You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 6:40pm

As you've discovered toast is always good, cut it into fingers and let them gum away. J didn't really get on with toast but he does LOVE brocolli, give them a florette with stalk (cauliflower works too) we also tried sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, papaya, mango, melon, apple, pears (he LOVES pears) and avocado. It takes a bit of experimentation to get the texture right as I tended to overdo things and they would squish in his hand rather than his mouth but it's fun trying. We've just moved onto pasta, I didn't get the texture right this time round but he enjoyed sucking the sauce off.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 8:43pm

We also started off with a mixture of spoon feeding, and BLW. I think some of the first finger foods we gave L were banana, avocado, mango, strawberries, toast, cucumber. We cut them into wedge shapes, and with things like banana, kept the peel on, round the bottom bit, to give her a 'handle'. Broccoli and cauliflower are also good, as they have 'handles'!

We gradually moved over to doing more BLW, lunch being the first meal, which is usually sandwiches, fruit, cucumber etc. We gave ready brek, or weetabix, from a spoon for a while, with fruit as finger food, or toast. We did spoon feed her tea for a couple of months or so, but always offered somthing as finger food, as part of the meal.

By around 8 months (ish!), she was getting on so well with BLW. So we stopped the mashing and spoonfeeding, and started putting her food on her tray. For breakfast she usually has bit size shredded wheat, dipped in milk, and fruit. Lunch, mini pittas, or boiled/scrambled egg/sarnies/cheese on toast etc. And for tea, whatever we have! Spag bol, chilli, roast dinner...etc, everything goes on the tray! Pasta, with a sauce is a good option if there is the odd time we want something different.

I'm so glad we have done BLW. L loves her food, her pincer grip/fine motor skills are really good, and it's lovely when we put food on her tray, and she chooses what she wants to eat first! We've had bbq's, picnics, meals out, all with no stress, infact mealtimes are really relaxed! (especially as H is enjoying his food at the moment too!!).

I am glad though, that she is also happy to eat from a spoon, as I do think this gives a bit of flexibility. We still spoon feed yogurt, although I've tried to offer her a loaded spoon, to which she shows no interest, she sits with her mouth open, looking at me! Oh, and a couple of times she has tried to move her head towards the spoon in my hand! Dh's parents look after H and L once a week. His mum is quite nervous about finger food etc, and feeds her readybrek, and her egg for lunch. L is happy with this, and I don't mind, it's once a week, they are looking after our children for us, and she feels comfortable, and happier doing this, so the BLW/spoonfeeding combo works in this situation for us.

Anyway, I'm rambling! Enjoy starting BLW with your girls Mavis xxx

<

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Sunday, July 11th 2010, 9:12pm

Thought I'd add some pics of Lily enjoying her food!

The early days of BLW a picnic in the garden I love my strawberries! 1st BBQ! Messy, but fun! Out for Sunday lunch!

<

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, July 12th 2010, 8:12am

Aaww, she is lovely. And she really loves her strawberries doesn't she!

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, July 12th 2010, 10:00am

Quick question - J hasn't really got the hand coordination to use a pincer grip and he also can't work out that if he picks up something mushy it's in the palm of his hand and he has to open his hand to get to it. I spoon feed him pretty lumpy food in addition to the BLW and he is getting to the point when he wants to feed himself the stuff in the bowl but can't work out how to get it from the bowl to his mouth, he grabs a handful and then ends up with a closed fist at his mouth getting very frustrated as he can't work out where the food has gone. With his fingerfood of course there is always a bit sticking out the top for him to suck on but mushier food doesn't do this. Is there any way I can help him work out how to get stuff out of a bowl because he's getting really, really angry with it and when he gets angry he tends to throw the handful at food and wail.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Monday, July 12th 2010, 4:32pm

Hmm, I'm not sure about this, Grace. To be honest I think it's probably a question of time. He'll become so much more dextrous - getting that pincer grip too - in the next few weeks but until he is I don't think there's much you can do about him feeding himself mushy stuff.

Of course, he'll become more dextrous whether you give him finger food / mush or not but maybe just persevering with it (and putting up with food up the walls) will encourage him to get there that little bit quicker?

You could try showing him how to scoop it up using his hand like a paddle, I suppose, ?( but I find with L he can only do what he can do and I can show him a different way to do something till I'm blue in the face but if it's beyond him, he just can't do it.

The other thing to suggest is to give him finger food to eat himself whilst you're spoon-feeding him, but I imagine you're doing that already.
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE