You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "tinkerbell" started this thread

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 7:09pm

BABY LED WEANING

I found out about this and think its extremely interesting....I ahve bee giving JJ finger food from 6 months as he loves it......but maybe I can go further than I thought

http://www.abm.me.uk/weaningresearch.htm

HAs anyone done this...........

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 7:32pm

Hi Tinkerbell, I'd heard about this and it sounds fab but unfortuantly I couldn't breast feed and they dont reccomend it for bottle fed babies i'm not sue why? I would definately have liked to do this, rather than bother with pureeing and spoons, bowls etc, and if you think about it babies hundreds and hundreds of years ago etc wouldn't ever be fed with spoons, if you do it I would be interested to find out how you go xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 7:33pm

Love that Tinks!!!! :))

Lulu, it does say that you can do this with bottle fed babies. I can't see why it would be any different.

ellied

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 11:33pm

There was an article in the last NCT magazine about it and I see they have this on their site

http://www.nctms.co.uk/prodshow.asp?id=1…=290&parent=231

For anyone who's had a child gag early on with textured puree it's hard to imagine how it works, but it does look like an interesting approach to weaning.

Binky

Star

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Tuesday, June 5th 2007, 11:59pm

This is very similar to how I weaned Libby, She started to grab food from my plate like cucumber for example at around 5-6 months, although when she started this I started making my own puree foods but I made them quite lumpy and froze them. At six and a half months she went off her food and to cut a long story short she did this because she wanted to feed herself and was doing so (not with cutlery) by 7 months, she has been in some states lol, orange all over from spag bol. We had alot of comments from others about her self feeding, good and bad. But she was/is happy, she stops when SHE is full and she eats what SHE whats too.

She started using a spoon or a folk at 13 months, (although far from perfect lol).

I would def give this ago, its great being able to sit together as a family and have a meal thats not cold or with a baby on your knee!

ellied

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 12:39pm

Here is a picture of the cover photo from the NCT mag that has an article on baby led weaning. I think the article is interesting, informative and probably very inspiring to people who are about to start weaning. However, I am a bit uncomfortable with the choice of cover photo. The child looks like it's taking on a stalk. Why not show them with something a bit less scary - like a peeled banana - in hand :baby:

http://www.nct.org.uk/newgen/

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 1:16pm

Its very interesting! I think I'd like to give it a go in fact with this new babe.

I think what they were saying about the difference between a bottle fed baby and a bf baby is that the bf baby "manages" its feeding already whereas perhaps a bottle fed baby is a more passive participant - don't know how true that is though.

With the gaggin thing they do also say that the babies aged 4 to 6 months weren't actually swalling anything so I suppose its a just a getting used to it process just as with spoon feeding.

fascinating and HOW cute does the baby look with its pear!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 1:22pm

Rivka, if I had the chance I know that I would follow this approach. It makes so much sense to me and seems 'easier' than all the faff associated with preparing those minute quantities of mush in sterile pots.

When you look at our weaning process objectively it seems strange that we fuss and try to 'teach' our children to eat very plain, soft, blended foods when, if we left it a bit longer, they would just learn to eat proper food themselves.

We're always rushing them into the next stage aren't we????

Yes..... mmmmmm ... I like this a lot.

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 1:54pm

I do actually agree with this, although I have one query, if they don't learn to take food off a spoon how do they learn to self feed using cutlery? Although L has been spoon fed aswell as having finger foods from around 6 months, how come when she feeds herself she prefers to tip it off the floor and pick it up with her hands while squatting caveman stylee??! :D

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 1:59pm

well DS still doesnt want to use a spoon himself - he is really not that bothered about feeding so unless we did it for him he wouldnt eat anything but drink from bottles and he is way too old for just that.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 1:59pm

Well..... WE normally feed them from a spoon for a bit and then we move onto finger foods, then after a few months we get them involved in spoon feeding so the basic principles are probably still the same. I would imagine that they learn where their mouth is quicker when they've always found it without a spoon, making using a spoon easier.

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 2:03pm

Apparently not for lolly, although she will spoon feed me :rolleyes:

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 2:10pm

ah bless :D

Rivka

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 2:32pm

cute! Plum tries to force feed me raspberries (covered in baby grime of course :rolleyes: yum)

This is of particular interest to me at the moment as my SIL has just started weaning her 12 week old because as she says "he's a hungrey baby". I have kept my opinion to myself as its her business but I think this is way to early and have you ever met a baby who wasn't hungry, shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong!

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 2:32pm

Did I forget to mention it was via my eye?! :D

I definately think its a good idea though, thanks for the info Tinks :)

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 2:37pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rivkamy SIL has just started weaning her 12 week old because as she says "he's a hungry baby".!

Oh goodness! :rolleyes:

I expect the baby opening waking her up during the night is what proves him to be 'hungry'?

Rivka

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 2:47pm

I think thats about the measure of it yes. Don't forget he is a "Big baby".

I do worry about her actually, she may not be my favourite person but I don't wish her any will and I actually have my concerns about how well she is coping, maybe PND? She was and is still one of those Can Do kind of people and she and my BIL said that the baby must fit into their schedule and not vice versa. They're finding thats just not possible and I think its taking its toll.

perhaps this early weaning is an attempt to take back some control and make some order but there could be ramifications.

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 2:49pm

Don't even get me started on early weaning!

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Rivka

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 3:00pm

12 weeks old is just too soon.

Missy

Superstar

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 4:43pm

Definately hun :(

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 4:48pm

my friend is dooing this with her baby and it is going absolutely great, she says she knows its a bit contraversial but she is really pleased with how her little one is getting on
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Saturday, June 9th 2007, 7:35pm

We started with wheat crackers before anything else... he feeds it to himself.
This was a great thread.
We haven't really started the weaning except for the magical crackers (swedish of course).
Have cooked parsnips now in big chunks!
Will let you know how he gets on!

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Torisen

Saturday, June 9th 2007, 7:50pm

aaaaaand the verdict is:

GREAT SUCCESS!!!
No probs what so ever with big pieces. He chomped away. Fed himself AND liked it!!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Chilli

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, June 9th 2007, 8:38pm

I attempted weaning at 18 weeks I think as I honestly felt she was ready but i gave up after one day and carried on BF till she was 6 months, when I reintroduced food at that age she had no problems at all with finger food and when I gave her her first bottle she held it on her own, she did take food off a spoon at around 7- 8 months and now at a year she refuses to be fed by me, she has to hold the spoon herself, she never manages to get any food on it or if she does it falls off but she is very determined, so the last few weeks I have only been able to give her solid food that she can hold.

I think it's a great idea and I would certainly follow it :))

Saturday, June 9th 2007, 11:29pm

JJ has had chunks/fingers of

Cheese
broccoli (didnt realise that florets were actually a rattle, dangly earing, tattoo, hair adornment!!!)
cauliflower
Avocado
toast
bics
bread
apricot
nectarine
banana
cucumber

all in mouth, most eaten some just played with.......but I did start early with finger food in the weaning as he kept grabbing stuff...still giving him pureed stuff too tho

anyone tried meat this way yet???

Torisen

Sunday, June 17th 2007, 10:14pm

Baby Led Weaning

Great article in the Observer today!

It made me so happy to read! Thank you so so soooooo much Tinkerbell for making me think about this!

Z is now almost 8 months and he is eating everything!
I never put him onto puree properly. At 6 1/2 months I tried but he did not seem to enjoy it so I just did not bother. The only thing he ate was sweet potatoes and not very much of it.
After Tinker told me about baby lead weaning (when Z was 7 just past months) I have been giving him big chunks of food.
He has never rejected anything. He goes from the least sweet food to the sweet food. He picks and chooses which food to eat and he has all the meals together with us!
He is so happy and just seem to love it!

Today me and my cousin whent out to a japanese resturant and he ate rice and soy beans.
Yesterday he had bread & beans when we had lunch at another resturant.

I truly hope that other new parents will read about this and end up as inspired as I am now!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,2104953,00.html
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Torisen

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 11:54am

I wish that all new parents got to experience the joy it is to take your child (young one) out to resturants and have them eat little bits of your own food!
Z has done spanish, chinese, vietnamese, gastro pub, plain pub etc.
He loooves it and it is so so civilised! I don't give him anything spicy or processed, just plain things like a bit of my salad, boiled potatoes, rice etc.

He chomps up/down rice, whole asparagus spears, bread, etc when we are out.
Sometimes I bring an omelette or some steamed apple etc but it is such a joy to share all meals with him!

Today for breakfast he had 1/4 of avocado (in slices) 1/2 banana (big chunk) and one slice of Finn Crisp (ryvita) and he just sat and ate with us whilst "talking" away!

It is such a joy not having to worry about what to give him when we go out for lunch.

He did choke once when we started but not badly. Since then he sometimes cramms to much into his mouth, he coughs and uses his tongue at the same time so that he moves the food to the front of his mouth and then he keeps on chewing.

He picks up tiny things, peas, rice etc and now knows how to get to the food in the middle of his hand!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 12:50pm

We take M out with us when we go out. She is a big fan of Pizza Express dough balls.

I don't want her to grow up thinking that the only places to eat out are where there is a special childrens menu with everything deep fried in orange breadcrumbs.

Torisen

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 12:52pm

(Z's first meal out was pizza crust at a pub) :D
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

mrsjasper

Megastar

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 12:55pm

M's was a suck on a prawn cracker in a Chinese!

Torisen

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 1:05pm

You get stuck to those if you lick them!! :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

lulu27

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 4:39pm

My little ones are 6 months next week and I want to give them finger foods, have some questions for you more experienced girlies

1)What foods did you start with??
2)how big do the chunks of food need to be??
3)Do you just put it all straight onto the highchair tray
4)Do you intervene at all, ie if you dont think they have eaten enough or just let them decide.
5)Is there anything they really shouldn't have ie choke risk etc
6) Can you give me some ideas for each meal.

Thanks, this seems such a more sensible approach to eating!!!

Rivka

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 5:20pm

1)What foods did you start with??

I started with cucumber sticks and other crudite. Chunks of tomoto or whole cherry tomatoes (only if there is a tooth or two though as they might struggle getting past the skin) Pieces of kiwi, banana. Cooked pasta shapes. Scrambled egg or slices of omletter babybel or other wedge of cheese. A little later I gave her strips of chicken and good cooked ham, cooked tuna steak.

2)how big do the chunks of food need to be??

I'd say it depends on the size of their hands. Big enough to get a good grip on

3)Do you just put it all straight onto the highchair tray

Yes

4)Do you intervene at all, ie if you dont think they have eaten enough or just let them decide.

I let Plum decide. It often looks like they've eaten next to nothing but don't forget they have tiny tums.

5)Is there anything they really shouldn't have ie choke risk etc

Others might say differently but I personally don't think there is much they can't manage so long as you are ready for a quick pat on the back if they get trouble. Some people say avoid apple and corrot unless softened a bit but I never had any problems with either.

6) Can you give me some ideas for each meal.

A bit of protein, a bit of carb and some lovely vegetables everytime eg. Spanish Omelette with some steamed and buttered mangetout and baby sweetcorn? Or a piece of cheese a couple of cherry tomatoes and a few pasta twirls?

Fruit for afters, yum

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rivka" (Jun 27th 2007, 5:21pm)

Torisen

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 5:23pm

I started with really big pieces of banana or papaya

Normal meal for Z is 2 veg, 1 fruit and some protein

Cauliflower
Asparagus,
broccoli
Carrot
Beans
peas (takes some practice to pick up and sometimes comes out whole again the other way)
Cucumber
bread
pasta (macaroni)

Apple (steamed halves, I found boats to small from the beginning since he swallowed them whole, with halves he has to chew)
Pear
Melon
etc.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Torisen

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 5:24pm

(Basically, what I eat, he gets a variation of...)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
Constantly craving sleep...

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 8:00pm

I am so keen to try this out but with C being sick he just was not intersted in food. Hopefully he will be more open to trying now as I certainly intend trying again. So far he has only tried a bit of toast, a baby biscuit and a piece of banana. He keeps biting off so huge a piece that he ends up gagging on it!

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Sunday, July 1st 2007, 9:36pm

Right I've just sat down to read Tinks link (oo it rhymes!) and its not working :rolleyes:

But I get the gist (?sp) of it. I give DD whatever we are having, within reason, and let her feed it to herself, is that right? Why do I find this out after I've filled the freezer with pureed pork and chicken casserole... She has finger foods like steamed veg, rice cakes, toast, pasta shapes and eggy bread which she loves to shove in all at once until her cheeks are all pouched like a little hampster, then she throws it on the floor! ... But I'll start giving her more 'solid' solids from now on and let her feed herself too.

Torisen

Sunday, July 1st 2007, 9:42pm

Rene, Z took a couple of weeks to get used to it but now when he shoves too much in he will first get watery eyes, cougn and move the food with his tongue and then keep on chomping!

He had very slippery macaroni tonight and had a bit of a tantrum!

This rye bread is great since they can't really chomp off too big bits. Only as much as will get soggy and break off:
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/getProductD…ll&sku=30213011
Great grip though and a big relief when teething!!!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Sunday, July 1st 2007, 11:42pm

Quoted

Originally posted by mrsjasper
Right I've just sat down to read Tinks link (oo it rhymes!) and its not working :rolleyes:

But I get the gist (?sp) of it. I give DD whatever we are having, within reason, and let her feed it to herself, is that right? Why do I find this out after I've filled the freezer with pureed pork and chicken casserole... She has finger foods like steamed veg, rice cakes, toast, pasta shapes and eggy bread which she loves to shove in all at once until her cheeks are all pouched like a little hampster, then she throws it on the floor! ... But I'll start giving her more 'solid' solids from now on and let her feed herself too.

ALternative link...that site seems to poofed into thin air!!!

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/startin…babyledweaning/

Sunday, July 1st 2007, 11:51pm

Mrs J.....chip sized chunks of whatever on the tray for her to choose from and just standby....little moos cheeses are great....JJ loves them tho it is scary quite how big the chunks are he shoves in his mouth....he cant close his mouth...BUT he manages to chomp through it........I still havent tried lumps of meat....but he gets soldier sandwiches and veg and fruit........giving him organic wholemeal pasta tomorrow.........when out you just need to be careful about the salt issue....i still take my own as most veg is cooked with salt in restaurants

Torisen

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 9:15am

Z does chunks of meat but most of the time he just sucks it to death when he can't chomp it off...
I just cut thin thin slices of the lamb yesterday and it was fine (rather than the monster piece of beef he got the first time) :D

I don't think that salt is THAT bad, I think it might be like everything else... everything in moderation... If you don't cook with salt at home for them and you only go out maybe once of twice a week I don't think that the veggies cooked with some salt is going to hurt them.
I just ask them not to add any butter or seasoning afterwards.

We use normal butter too when we fry eggs for him. (only a tiny bit though) and he gets normal mature cheddar that is fairly salty. But that is it really...
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 9:25am

Well she didn't want her weatabix this morning for some reason (maybe cos its minging) so she is currently chomping her way through a slice of toast spread with fruit puree, oh and filling her nappy at the same time, she can multitask!

Going to try the usual spoon fed mush at lunch but with dried apricots as finger food for pudding.

I think if I just gradually increase the amount she feeds herself she'll be fine and I won't have to chuck out my lovely homemade salmon and veg and pork casserole with cous cous.

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 9:32am

I mix the 2 hon...for his main meal I still feed him to make sure he gets his protein..so today he wil have pasta and bolognase sauce........but on the side I will give him some whole penne to eat as finger food as well as some smaller bits that I will feed him...I will also give him chunks of fruit to eat himself and yoghurt which I will feed him. FOr tea he will have ickle finger sandwiches and a little moo fruit and yoghurt. I struggle to see how without teeth they can effectively eat chunks of meat and withlout advanced feeding skills they can eat things like cottage pie so until then he will get both.....that way his nutrients are secure but his feeding skills are advancing.....best of both

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 9:35am

Like your two pronged approach Tink.

Annabel Karmel says (I can't find the actual quote) babies gums are very hard so they can chew pretty well with those.

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 9:42am

yep but still not sure about meat ...he chews really well but meat is so hard to chew sometimes even with teeth!!

Have yuo given M any little moos yet...I know you pay for the packaging but they are the perfect size for ickle hands to grasp and shove striaght in their mouth...designed to deliver lots of cheese dribbly fun to them and heart attacks to us!!!!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 10:05am

I give her tesco organic cheese cut into chunks, not seen moos but will look out for them. Cearphilly is a current favourite.

If you get good quality steak and chicken and cut it into little strips across the grain before you cook it, it wouldn't be so tough. ALthough I admit I haven't tried it yet. Our local butcher will give us little bits of meat for DD for free, he says he's like a drug dealer, gives small samples to get her hooked for life. Its working!

Better go, think she's just eaten a dead fly off the floor! 8o

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 10:25am

ooh lovely, added protein in one easy chew free lump..just what a class girl ordered!!!!

Will only give him organic meat at the mo as clearyl I dont want him to grow boobies bigger than mine

Admin note...Please note in no way am i suggesting that eating non organic eat will cause harm or disfiguration to anyones children..this comment is meant lightheartedly and with cheek stuffed with tongue! FZ does not support the view that hormonal meat can raise your voice an octave or 2 or any other cheek stuffing views either for that matter...hormonal women..now well thats a whole other ball game!!!!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "tinkerbell" (Jul 2nd 2007, 1:54pm)

Torisen

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 12:06pm

there is protein in lots and lots of food. Not only meat.
Cheese (dairy in general), eggs, pulses, legumes etc. so I am not to worried when he doesn't eat all of the meat. It is more fun than nutriscional :) (how on earth do you spell that!!!!?)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

lulu27

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 1:27pm

OMG I have a proud Mummy moment, cut up some cucumber sticks and Ruby picked them up and loved sucking on them and she sucked on half a rice cake!!! Seb is getting there but is a bit slower on the uptake. I'm kind of feeding them too as they aren't really eating the food just chomping on it, am I doing right???

lulu27

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 1:30pm

Ps my ticker gives makes them look far too young but they are 6 months on fri, but were 26 weeks on sat.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE