You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "cookie" started this thread

Monday, April 21st 2008, 1:08pm

next stage milk???

hello ladies!

i know that babies get a store of iron from their mothers that lasts until they are 6 months-ish and it isnt long till H is 6 months....alot of my friends are going on to the 6month+ milks/ next stage milks because they have extra iron in them...do you think it is worth it??? H doesnt have a very varied diet, recently she has gone backwards instead of forwards with her weaning so im not sure she is getting everything that she needs.

what do you think???

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cookie" (Apr 21st 2008, 1:12pm)

cookie

Superstar

Monday, April 21st 2008, 4:54pm

bermp :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Monday, April 21st 2008, 5:21pm

TBH as L was such a good eater I never bothered with follow on milk. Will H eat leafy veg and fruit etc? If you are worried she isn't getting enough I don't think it can do any harm to give her it. 6 months already though!! :8o:

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

cookie

Superstar

Monday, April 21st 2008, 5:31pm

still got 9 days to go but yep....6 months already... flies by doesnt it?

tbh she isnt eating well at all. she has gone back to having baby rice since she was ill, she gags on most foods now & she liked them all before...tried her with carrot and sweet pot on saturday and it was like i was making her suck lemons, she hated it.

im taking her to be weighed on thursday so ill see what the hv says but it looks like a good option to me too. might try baby led weaning first....do you think they have to be bang on 6 months old??? ?(

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Monday, April 21st 2008, 6:20pm

Have to say hun that we bought the 6+ milk and aftera couple of icky nappies and A's face trying to poo we went back to the first milk, and still are using it. he has so much fruit and veg in his diet now that the extra iron isn't really needed. I'd stick with yours if I was you as the change might upset her tummy.

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Monday, April 21st 2008, 7:55pm

We moved onto follow on milk when the twins reached 6 months, but only due to the fact that B had such a rubbish diet, and refused pretty much everything but milk. We felt she could do with the extra iron. Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but we put J on it too ... More for ease than anything else newshy

Thinking about it now, we could probably go back to the ordinary stuff now she's eating ... But don't know if that'll upset their tums ?(

I don't know what the effects of excess iron are, both babies get constipated every now and then ... But I think that's more to do with not enough water, than the milk.

I wouldn't do it before 6 months K, she'll have plenty of iron to last her till at least 6 months (I reckon)

Why don't you try her with some broccoli, spinach etc ... see if she takes to them. If in a months time, she's still on quite a limited diet (which is perfectly fine ... ) then switch to the follow on milk. Even if it's just so that you can relax about her iron intake

Binky

Star

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Monday, April 21st 2008, 9:47pm

I was told that the only difference between the follow on milk/ second stage milk is either negligible or just a bulking agent and is not worth the money and can cause more problems than good. I can remember actually looking at the side of the tins (although was a few years ago now) and remember there wasn't much difference.

The vitamins and minerals that she now needs will be given to her through her food when you wean her.

I personally wouldn't bother.

x

Monday, April 21st 2008, 10:02pm

Are you on aptimal?
Think I remember comparing the iron between stage 1 & 2 and it wasn't much different

KIRSTY G

Monday, April 21st 2008, 10:05pm

Proper confised now ?(

Stage 1 is from newborn
Stage 2 is the hungry baby stuff
Stage 3 is the Iron enriched one

That's for Aptamil

Never looked at the difference between 1&2 to be honest, and kind of just assumed that the difference between 2 and 3 would be a fair bit

Monday, April 21st 2008, 10:14pm

Oops meant 1 & 3 - only tried the hungry baby once

KIRSTY G

Monday, April 21st 2008, 10:22pm

Quoted

Originally posted by cazzmo
Oops meant 1 & 3 - only tried the hungry baby once

Really??? That's surprising ... How can they say it's enriched with extra iron, and vitamins and then not put any in? :8o:

Just shows then, that it doesn't make a difference ... As much as I was sucked in, i've read that they have sufficient stores of iron to last them to 12 months

Monday, April 21st 2008, 10:24pm

it was more but not a huge amount. A has plenty of veg etc so I think the extra iron in that milk affected him poo wise. We swapped back, in fact the carton's there nearly full. I should chuck it really.

cookie

Superstar

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 5:21pm

H is on aptamil 1 at the mo...i wouldnt try the aptamil 2 as she isnt a very hungry baby really, ill hold fire for now and ask my hv on thursday. thanks for all your help ladies, it does sound likely that i will stay with number 1 :D 'if it aint broken.....' and all that.

i have just tried her with some cheese, she loved it.....seems she doesnt like mush all that much and who can blame her? ill wait another week then try her with the babyled weaning like you have done with B kirsty...she might not need any extra vits if she starts eating properly again.

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 6:25pm

A can't have cheese :sadface:.
Makes him sick bless

KIRSTY G

Tuesday, April 22nd 2008, 9:20pm

Quoted

Originally posted by willow
i'll wait another week then try her with the babyled weaning like you have done with B kirsty...she might not need any extra vits if she starts eating properly again.

thumbup

It's lovely to watch them get excited about food again ...

Start a diary in the weaning section, and i'll give you a hand if you need it ...

cookie

Superstar

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 11:19am

8) cool thanks hun! oh poor A! mind you it isnt the end of the owrld that he cant have cheese....theres plenty he can have :hugs:

i have a carton of no1 aptamil infront of me, and carton of number 3!

heres the difference...typical values per 100ml of feed.

.....................no1 has......................no3 has
vit e 1.2mg
vit c 8.6mg
thiamin (b1) 0.04mg
riboflavin (b2) 0.1mg
niacin (b3) 0.79mg...................0.83mg
vit b6 0.04mg...................0.04mg
folic acid 12...........................15
vit b12 0.21........................0.16
biotin 0.002mg.................0.002mg
pantothenic acid 0.28mg.................0.3mg
vit k1 4.5.........................5.4
calcium 51mg......................83mg
phosphorus 29mg......................51mg
iron 0.7mg.....................1.3mg
magnesium 5mg........................7.0mg
zinc 0.5mg.....................0.91mg
iodine 10...........................12
potassium 74mg......................101mg
chloide 46mg......................56mg
copper 33...........................50
manganese 8.4..........................11
selenium 1.4..........................1.5
choline 10mg......................8mg
taurine 6.7mg.....................5mg
nucleotides 2.8mg.....................2.8mg

so there is a bit more iron in the 3, but would it be worth it mmmmmm

ill ask tomorrow and let you know what the hv said.

love k xxx

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 3:54pm

0.6g?
pah Wouldn't bother with it

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 1:58pm

lmao

#3 apparantly has more of everything in it than #1

but how can that be if the total weight is the same?!

anyway - both of my sons were/are on soy formulations as the eldest is allergic to milk

with Isomil Soy there are only two formulations - 1st is from 0-12 months, 2nd is from 12+ onwards where the fat content is a bit higher

cookie

Superstar

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 2:10pm

all of these trace ellements are in a demineralised water & skimmed milk base, so i suppose they just use a weeny bit less and put more gubbins in :snigger:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "cookie" (May 2nd 2008, 2:11pm)

cookie

Superstar

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 2:41pm

forgot to say actually, my HV has avised i keep with the no1....no need to swap it, she was confident that once she starts weaning properly she will come on well.

xxx

Reg: Nov 18th 2006

Children: 1 toddler, Billy

Thursday, May 8th 2008, 3:07pm

I have started Billy on the 2nd stage milk now he is only on 3 bottles a day and 3 little meals a day, he seems to prefer it to his old milk and I used up what was left of the old milk in his cereals and for mixing with rusks / rice etc :) he definetly prefers the 2nd stage milk!
Married to a gorgeous man. Mummy to a gorgeous boy born 31.10.07 & beautiful girl born 25.08.09 - both conceived with the help of Clomid
x Never been happier x

Reg: Jul 5th 2006

Thursday, May 8th 2008, 7:33pm

hi there

I asked my HV whether I should swap at the 9month check and she said to stick with the 1st one- she reckoned it was a marketing ploy to get BF babies onto formula sooner and there was no real difference.

Well, we have no more sickness, but now T refuses to eat full stop. He shakes his head at the spoon, and has only just managed 12 oz milk all day. Hope this doesn't continue as I am used to him being such a greedy little monkey.

Also, can hear one of their musical toys very very faintly somewhere, but do you think I can find it!! Driving me nuts and DH is out tonight so will really bug me!!

got the long settling in day tomorrow at nursery, from 10-3 for them to have lunch and a sleep. Not hopeful on either front, but hope they stick it out as I managed to get a last minute 'going back to work' haircut booked in! Might rebel and dye it purple and shave half my head so they send me home on my first day back............ :snigger:

Rosie
x
me 32 PCOS, DH 39 all good
trying for 3.5 years, 12 months clomid, 1 m/c April 05, Fresh IVF March 06 BFN, FET Oct 06 BFP - Twins!! Littlebits born 29.05.07 and 30.05.07 :]

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Thursday, May 8th 2008, 9:52pm

:snigger: Rosie your funny if you do pls post a pic x x
I hope Nursery goes well :smile:
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE