She'd love it.

Rivka

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 6:33pm

Chair de tomate is a tin of tomatoes but a particular type which you don't need to reduce to get full flavour. Also Sardines in this dish would make it a completely different thing, still very tasty but different. When you melt an a salted anchovy over a low heat it almost completely disaapears and loses a lot of its intensit but adds depth to the tomato sauce. Mooch wouldn't smell but your chopping boards would need a good scrub. try it, what can it hurt?

Binky

Star

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 8:00pm

I am tempted to try it, but I have never used/eaten anchovies before, and I really don't like fish. Is there anchovies in worchester sauce? because I like that.

Rivka

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 8:03pm

Yep worchester sauce has anchovies in it. Cooked this way you won't notice the fishyness in the finished dish - I promise. Add one anchovy to almost any homemade pasta sauce and it will be ten times tastier. Its good in a bolognese.

Binky

Star

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 8:05pm

I add worchester sauce to bolognese, but I may try the anchovy, its not the taste of fish but the thought of biting on a bone, silly I know. Oh and the last time I tried monkfish it had a worm in it.

Rivka

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 8:08pm

If you use enough olive oil and a low enough heat the fish and bones should dissolve and you're just left with the essence yum yum

Binky

Star

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 8:09pm

you have convinced me to give it a try.

Rivka

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 8:14pm

good, my work here is done :snigger:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE